Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contradicting feedback on the 6.5Grendel for hunting

Reap- take the leap, of faith. My 20" grendel replaced my 26" 7mm mag.,as my main hunting gun. It has been performing at about 2/3rds. the power/damage -to deer as my- backup .308. Accuracy is inspiring also. Bullet choices are -good- and still growing. You won't be disappointed.

hydrotech
    Wow stokesrj! That big horn is awesome! I worked for the grand canyon science center for a couple years before moving back to Missouri. I never did hunt out there because there was no hunting in the park, and I really didn't have any skills for the vast terrain of adjacent forest service land, and I didn't meet any co workers or befriend any hunters while out there working for the park service. Sure was different from Missouri. Lots of anti hunting vegetarians and hippies where I was Lol! But I sure loved watching the wildlife. I found an atypical mike deer shed with 9 points on one antler and always hoped to find a big horn skull but never did. I sure like that bighorn you got! I really like reading your posts too, sounds like you have a lot if knowledge to share.

elkbow
    screw the rifles, too easy, use a bow, my 2010 New Mexico Bull Elk:

awesome Sheep stokes....

Last edited by elkbow; 02-09-2012 at 06:11 AM.

Ullr
    "Several sources I have talked to say that the 6.5 Grendel would be nothing better than a coyote round."

Clearly, these people have absoplutely no knowledge of the ballistics of the round. Or, they are the sort who think that it takes a .340 Weatherby to kill a deer.

The 6.5 Grendel is, ballistically speaking, a long range .30-30. Whatever you think can be done with a .30-30, the Grendel can do at roughly twice the distance. In my book, that is elk out to 200 yards or so, and deer and antelope out to farther than I would shoot. Of course, if you want to shoot coyotes you can do that, too.

IMGP0178C.jpg

JASmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Ullr View Post
    The 6.5 Grendel is, ballistically speaking, a long range .30-30. Whatever you think can be done with a .30-30, the Grendel can do at roughly twice the distance. In my book, that is elk out to 200 yards or so, and deer and antelope out to farther than I would shoot. Of course, if you want to shoot coyotes you can do that, too.
    Nicely said!

Your rule of thumb takes into account both bullet performance and "average" hunter ability to judge range, wind, slope, etc. and to make ethical shots!

Smoke
    This comes from a gun dealer and competitive Long range shooter ..

I have killed many deer with many calibers at very long distances ( up to 437 Yds)

the grendel kills them just as dead as my 300 WBY did with much less recoil and sound ..
    Thats all I need to stick with the grendel

Thanks

Smoke

hm2 clark
    And.. I dont think it even posible to get "scoped" by grendel.

HPW
    I would have no problem using the Grendel on antelope and deer, in fact that's what I carried this year while hunting for them. Just didn't find any keepers. I was with my buddy when he took his elk at 300 yards with a 6.5, while not a Grendel, the bullet performed well. I personally would want a little more energy at range on a big bull elk or moose, but only if comfortable shooting it. There is a lot to be said about a round that you can shoot consistently and have faith in its accuracy when it comes time to pull the trigger with fur in the scope.

LRRPF52
    When you look at all the game and types of game that have been taken with the 6.5 Swede, especially taking into consideration that it was loaded to very mild pressures back from its introduction through the last century, it's hysterical to see hunters in the US turn their nose up at the Grendel as not being enough gun/caliber. I mean, the Swede has been used for everything from rabbits to elephants, and is the go-to cartridge in Northern Europe for Moose. It just is. Someone forgot to give them the memo I guess.

JASmith
    Got to remember that we americans think we invented "bigger, faster, better..."

Small wonder that some think that 300 Magnum is the lightest practical game caliber -- my dad did. Actually he used a .375 H&H Magnum for deer and rabbits.
    Last edited by JASmith; 02-20-2012 at 07:38 PM.

akula682
    I guess you all didnt get the "memo"...
    North American game animals started wearing body armor about 15-20 years ago. (id post a pic of the "letter" that the Game Animal Representative gave me 20 years ago, but it was written on a moist cow patty and has since turned to dust.)

thats why we need bigger and bigger guns... and THATS why the Grendel is not "enough".

Deezil
    hahaha, must use at least a .338 edge for 4 legged animals now.

JASmith
    Squirrels have been using foxholes for some time now...need an even bigger cannon to get through that dirt!

Deezil
    brilliant!

NRA Member, SAF Member Central Washington State
    I'm telling you, there IS a reason I went to the Beowulf for prairie dog hunting!

Those concrete bunkers are getting tougher and tougher!

I'm seriously thinking about one of these for my next prairie dog hunt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_Avenger
    ”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Deezil
    come on now, quit toying around..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohy9gWz7kk

JASmith
    I did BDA for the A10/GAU8 in 1975 at Nellis -- Impressive! That small bullet could actually get through more than a couple of inches of armor.

It would indeed surprise a squirrel that thought he was safe!

Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
    I did BDA for the A10/GAU8 in 1975 at Nellis -- Impressive! That small bullet could actually get through more than a couple of inches of armor.

It would indeed surprise a squirrel that thought he was safe!
    I have one barrel from one. Unfortunately that's as far as I ever got. It's been leaning in the corner of my buddies gun shop for years. I wish I'd have followed through on the project before I got married and had a family, but maybe I'll get back to it someday.

That's why I had to switch to the Grendel in the first place. I needed that sectional density for all of those up armored white tails!LOL

JASmith
    That project would certainly "one-up" the Knights folks' .950 JDJ in the link a few posts back!

LRRPF52
    A 30mm Anti-Tank rifle would be sick. Every neighborhood should have one, just in case. It would be perfect for where I live, since we can find distances that challenge any rifle/optic/cartridge to shoot at. A 30mm HEDP or API would be way too much fun on boulders.