• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    Ok, back home now. I had some 85gr Hollow Points and a 123gr HPBT in a package from one of you, just can't connect the name to your screen name, but thanks all the same. I'm not sure if the 123gr you sent is a SMK or Scenar.
    Welcome home! That was me that sent those. I thought I stuck a note in there, but I'm pretty scatter brained of late. The 85 grainers are Sierra HP, and the 123 grainer is a Sierra MK. I wasn't sure whether you still needed one of those, so I just tossed it in. I'm just glad the package made it there after the post office ate the first one.LOL (I sent a box to Bill, and it's a good thing I used a ton of tape on it, because Bill said it looked like a shapeless pillow when it got to him. I think the mule team on my end beats the mail up too much.)
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Y85
      Warrior
      • Sep 2012

thanks again -- is Hornady's AMAX a hunting bullet? does it expand at all? I'm not a reloader (yet).

Comment

• There are conflicting statements from Hornady on what it is for, but it was meant as a target bullet. That said, guys & gals have been getting great results with it on hogs, coyotes, deer, and even dall sheep in Alaska.

I personally wouldn't choose it for medium game that require a tag with all the other hunting bullets that are available, but I wouldn't hesitate to blast hogs and coyotes with it. It would be nice to have a 123gr bullet with the profile and BC of the 123gr AMAX, but with the construction of an SST or Interbond. We're so spoiled with projectile selection already though.

Comment

• I might have missed it, but have you received any yet that have a solid tip (non expanding)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Variable View Post
            Welcome home! That was me that sent those. I thought I stuck a note in there, but I'm pretty scatter brained of late. The 85 grainers are Sierra HP, and the 123 grainer is a Sierra MK. I wasn't sure whether you still needed one of those, so I just tossed it in. I'm just glad the package made it there after the post office ate the first one.LOL (I sent a box to Bill, and it's a good thing I used a ton of tape on it, because Bill said it looked like a shapeless pillow when it got to him. I think the mule team on my end beats the mail up too much.)
            Thanks for sending those again, if I didn't already. Another forum member sent me the special wrenches for the pre-64 Winchester Model 70 trigger adjustment. Instead, I got a mangled set of earphones with some poor sucker's return form printed out in it, packed into a "We're sorry we destroyed your mail." envelope from the USPS. I'm guessing the wrenches met a similar fate.

Comment

• According to the Barnes website, their .264" 127gr LRX-BT bullet has a B.C. of .468 and their 120gr TAC-X bullet has a B.C. of .381. Ty Herring just confirmed the B.C. of their 100gr Barnes TAC-TX is .359.

Thanks, Dinny
              Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2012, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• rickOshay
                Warrior
                • Apr 2012

Thanks Dinny. I'll make a note to update the list.

Now if you could just get those BC's for the Original X's ...........

Comment

• 100gr Barnes Solid = .395
                  120gr Barnes XFB = .441
                  120gr Barnes Solid = .453
                  130gr Barnes XFB = .479
                  130gr Barnes Solid = .461
                  140gr Barnes XFB = .522
                  140gr XLC FB = .522

These are all pre-TSX bullets, but are still solid copper bullet, no lead.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Von Gruff
                    Chieftain
                    • Apr 2012

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• This is great news for 3 of my rifles:

Grendel
                      .260 Rem
                      .270 Winchester

Can you post a link for this? I couldn't find anything about it on Nosler's site.

Comment

• This adds to the Grendel's robustness as a hunting cartridge if the claims hold true.

The 1300 ft/sec "optimum performance" velocity means that a Grendel-launched bullet will still have significant game-harvesting potential beyond 600 yards.

Most of us would be crazy to try a shot like that against a deer at that range even in calm winds.

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Interesting. I'm wondering about how accurate those BC's are. Berger lists their 7mm 180 Hybrid at .674, and the 175 above is shown at .672. That's an incredible BC for a hunting bullet!

Comment

• Von Gruff
                            Chieftain
                            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            This is great news for 3 of my rifles:

Grendel
                            .260 Rem
                            .270 Winchester

Can you post a link for this? I couldn't find anything about it on Nosler's site.
                            Sorry, not from the Nosler people but here is the poster saying he has permission to notify http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...3/m/9721055181
                            http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                            Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• Interesting. I'm wondering about how accurate those BC's are. Berger lists their 7mm 180 Hybrid at .674, and the 175 above is shown at .672. That's an incredible BC for a hunting bullet!
                              That's what I noticed as well. Those BC's are way high. Look at the one for the 150gr .270...or even 150gr 7mm. I wonder how long the 129gr 6.5mm is. There seems to be a growing trend with the main hunting bullet makers to introduce long-range pills with reduced expansion thresholds. Barnes has the LRX, a 127gr for the 6.5mm bore, which is quite long for the Grendel. Hornady has the 120gr GMX.

I'm not complaining about projectile availability with the Grendel though, especially after having to try to track them all down. The truth is, we are quite spoiled. I doubt any member here will be able to find enough weekends or days in retirement to test all the different 6.5mm pills in the Grendel.

Comment

• sneaky one
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

I can see that as a 117-120 easily. Plenty of base to tweak. BC's sound overrated-G2 maybe? Ahhh, anything new is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X