+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Life?

wojo14

Barrel Life?

I have a question on barrel life for the Grendel.
    How long will a barrel last for a Grendel?
    Will the round eat it up?
    See I shoot alot, not competativly (not yet al least) and my 223 barrels last forever!
    I love everything I read about with the Grendel, just want to make sure it is not high maintance?!

A Grendel barrel will last a ling time. Possibly longer than your 5.56 tube. I'm sure some of the other guys will correct me if I'm wrong on that last, and they can give you more info as well.

Probably depends somewhat on the quality of the barrel, but ~5k+ seems like a reasonable expectation for the top-quality barrels to maintain respectable accuracy, especially if used primarily for deliberate shooting without heating things up with mag dumps.

Generally speaking, I don't think the 6.5 bore at Grendel velocities is terribly hard on barrels. Shrink the bore and increase the speed, such as the case with some of the 6mm Grendel-based wildcats, and life expectancy will likely decline.
    Drifter

ss355
    If you go by the chart here http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...ed-by-formula/, theoretically the Grendel should offer longer barrel life than the 5.56. Additionally, the Grendel runs at a lower pressure than the 5.56.

wojo14
    So no rapid heavy firing?
    Not that I do that. That's for my MP15-22!
    So look for a good barrel?
    Any suggestions on an upper?
    AArms? Do they math up well with other
    Companies lowers. I was thinking of Rick river or a
    Bushmaster lower??

OLd_Sarge
    Thanks for the link that is a good one.

wojo14, I like rock river lowers a lot, I am looking at a J&T upper but I have never used one, the price is right however, http://jtdistributing.net/store/page148.html

OLd_Sarge

ss355
    Quote Originally Posted by OLd_Sarge View Post
    Thanks for the link that is a good one.

wojo14, I like rock river lowers a lot, I am looking at a J&T upper but I have never used one, the price is right however, http://jtdistributing.net/store/page148.html

OLd_Sarge
    Welcome, OS. You wouldn't happen to be the same Old Sarge on the FAL Files, would ya?

wojo14
    Jt uppers do not give much of a spec.
    Are they 6.5grendel bolts?

jwilson1985
    whichever brand you decide spend the extra and make sure the barrel is nitrided it will extend the life even longer,stay away from any chrome lined barrels

Warrior
    I just got my j&t kit fit and finish is good. They do use a 6.5 bolt not the 7.62 bolt.
    Last edited by CPT.CRAZY; 03-17-2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: wrong word ( auto correct)

+ Reply to Thread