X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

I just saw this thread and also just bought a box of 100gr Hornady match bullets.

They are listed as Purple Polymer Tip (PPT) but it looks like dark orchid to me.

IMG_20170921_120820 (Medium).jpg

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

This is what Bill A spoke to me of a while back. It's fine to go lighter in wt. The Grrr was originally designed to shoot pills in the 95-110 class of wts. That works well for a many for hunting situations.

And Target shooting. Heavy wts work also. Do a ton of research on here.

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
        I just saw this thread and also just bought a box of 100gr Hornady match bullets.

They are listed as Purple Polymer Tip (PPT) but it looks like dark orchid to me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9782[/ATTACH]
        Where did you find those? They look like 6mm Nosler Ballistic tips.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
          Where did you find those? They look like 6mm Nosler Ballistic tips.
          They were from a bulk buy on Midway. I ordered one box of 250 for $45 but should have bought 4 boxes. They were gone from Midway the next day.

Comment

• Smokehouse_83
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2017

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
            This is what Bill A spoke to me of a while back. It's fine to go lighter in wt. The Grrr was originally designed to shoot pills in the 95-110 class of wts. That works well for a many for hunting situations.

And Target shooting. Heavy wts work also. Do a ton of research on here.
            Makes me wonder why it wasn't developed in 6mm.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
              They were from a bulk buy on Midway. I ordered one box of 250 for $45 but should have bought 4 boxes. They were gone from Midway the next day.
              They are 100gr ELD-M if they have the dark orchid color tips. These are the harder tips from the ELD line that were cross-pollinated to the other target bullets so they aren't sourcing multiple tips when it really doesn't matter.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

6.5mm bullet display from Lehigh Defense at 2018 SHOT:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Very, very close to optimized 6.5 Grendel bullets I've envisioned. Will have to check some out.

I weep for the beauty of that ogive on the 121gr Match Solid!
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Unlucky7
                    Unwashed
                    • May 2018

Any one got some info on Hornady 129 sp . With some IMR 8208 behind it ??

Comment

• NotEnoughSand
                      Unwashed
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Unlucky7 View Post
                      Any one got some info on Hornady 129 sp . With some IMR 8208 behind it ??
                      I just shot this yesterday. Well, the left half of it.
                      This is all at 100yd through a PF Neptune IV 18"; New Hornady brass, S&B standard SR primers.
                      Shooting for an OBT node and it looks like I found it at 26.8 grains.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Greengo10
                        Bloodstained
                        • Aug 2018

I am brand new to 6.5 Grendel, and I just started some load development... trying to figure out what my 20" SS spiral fluted BCA barrel likes. Also I like shooting bullets that are heavy for caliber and started my tests with some 140 grain Match Monsters from MidsouthShootersSupply.com over 22.2-25.2 grains of Varget, in Hornady Brass using WSR primers, and a C.O.A.L. of 2.255". I don't have a chronograph yet, so I don't have any velocity numbers for my loads. Only pressure signs i had were extractor swipes on the rim, which i think is due to the gun being over-gassed (let me know if you think I'm wrong, as I'm still learning when it comes to reloading). My best group was at 24.6 grains of varget reaping a .95" 5 shot group, and 4 of the shots were within 1/3".
                        IMG_9767 (1).JPG

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

I would caution against running any kind of load development without the assistance of a chronograph. You're missing out on too much data used in determining safety margins and trouble signs. I'm no expert in load development, but of the many posts I've read about Grendel load development, often from some of the original testers - the common thread is that it doesn't show the typical pressure signs most look for until things are too far gone because it's such a low working pressure cartridge. The Grendel MAP is 55k, but normal pressure signs (primer flattening/cratering, case web expansion, extractor swipes) don't typically show up until over 60k. The best and safest pressure indicator in Grendel is the slight drop in velocity despite increasing your charge weight. Usually only a 20-30 fps drop noticed in the next incremental step up. You will gain again on the next step after typically, but now you're over pressure and should back down again. This is all exacerbated when using a powder not usually associated with a particular cartridge like Varget, 4350, RL15, because other issues start showing up like pressure spikes at low charge levels. Be careful!
                          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• pinetreebbs
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2013

Anyone else tried PRVI PARTIZAN BULLET 6.5MM (.264) 120gr HPBT bullets?

I had a few of them I pulled from recalled PPU 6.5 Grendel rounds I loaded up over 20.5 grains of X-Terminator and they shot pretty well at 100 yards in my Howa 1500 Mini. I plan to try them with CFE2233

PPU120.jpg

Average FPS: 2162
                            ES: 84
                            SD: 23

Please excuse the masking tape over the group, I didn't take a picture until after they were taped over for another round of testing.
                            Last edited by pinetreebbs; 08-30-2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

A friend bought several hundred from Graf’s and has gotten decent groups out to 300 yards. I don’t think he has shot any further than 300 yards. I can’t remember if he used Accurate 2520 or CFE 223 powder. I’ve shot several hundred Wolf Gold which uses the same bullet. I have gotten decent accuracy with this bullet in all my 6.5 Grendel AR-15’s. The Ballistic Coefficient is not as high as some other 6.5/264 bullets but I like it for shorter range use.

Comment

• louielouie
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jul 2018

Just picked up a box of Barnes 120 gr Match Burners and sent them an email asking for load info since it isn't on their website and isn't in QuickLoad.
                                Basic measurements I put in QL:
                                Length 1.175"
                                Small diameter of tail: 0.230"
                                Length of taper: 0.120
                                Resulting angle 8.1 deg
                                pressure ring diameter of .2645"
                                Barnes reports G1 of .460

Using Hdy seating length tool in BCA upper:
                                Barnes 120 MB 2.214" Max OAL
                                PRVI 120 HPBT 2.262"
                                Hdy 123 Amax 2.261"
                                Blem 129 Red tip 2.33"