Clear All
  • hill37
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

New GI 6mmARC mag Search

• Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Interesting. Navy, so the improved magazines are likely for the SEALs who are the likely military contract origin for the 6mm ARC. Better mags are better for everyone so I hope it happens soon.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

These could be sourced through Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center in Southern Indiana. Crane procures a lot of equipment and performs testing for the Special Operations community (SOCOM). It is very common for different branches of the military to provide resources to different units across the military. At one time all K9 dogs and explosive detection training was completed in Florida for all of DoD. A lot of joint bases these days.

Comment

• Lemonaid
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
        These could be sourced through Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center in Southern Indiana. Crane procures a lot of equipment and performs testing for the Special Operations community (SOCOM). It is very common for different branches of the military to provide resources to different units across the military. At one time all K9 dogs and explosive detection training was completed in Florida for all of DoD. A lot of joint bases these days.
        Sounds like you have a better bead on this than me. So much for the simple answer.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
          Sounds like you have a better bead on this than me. So much for the simple answer.
          IMO, the "simple answer" is probably correct. Taking into account the statement from Hornady that 6mm ARC was developed at the request of an unnamed, but well-known, U.S. military unit, together with this notice from Crane, I think it's very likely that the project was indeed originated by and for the SEALs.

However, considering that the request is for an existing 6 ARC magazine, together with the 4 September response date, I wouldn't count on getting a new and better magazine.

Comment

• hill37
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

One may not exist that meets all the requirements.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

I'm sure a few existing ones we know will get thrown in.
              the CPD duramag, maybe the Pri 6.8 with a blue follower, ....
              One of our familiars just re-vamped their 20 round mag with different curvature, (forget the brand) could be this is why.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-08-2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Seeing as how neither Lancer nor PRI ever bothered making 6.5 Grendel mags, I can't imagine they would spend the time and $$$ to develop a completely new mag for the much smaller 6 ARC market.

Just out of curiousity, what did Knight's Armament have to do with development of PRI's 6.8 mag? I've never heard of KAC having any interest in that caliber.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Try for some .mil money? I'd think that the military needs, at most, a few hundred mags. With the ammo cost that PRI would have to incur for function testing to ensure they meet the reliability requirement, they'd probably lose money on the deal. Just sayin.

Comment

• hill37
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

If it was a superior mag, they would maybe make their profit on civilian sales?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by hill37 View Post
                            If it was a superior mag, they would maybe make their profit on civilian sales?
                            Agreed. With anything 6MM arc/ 6.5 grendel if the mil wants it, they will get it and whatever company makes it will make a killing saleing it too the civilian market.

Comment

Working...
                            X