X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Now, getting one's hands on them is another matter, altogether.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• nimitzman
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2016

We have shot allot of deer with match king h.p. with good results in .308 and 6.5x55. any experience with the grendel??

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by nimitzman View Post
        We have shot allot of deer with match king h.p. with good results in .308 and 6.5x55. any experience with the grendel??
        Keep in mind that the "hollow point" at the front of the Sierra MathKing and similar match bullets is NOT there to promote expansion. Rather, it allows the base of the bullet to be copper covered and avoids recoil and feeding induced damage to the nose.

From a practical point of view, many hunting bullets exhibit excellent accuracy, meaning 0.5 to 1.0 moa for five shot groups, so there is little advantage to using a match bullet to precisely place shots in game.

So, yes, folks do have some success with these bullets, other bullets of the same weight but purpose-designed and manufactured for hunting have better game anchoring ability. Many of these excellent performing game bullets are about the same price or slightly less expensive than the MatchKing to boot.
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Threefeathers
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Savage Shooter View Post
          Another new 6.5 bullet. "Introducing The New 6.5mm 130gr AR Hybrid OTM Tactical Bullet!" http://www.bergerbullets.com/new-65-...-otm-tactical/

It might be a bit heavy for the Grendel, but with a G1 BC of .584 (2500 - 3000 fps) compared to the 123 Amax's 0.510, FOR SOME Grendel barrels it might offer some long range possibilities.

"The 6.5mm 130 grain AR Hybrid will be barely stable from a 1:9” twist, and reaches full stability from a 1:8” twist which is common for many 6.5mm rifles. Visit the Berger Bullets twist rate calculator to get more detailed stability information on your specific barrel twist, muzzle velocity and environment."
          Thank you for this information. Berger bullets hav long been my favorite bullets for accuracy in other calibers AND in my 6.5 Swede, so I just have to see if I can develop a load.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Added:

100gr Hornady ELD-M
            120gr ELD-M
            123gr ELD-M
            130gr Berger Hybrid OTM
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bwild97
              Warrior
              • Jan 2015

Is the Amax line still available? If not, should they be removed from the list?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

My understanding is that the AMAX line is being replaced by the ELD-M, but there are so many AMAXs out there, that people will still want the data for them.

I have stacks and stacks of them, for example, in 123gr and 140gr weights.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lesbaer45
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  My understanding is that the AMAX line is being replaced by the ELD-M, but there are so many AMAXs out there, that people will still want the data for them.

I have stacks and stacks of them, for example, in 123gr and 140gr weights.

Yes I have quite the stash of 120g AMAX along with a moderate amount of 100g.

Comment

• Bigs28
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2016

I just got a reloading kit yesterday. Was wondering what is a inexpensive bullet to shoot allot of?

And what's the first powder I should start with at sea level out of the Alexandr arms 16" barrel?
                    Last edited by Bigs28; 06-08-2017, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• JASmith
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2014

Look at Remington, Speer, and Sierra hunting bullets.

Powder? Start with the 6.5 Grendel Reloading handbooks and pick one that users on this forum suggest is good for your bullet weight.

Powder vs altitude? Best bet is to go for accuracy at 100 yds to start with, then move only if experience and research suggest a change.
                      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Bigs28
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2016

I'm ordering the books and dies today but wanted to order the powder primers and bullets to so I have everything when the books get here.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2013

I started shooting 100 gr bullets out of a 25-06 years ago so I like the lighter pills in my Grendel.

A common rule of thumb around here is xbr8208 for 100 gr class and cfe223 for heavier

I've been using the 100 gr Nosler bt. I don't know where it stands price wise.

If you want my recipes shoot me a pm.
                          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Short Barreled Rifle
                            Unwashed
                            • Apr 2017

Just a suggestion:

It would be helpful to list the minimum expansion velocities if known for the hunting bullets. Just cause 'x' bullet is able to be loaded in the cartridge doesn't necessarily mean it's performance matches the catridge's performance envelope.

As an example, almost every .308 bullet in the world can be loaded in a 300 BLK, but that doesn't mean that save but a few are effective from a terminal perspective.

Comment

• Troutguide
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2017

Yup!
                              "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Short Barreled Rifle View Post
                                Just a suggestion:

It would be helpful to list the minimum expansion velocities if known for the hunting bullets. Just cause 'x' bullet is able to be loaded in the cartridge doesn't necessarily mean it's performance matches the catridge's performance envelope.

As an example, almost every .308 bullet in the world can be loaded in a 300 BLK, but that doesn't mean that save but a few are effective from a terminal perspective.
                                The difference is the vast majority of .30 caliber bullets are meant for .308, .30-06, and .300 Win Mag, with some exceptions for the slower .30-30 Winchester.

With 6.5mm, the majority of the projectiles have been meant for the 6.5x55 Mauser, 6.5x54 Mannlicher, then later the .260 Remington. .264 Win Mag has been an outlier, but is typically loaded with 140gr class. 6.5x284 started out as a wildcat for 1000yd Bench Rest shooting 142gr SMKs and 139gr Scenars, but is also a great hunting cartridge with the appropriate bullets.

With higher BCs, you get more retained impact speed, so cut off roughly 200yds from the larger cases like the x55 and .260 Rem as a general rule when comparing the same barrel lengths between Grendel and .260 Rem. I have both, and I see anywhere from 150-225yds to where the .260 Rem will hit 6.5 Grendel mv with the exact same bullet.

We did across the velocity spectrum terminal ballistics tests showing expansion with many different hunting bullets in Volume II, with graphs that show weight, penetration, and expansion for some of the different projectiles.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X