Debating on new scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debating on new scope

Trying to determine what scopei am gunna put on my new 6.5. Thinking about the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x 56mm Rifle Scope, HVM.5, Black. anyone have this or have experience with it? Also, there are a few versions of this scope. Is this one the best for the grendel? Looking to spend around $2000 so if there is another option anyone recommends, please let me know. Thanks for all the help!!

Sorry if this thread is redundant, but couldnt find one that addressed that reticle specifically.
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Nightforce makes good scopes, and which model and reticle is best is somewhat personal preference. For hunting and informal target shooting, my favorite in their lineup is the F1 with MLR2.0 reticle and 0.1-mil clicks.

Drifter

Comment

To me, the 5.5-22x is a lot of scope for a Grendel. What are your intended uses for the Grendel? That will drive everything.

Comment

Both target shooting and hunting. Looking to do some deer hunting upstate NY and would like to do some long range varmant shooting (long range for me in NY is 400-500 yards) I have a Nightforce 3.5-15 in TMR on my 300 Weatherby and love it. Wanna keep it versital, but can't afford the US Optics, B&L PMII scopes right now.

Comment

S&B PMII i meant

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

I run the NXS 5.5-22x56 on my 28" Grendel, where it looks right at home.

BUT....there is no way I'll lug that sucker around hunting!

Nightforce lacks a scope in the 3-12 or 4-16 range with a 40-44mm objective that I think is optimal for hunting.

The 2.5-10x32 is close, but I like a little more objective brightness for evening hunting.

The Viper PST is a good option:

or maybe this one?

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by mikenyE9 View Post
              Trying to determine what scopei am gunna put on my new 6.5. Thinking about the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x 56mm Rifle Scope, HVM.5, Black. anyone have this or have experience with it? Also, there are a few versions of this scope. Is this one the best for the grendel? Looking to spend around $2000 so if there is another option anyone recommends, please let me know. Thanks for all the help!!

Sorry if this thread is redundant, but couldnt find one that addressed that reticle specifically.
              I'm not familiar with that particular reticle, is it one of their new options? I don't see it on their site.

Comment

I have the 2.5-10x44 Mil/Mil Viper PST, and I really like it. I was just shooting with it out to 1000yds on my .260 Rem, but it is destined to end-up on my Grendel. The .260 Rem is getting a 4-16x or 5-15x. i just found an amazing deal from Midway, where they have partnered with Vortex to make a Midway exclusive Viper HS Tactical 5-15x44 Side Focus, with Zero-Stop, .1 Mil target knobs from the PST, but with no illumination, for under $500. It also has a Mil Dot wire reticle, instead of etched glass.

For hunting and target, the Viper PST 2.5-10x44 and NightForce 2.5-10x32 would be great scopes for an 18-20" Grendel.

Comment

I'm with bwaites. A 2# scope would be a pig to pack around in the woods. Now deer hunting from a blind/stand or sniping chucks the 5.5 x 22 would be sweet! I was set on the 3.5-15x50 until I got my hands on one. I ended up with a NF 2.5-10x32 on my Grendel and don’t regret the choice at all since most of the hunting I do involves covering lots of ground. 400/500 yards isn’t all that far. I shoot at 3" Shoot & See targets at 500 and while I sure can’t see the bullet holes I can hold on the target just fine. That said more magnification would be nice at times.

Comment

Hear a lot of you guys recommending the Vortex PST Scope. The price is nice, but is the clarity and construction really up to par. I have grown accostom to Nightforce quality. Was considering a US Optics 3.8-17 TPAL but a little pricey!! I'M Torn!!! guna have to really think about what direction i wanna go with this. Really appreciate the options and info!!

Comment

Prarrie dogs are the size of a soda pop can. I like Horus vision 4 X 16 for about $750. Pick the reticle you like for the use of the Grendel.

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by mikenyE9 View Post
                        Hear a lot of you guys recommending the Vortex PST Scope. The price is nice, but is the clarity and construction really up to par. I have grown accostom to Nightforce quality. Was considering a US Optics 3.8-17 TPAL but a little pricey!! I'M Torn!!! guna have to really think about what direction i wanna go with this. Really appreciate the options and info!!
                        LRRPF52 looks through and evaluates more scopes than just about anyone I know, and he is willing to recommend the Vortex scopes. I've compared them to my Nightforces, and in normal daylight I can't really see much difference, if any. I haven't tried them at dusk/dawn, so I don't know how they are in low light, but I suspect that the glass will hold up pretty well in comparison, especially at the price!

Comment

I'm also with bwaites on scope choice. I would also add that there are a lot of very durable, capable scopes out there that won't empty your bank account. My $325 Leupold 1.5x5 VX-III has lived on my patrol-car-mounted 5.56 for the past 6 years without shifting zero. If you hunt the woods you might consider that low-power is where you need to be; nobody every swung on a whitetail with a 20x scope. Or if they did they never saw that deer again. I'm going to put a Leupold 2x8 compact atop my Grendel.

Comment

After sleeping on it last night and taking in all of your suggestions, decided to give the Vortex PST a try. couldnt resist the price. Waiting on Precision Firearms to finish my upper and then gunna hit the range. I'll let you guys know what i think of it, but am more then sure i will be satisfied. Now if my upper would just get finished i would be a happy man!!! Thanks again!!

Comment

One of the most important things to me is gear tracking, and positive click feel, as well as zero-stop. Of course we want good glass quality, and tube construction. Vortex has all of these, with a lifetime, fully-transferable, no questions asked warranty.

They also have matching turrets & reticles, in MOA or MIL per your preference, as well as the choice between FFP and SFP, and side focus on the PST models.

Comment

Working...
                              X