• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Helo hog hunting on the Texas costal plains

The vids are a bit long because my video editor sucks but here they are

You can see me clearing jams from the ammo issue I discussed in another thread. I missed a few opportunities because of it but I still had a blast. I can't wait to do it again.

Total kills for our group for the weekend was between 250-300 hogs and about 1/2 dozen coyotes. The outfitter says they will lay off this area for about 3 months and they population will be right back up where it was.
    Last edited by txgunner00; 03-03-2012, 03:50 PM.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

my BIL's cam

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

photo(6).jpg

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

You could tell a definite difference between the effect the 6.5 G had on the hogs vs. a .223. There were a few my BIL stitched from one end to the other and didn't put them down until he got a nervous system hit. I've killed plenty of hogs and deer with a .223 but they were well aimed shots and good hits. When you have an animal running for it's life and amped up on adrenalin it takes a bit more to shut them down quickly.
        Last edited by txgunner00; 03-03-2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

That is fricken awesome daddeeeeeeeeeey!

Did you have the illumination on with the GRSC? Under those lighting conditions, I imagine it worked out for you.

What load were you using?

Did you have a dump bag for empty mags?

This is too cool.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2012, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Kikn
            Warrior
            • Nov 2011

that is bad @$$.

Who did you go through? I haven't seen any helo hunts with the 3 gunner seat chopper.

Also what was the cost of the whole event?

How much ammo did you use?

How much time did you get to hunt up in the air?
            Last edited by Kikn; 03-03-2012, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              That is fricken awesome daddeeeeeeeeeey!

Did you have the illumination on with the GRSC? Under those lighting conditions, I imagine it worked out for you.

What load were you using?

Did you have a dump bag for empty mags?

This is too cool.
              I had the scope set at 1x with the illumination on. It worked great for target acquisition and engagement as it has for many jeep & foot hunts prior to this. The only down side is looking through a tube in a helicopter chasing live targets tends to stir the stomach up a bit.

I used a variety of loads ranging from 100 to 140 grain projos. I cleaned out my component drawer of all the random 6.5 bullets I had.

My range bag was between my feet for empty mags.

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
                that is bad @$$.

Who did you go through? I haven't seen any helo hunts with the 3 gunner seat chopper.

Also what was the cost of the whole event?

How much ammo did you use?

How much time did you get to hunt up in the air?
                The company that owns the helos is called Helitractors. They primarily do crop spraying but have started booking hogs hunts since the law changed last year to allow it. You pay by the hour and I believe the standard rate is $500-$550 per hour per person. We had a large group so we paid $400/h. PM me if you want the phone number to the guy that schedules the hunts. They have access to 76,000+ acres from Houston to Galveston to Matadorda.

My BIL and I went up for an hour but didn't see anything for the first 25 minutes. We saw 3, shot them, and flew for 10 minutes minutes before moving to another site. The rest we shot in the last 15 minutes or so and it was pretty intense. We counted 20-25 between the two of us. I probably shot 50-60 rounds and my BIL shot about 120.

Comment

• usmc1371
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2011

txgunner what caliber is your grsc sited in for?

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I zeroed it at 100 yds on that rifle before trip. It usually lives on my .223 SBR though.

Comment

• usmc1371
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2011

got the same scope.i am putting it on my fal.

Comment

Verrryy interesting!!!

Couldn't get a feel for how far out the hogs were. I'm guessing most were under 100 yards, but the camera made it look a lot longer.

Comment

That is just way to cool, best entertainment I've seen in a long time. I think a left handed shooter behind the pilot would be ideal. I volunteer!!! Thanks for posting that, I'm still smiling.

Comment

It's taken me a little thought to warm up to the idea of hunting from an aircraft. But.... WAY COOL!!!!

Comment

At least a few of us have done similar stuff in different venues and vehicles over the years. It is truly a lot of fun but we've got to remember that the hogs here are vermin actively destroying a lot of vegetation on ranchland and, possibly, public land.

Comment

Working...
                              X