• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickOshay
    Warrior
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
    How do we prevent malicious or ill-informed tinkering with the data?
    Good question. I guess it's true for all posts here. You have to use all data with caution.

The data would be backed up periodically to prevent complete loss. open to suggestions on malicious fiddling.

Comment

I hate to be a wet blanket but viruses are also a concern. Could some scumbag implant something then the next guy that opens it get zapped?

Comment

Originally posted by rickOshay View Post
        Have you tried taking a screen capture of your Excel window? Or you could email the spreadsheet to me and I'll be happy to convert and post.
        Did you get my email? I couldn't attach the spreadsheet through the forum, we need to do that email direct.

Comment

• rickOshay
          Warrior
          • Apr 2012

Got the email. Thanks.

Another option is to password protect it and limit access to members.

I guess its possible that a member would add a virus.

Other ideas? Are we willing to risk it ?

Comment

Other Ideas --

The surest would be to institute a sticky thread with two spread sheets updated periodically as the first post.
            • The first would be for those where the sheetmaster would place AR-Friendly, meaning loads with max pressures less than 50ksi.
            • The second would be for Bolt-Guns only with the absolute maximum pressure for a postable load being the 63ksi listed in Ramshot and Accurate Arms load manuals for the 6mm PPC. This would also be the sheet where loads with longer than AR magazine-length COALs would go.

The second post should be a template showing minimum acceptable data and "nice to have" information. This would help both the posters and the sheetmaster.

Members post their new/favorite loads the way we normally do now.

The OP or agreed-on sheetmaster would have the responsibility for checking the reasonableness of posted loads and whether it should be classed as an "AR-Friendly" or "Bolt-Only" load. Only then would he or she update the master sheet and upload to the first or second post as an edit.

Comment

• rickOshay
              Warrior
              • Apr 2012

After thinking about this - I think the way to control it would be to have only one or two "sheet masters" who have passwords to the spreadsheet to have access to edit. They would then post a PDF version for all members to access for info.

Members would send their info directly or post to the sheet master(s).

Would this work?

Comment

Good ideas guys. Access to a Skicky by forum members to a non-editable PDF file that would be maintained by a forum member(sheet master) sounds good.

Could one of the administer weigh in here or are we barking up the wrong tree?

Comment

• rickOshay
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2012

Here is a link to the first page of data Whelenon sent me - hunting bullets sorted by weight and then by BC: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34132774/Gre...0Selection.pdf

Is this the type of output the members are looking for?

Comment

Excellent start!

While there are multiple lists of bullet lengths already available on the web, it would be very convenient if they could be worked in with the database you are starting.

The other is how you plan to create space for bullets where the manufacturer is kind enough to publish velocity-dependent BC's, e. g. Sierra.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Pretty cool. The Hornady 129 IB, SP, and SST are listed as "139gr" though. Change that to 129gr.

There's also the Swift 130gr Scirrocco that should be included, with a .571 G1 BC.

Comment

Originally posted by rickOshay View Post
                        Here is a link to the first page of data Whelenon sent me - hunting bullets sorted by weight and then by BC: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34132774/Gre...0Selection.pdf

Is this the type of output the members are looking for?
                        First off lets give credit to where credit is due, LRRPF52 put this list together and got the ball rolling. Thank you LRRPF52.

rickOshay,
                        Nice work, looks like a plan. To me it makes sense to have bullets listed by category(hunting/varmint/target) then sorted by bullet weight then by BC. New information could be added by any member by sending it to "spreadsheet master" via PM.

That's my 2 cents anyone else like to weight in here?

Comment

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
                          ...rickOshay,
                          Nice work, looks like a plan. To me it makes sense to have bullets listed by category(hunting/varmint/target) then sorted by bullet weight then by BC. New information could be added by any member by sending it to "spreadsheet master" via PM.

That's my 2 cents anyone else like to weight in here?
                          Excellent!

Very little effort for the spreadsheet master and the essential firewalls are there.

Comment

I would also like to have a picture of all the Grendel projectiles in a line-up, which will be fun to put together. Maybe several people could send me one of each of the bullets that I don't have, and I could do the line-up photo with each projectile numbered and annotated. I get tired of the 6.8 SPC Bullets photo with several GS Custom Solids in the list, banned bullets shown, and bullets that won't even mag-feed from an AR COAL listed, with that being used as evidence that there are more projectiles available for the 6.8, when nothing could be further from the truth. I actually believed that claim until I researched what was available for the Grendel just up to the 130gr class of bullets from big-name manufacturers, let alone the speciality bullet makers and 140gr projectiles that still will feed through the Grendel.

There are way more 6.5mm bullets out there than there ever will be for .277 bores, and .264" bores haven't been popular in the US until recently with the growing tide of .260 Remington, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5x47 Lapua rifles, with a slowly increasing resurgence in the .264/6.5 magnums that Winchester and Remington introduced in 1959 and 1966.

Here are the 6.5 bullets I currently have for the photo:

100gr Nosler BT
                            107gr Sierra Match King
                            120gr Nosler BT
                            120gr SMK
                            123gr Prvi SP
                            123gr AMAX
                            123gr Lapua Scenar
                            129gr Hornady SST
                            130gr Berger VLD

I'll see what I can get from bwaites and LR1955 at BoomerShoot when we meet up for a weekend of long-range explosive fun.
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2012, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• rickOshay
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2012

Now we just need to decide on sheetmaster(s). Because I'm a new, I don't think I should be one. I do think the group should have two - main and a back up - with control of the master sheet.

If the group wants to use my dropbox site, then I want be the one posting. I would be happy to make the PDF's and post whatever the sheetmaster has ready.

Comment

I'd be willing to play sheetmaster with rick0shay posting from his dropbox. How do we make this link to the list easy to find on the forum? The way it sits now you'd have to go through 5 pages of this thread to find the link. Is there a way to have the link at the front of the sticky?
                                Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2012, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X