• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
    That is what I want to use on the helo hunt :P
    The guy that owns that gun is actually trying to make that happen.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

That is blasted awesome! I love America!

Comment

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
        That is what I want to use on the helo hunt :P
        Have you thought of contacting Dillon directly?

Comment

• Kikn
          Warrior
          • Nov 2011

I have no idea who Dillon is or how to get a hold of him. But I sure wouldn't mind kicking the tires on such an extravagant hunt.

Comment

Try going to http://www.dillonaero.com/. These guys are the folks who manufacture and support the M134 Gatling Gun (aka minigun) in the 7.62 NATO cartridge.

They might hesitate, but it might be worth a try.

Their favorite sighting technique involves a lot of tracers, but it might not be viable in the civilian environment.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              A 30mm Anti-Tank rifle would be sick. Every neighborhood should have one, just in case. It would be perfect for where I live, since we can find distances that challenge any rifle/optic/cartridge to shoot at. A 30mm HEDP or API would be way too much fun on boulders.
              That's what I wanted to do with it. I wanted to make a towed anti-tank instead though. Sorta like the old 37mm WWII guns. I wanted to use shocks for recoil mitigation and scope it up with a Nightforce and clamp on an Attila laser for night engagements. I screwed around too much and missed the boat on the Philco Ford brass that RVOW used to have though. There was an outfit out in Oregon that offered to make me a semi auto single shot action for it, but it was fourteen grand and I didn't have the scratch to pull it off. Even the practice rounds would have been a hoot. Think of a solid steel 30mm hollow point round with a large cavity topped off with an aluminum dummy fuse to initiate expansion on hard targets. Kinda like a ballistic tip made of steel and aluminum for the harder targets in life.LOL
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                The hogs are getting REALLY bad here in Texas. We had to switch to miniguns...

http://s842.photobucket.com/albums/z...onwildhogs.mp4
                Holy crap that is cool, but it'd cost a lot to keep one of those fed!LOL
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

6.5 Grendel my deer gun

I have taken 2 deer with my Grendel. One 275 lb 10 pt Ohio buck. Dropped in his tracks at 110 yds with my Hornady 129 SST loads. Shot a large Virginia doe probably 120 lb. at 92 yds, same thing, dropped in her tracks. I admit shot placement is key, but this cartridge is boss! Have taken other deer with .300 R U M, and they went 10 to 75 yds. So I am the head cheerleader of the Grendel for deer. I would not use it on Elk! Although I dropped a 1000 lb 8x8 Elk that actually hunted me & my guide, that was not normal, who decided to charge me at 8 steps. Double tapped him with my AR 10 in .308 with my own Barnes 180 gr TSX loads. He went less than 15 yds and crashed.

Comment

10 deer in 2 years Hunting All dead, no run offs. low recoil, low sound and I hear the hit ..
                    All pluses in my book ..

PS I own a gun shop, build and test many AR's and other guns and still love the grendel
                    have a hard time finding a hunting caliber for deer that will change my mind ..

Comment

• Deer Hunter

I know im late to the conversation but i killed a nice 190 lb 8 pt 115 Boone and Crocket deer last year with my J & T Distribution 24"SS Grendel. He dropped right where i shot him at 250+ yards. My go to deer rifle is a Savage .308 with accutrigger Nikon Monarch 4-16-50 BDC and it knocked that deer down just as easy and actually the Hornady 123 A max made a nastier hole than my Superformance SST come to think of it. Im not sure whos telling you what but their full of crap. Now i will say this, its a really heavy gun, go with the 18". Im building my 2nd Grendel now and im building it to take up a tree, hike with and 3-500 yards in mind. I hope to have it done by opening day if the finances can get it done, if not ive got my 1st one. Get a Grendel, you wont regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper1 View Post
                        Thanks for the info. Several sources I have talked to say that the 6.5 Grendel would be nothing better than a coyote round. Others, like yourself, are saying that it is a great deer rifle. I am a huge fan of the AR platform and have a strong interest in this particular round.
                        Don't believe the ballistic information from the kids who ride the short bus to school. They may be well meaning but they know not of what they speak.

Comment

It's also interesting to note that many alternate caliber AR15 enthusiasts and manufacturers are working feverishly to get their cartridges to do what the Grendel does, while most Grendel shooters don't even bother with shooting the varmint-weight bullets just to get high velocities because it doesn't help any on medium game or targets at distance.

The 120gr SST load from Hornady for the 6.8 is an example of trying to do what the Grendel does, and comes really close.

SSA has also loaded the 140gr Berger Hunting VLD for the 6.8, which is coming out at 2400fps from a 16" carbine.

No matter how hard people try, the 6.5mm 129gr SST or 130gr Scirocco will still match or out-gas those loads when run 50fps faster for the 140gr Berger, and the performance on game lies in Hornady's court. That said, these two loads for the 6.8 are very close as to trajectory.

With the Grendel, we still have at least a dozen other projectiles that are in the .430-.571 G1 BC range, for 120-130gr pills, from Barnes, Hornady, Speer, Swift, Nosler, & Norma. To get those BC's with .277, you need 130-150gr weights, which are really meant for the .270 Winchester, .270 Weatherby Magnum, etc.

Comment

• david7992
                            Unwashed
                            • Nov 2016

reloading questions.

I just started reloading for the Grendel and the 260 Remington. I have been using Varget for both but was wondering about something different for the Grendel to get the best performance. I have a variety of bullets ranging from 110 AMAX up to the new 130 ELD. I also have some 120 and 140GN Nosler I just picked up for the 260. Can/should I go up and try the 140 in the Grendel? I will be target shooting and hunting with both. I have a AR platform and Howa Mini Action bolt in the Grendel. Any input in appreciated!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

First, david, welcome to the Horde. You're in good company, here.

Second, please note that this is a 4+ year old post, with information that may or may not still be current - most of which isn't even relevant to your question. Why not start your own, rather than resurrect a long dead thread? That way, you're certain to reap new and current information from the responders.
                              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                              X