Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new Barnes 6.5mm 127gr LRX bullet

Schwag173
    Quote Originally Posted by vendetta333 View Post
    just my 2 cents: ... a 120gr sierra gameking in their hollow point version (with the tough jacket) would be perfect for everything inside 300-325 yards. except elk i'd say, for that i'd go with an xbullet or partition. but most wont hunt elk with their grendels.
    I'd be happy with just a regular (BTSP) Gameking. Better yet, stretch it out to about 125grains to up the BC just a bit. Quick, somebody get some incriminating photos of the guys at Sierra!

Chieftain
    The new Barnes 6.5mm 127gr LRX bullet is currently in stock at MidwayUSA:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/392...ProductDescrip
    Drifter

LRRPF52
    It WAS in stock.

Chieftain
    Guess they didn't last long at Midway.

The Barnes store also lists the bullet, though no indication whether it's in stock or not.

http://barnesbullets.myshopify.com/p...-127-gr-lrx-bt

Haven't checked other potential sources.
    Drifter

Ego Eram Socius
    123gr A-Max.

Ego

fanofflyn
    Sorry LRRPF52, I can send you some when mine come in Monday if you want to check them out. I think they will take up too much case capacity for the Grendel, although I may try them to see. I'll be loading my .260 rem ackly improved and my 6.5 Creedmoor with them. I didn't get many though.

LRRPF52
    I talked with the guys from Barnes at SHOT, so I think I'll be able to work something out with them. They did in fact make the 127gr LRX specifically for cartridges like the .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, .264 Win Mag, etc. I wonder when they'll publish a set of BC values for these.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 04-15-2012 at 04:38 AM.

hm2 clark
    Graf &Son lists it as in stock

fanofflyn
    .468 for the BC. I would have thought it'd be just a bit higher, but that's not bad.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...ew-barnes-lrx/

Chieftain
    Barnes says 1600 fps impact velocity needed for reliable expansion.

As an example, with a MV of ~2350 fps, expansion should occur out to ~450 yards if .468 BC is correct.
    Drifter

JASmith
    Has anybody measured the length of the 127 gr LRX?

fanofflyn
    Here's a comparative pic I took

LRRPF52
    If Barnes wanted to make a Grendel-specific projectile, the MRX would be the design I would push, since you get more weight into a shorter space with a solid/bi-metal projectile, but they are discontinuing the MRX this year, and have no stock of it. I don't think they made a .264" MRX.

fanofflyn
    No they didn't make one, and I was hoping that they would. It would be perfect.

Gamecock84
    Will these LRX 127gr load effectively in a Grendel mag and chamber without problems in the AR platform? Someone mentioned the length as a problem??

Ryan

LRRPF52
    Takes up a lot of case capacity. Maybe rickoshay can measure one for length and report back.

These long bullets for -a small capacity brass unit can shoot very nicely-yet the speed needed for reliable expansion is not there on , the clean taking of game.
    L-52 and I , have spoke about the MRx idea and the GMX,-using a lighter overall pill. Think 100-115 wt. class. ( check my albums on GMX data & pics), I sent the idea off to Barnes also. I use a 94 grn.-97 grn GMX to take MN. whitetail.
    I am slowly assembling a small presentation package to send to Hornady , for a review-upon this- & the GMX-& the Interbond-all at lighter wts. The Grendel needs a bit of help-in the speed, and bullet wt'.s .,, to bring it up to the performance, by speed alone of -say the .243, .257 Roberts, and a few others. I love this round, it's perfect for med. game hunts.

I can only do so much on my own-some help would be great. I've tested a many in this bullet group-the Hornady bullets outperform most of the rest. No-I do not work for them, Just love their products.
    As far as lead free pills, Barnes is the next choice-and they are fine.
    Last edited by sneaky one; 05-23-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Gamecock84
    I can't understand your saying that at this weight, especially 127gr, it's not fast enough to open up enough to kill medium sized to large game. They are several documented cases of elk, mule deer, even a moose dropped with this round. I simply want to know will it feed into and out of a Grendel magazine. I know the expansion is there.
    Last edited by Gamecock84; 05-23-2013 at 02:59 AM.

Chieftain
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamecock84 View Post
    ...127gr...I simply want to know will it feed into and out of a Grendel magazine.
    Yes
    Drifter

Gamecock84
    Thanks Drifter!