new Barnes 6.5mm 127gr LRX bullet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody measured the length of the 127 gr LRX?

Comment

Here's a comparative pic I took

Comment

If Barnes wanted to make a Grendel-specific projectile, the MRX would be the design I would push, since you get more weight into a shorter space with a solid/bi-metal projectile, but they are discontinuing the MRX this year, and have no stock of it. I don't think they made a .264" MRX.

Comment

No they didn't make one, and I was hoping that they would. It would be perfect.

Comment

• Gamecock84

Will these LRX 127gr load effectively in a Grendel mag and chamber without problems in the AR platform? Someone mentioned the length as a problem??

Ryan

Comment

Takes up a lot of case capacity. Maybe rickoshay can measure one for length and report back.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

These long bullets for -a small capacity brass unit can shoot very nicely-yet the speed needed for reliable expansion is not there on , the clean taking of game.
                L-52 and I , have spoke about the MRx idea and the GMX,-using a lighter overall pill. Think 100-115 wt. class. ( check my albums on GMX data & pics), I sent the idea off to Barnes also. I use a 94 grn.-97 grn GMX to take MN. whitetail.
                I am slowly assembling a small presentation package to send to Hornady , for a review-upon this- & the GMX-& the Interbond-all at lighter wts. The Grendel needs a bit of help-in the speed, and bullet wt'.s .,, to bring it up to the performance, by speed alone of -say the .243, .257 Roberts, and a few others. I love this round, it's perfect for med. game hunts.

I can only do so much on my own-some help would be great. I've tested a many in this bullet group-the Hornady bullets outperform most of the rest. No-I do not work for them, Just love their products.
                As far as lead free pills, Barnes is the next choice-and they are fine.
                Last edited by sneaky one; 05-23-2013, 12:32 AM.

Comment

• Gamecock84

I can't understand your saying that at this weight, especially 127gr, it's not fast enough to open up enough to kill medium sized to large game. They are several documented cases of elk, mule deer, even a moose dropped with this round. I simply want to know will it feed into and out of a Grendel magazine. I know the expansion is there.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2013, 02:59 AM.

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Gamecock84 View Post
                    ...127gr...I simply want to know will it feed into and out of a Grendel magazine.
                    Yes
                    Drifter

Comment

• Gamecock84

Thanks Drifter!

Comment

• rickOshay
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        Takes up a lot of case capacity. Maybe rickoshay can measure one for length and report back.
                        I did measure them and posted the length with most of the other projos on the list at:

Comment

Sorry-I should have known that. So it looks like it's as long as a 130gr Berger VLD, which is a long bullet.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Game C 84, did those big game kills come from a Grendel round loaded w/ the 127 gr.? Doubtful., Proof?

Comment

• Gamecock84

It's Gamecock84.

Try using google.

Here is one to start:

Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

Mark Larues elk is one of the most famous kills. The 127gr LRX is such a new round I haven't heard of it being used but the 120gr TTSX Barnes has taken many a game animal. The 7gr difference even in a shorter barrel would not equate to inefficient expansion for a good kill. Hell that first kill on the link was from only 50yds with a nosler 123gr. I think it did the job.

Enjoy.
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2013, 12:25 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Hmmmmm, good call.
                                Relax. I was only after some data. Only have a bullet or 2 here 120TTSX that failed to expand properly-mailed to me.=Too heavy for the mono units.. been there done that.
                                Thanks, enjoy Memorial Day wknd.
                                Remember the fallen soldiers. I like to thank the soldiers that may still be serving-or are in retirement-or still helping out across the world.
                                LRRPF52 comes to mind first & foremost. Stanc is one more=plus many others on here- stay safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X