Clear All
  • jwilson1985

The Grendel and its variations

• txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Is this only for 6.5 variants?
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

6.5 SAOD is another variant. Supposedly a .295" neck similar to the .264 LBC but with more taper, and a double angle throat with less free bore.

I am a newbie to thes forum and I have a question and this forum seems the most likely place to get an answer. I just bought a SAOD upper. Does anyone know what chamber it has, Grendel, LBC, SAOD. I bought it as a Grendel but now I'm not so sure. SAOD's website only lists LBC & SAOD. I gather the only differences are in
      Last edited by Drifter; 03-15-2012, 05:48 AM.
      Drifter

Comment

I ordered my barrel from Lothar-Walther right after the Grendel went 'SAAMI.' Woody told me they were "6.5 CSS" but gave me the option of either .295 or .300 for the neck diameter. Since I opted for the .300 neck I think I'm Grendel in everything but the name.

Comment

Is "6.5 Sporter" a generic name for one of the above, or its' own dimensions?

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

6.5 Gren Match is listed on Pac-Nor's wildcat page. Don't know any details about it.

Drifter

Comment

Just from this thread that's 7 Grendel variants, no wonder the confusion. All these since the introduction of the Grendel 10 years ago. Hopefully, now with the SAAMI standardization, the makers of these variants will move the the Grendel specs.

These variants should fade away and we should encourage barrel makers to use the SAAMI specs. It's like buying American, the Hordes and is circle of influence should buy Grendel.

Comment

• jwilson1985

yes its confusing, and i agree they should just make the grendel. i dont understand why they made all of these outside the fact they all wanted a ride on the new money train but didnt want to pay the dues.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
                  yes its confusing, and i agree they should just make the grendel. i dont understand why they made all of these outside the fact they all wanted a ride on the new money train but didnt want to pay the dues.
                  Some probably had legitimate reasons, but this is most likely the truth for most.
                  Last edited by txgunner00; 03-16-2012, 02:10 AM.
                  NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Doesn't the LBC have a 1.5 degree throat angle, not a 1 degree?

Also there is the 6.5 Sporter which I have never seen specs for, but I do know that it uses a 7.62x39 bolt.

Comment

Don't blame the manufacuturers, Grendel had a pretty long growth pattern. You have to remember, the first few guns had a straight throat. Thats what the original was when it was the .26 Grendel.

It was a long growth pattern and the manufacturers were correct at the time of production. The double angle throat was not until Gen 2 1/2 or 3. Then it was plus or minus for one reason or another.

Why do you think the original Hornady ammo did not fit the production rifles at the time. It was all growth and rush to get things on the market.

Now with SAAMI. Its all one platform. And it shoots pretty dang good.

Comment

• leopard6.5

John: I hate to disagree but the first batch of Hornady 6.5 Grendel ammo shot just fine in my AA rifle and the only complaints I heard at the time was from people who had chambers that weren't the 6.5 Grendel chamber but one of the varients.

My original AA Grendel rifle went back to 2006-2007 and and shot great as does my new ones.

Hopefully with the SAAMI specs. being approved more of the manufacturers that make the varients will go back to the SAAMI spec. chamber and everything will be more consistant.

By the way welcome to the forum.

Lee

Comment

The 6.5 BPC (Brindell Palisimo Cartridge) was optimised for the Grendel case in a bolt action, not a semi-auto.

I understand that the shoulder angle is a tiny bit different, and the throat is a little different.

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Welcome John! Interesting first post.

Care to introduce yourself?
                            http://www.65grendel.com/forum/forum...Member-Welcome
                            Last edited by Variable; 03-18-2012, 09:00 AM. Reason: Add link
                            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

The "MAIN" legitimate reason is ........ MONEY. They can call thier version the "Improved Custom Model" and charge more for it. Where it works better or not. The whole thing p@#$$ me off because you end up with all this other crap floating around in the market. And, everybody just ends up calling them a Grendel. That's why I tell people to buy a Grendel that actaully has the name stamped on the barrel. Chances are those are made to the Grendel chamber or they would be stamped with some other nonesense.

Comment

Working...
                              X