Barrel Life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel Life?

I have a question on barrel life for the Grendel.
    How long will a barrel last for a Grendel?
    Will the round eat it up?
    See I shoot alot, not competativly (not yet al least) and my 223 barrels last forever!
    I love everything I read about with the Grendel, just want to make sure it is not high maintance?!
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

A Grendel barrel will last a ling time. Possibly longer than your 5.56 tube. I'm sure some of the other guys will correct me if I'm wrong on that last, and they can give you more info as well.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Probably depends somewhat on the quality of the barrel, but ~5k+ seems like a reasonable expectation for the top-quality barrels to maintain respectable accuracy, especially if used primarily for deliberate shooting without heating things up with mag dumps.

Generally speaking, I don't think the 6.5 bore at Grendel velocities is terribly hard on barrels. Shrink the bore and increase the speed, such as the case with some of the 6mm Grendel-based wildcats, and life expectancy will likely decline.
      Drifter

Comment

If you go by the chart here http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...ed-by-formula/, theoretically the Grendel should offer longer barrel life than the 5.56. Additionally, the Grendel runs at a lower pressure than the 5.56.

Comment

So no rapid heavy firing?
          Not that I do that. That's for my MP15-22!
          So look for a good barrel?
          Any suggestions on an upper?
          AArms? Do they math up well with other
          Companies lowers. I was thinking of Rick river or a
          Bushmaster lower??

Comment

Thanks for the link that is a good one.

wojo14, I like rock river lowers a lot, I am looking at a J&T upper but I have never used one, the price is right however, http://jtdistributing.net/store/page148.html

OLd_Sarge

Comment

Originally posted by OLd_Sarge View Post
              Thanks for the link that is a good one.

wojo14, I like rock river lowers a lot, I am looking at a J&T upper but I have never used one, the price is right however, http://jtdistributing.net/store/page148.html

OLd_Sarge
              Welcome, OS. You wouldn't happen to be the same Old Sarge on the FAL Files, would ya?

Comment

Jt uppers do not give much of a spec.
                Are they 6.5grendel bolts?

Comment

• jwilson1985

whichever brand you decide spend the extra and make sure the barrel is nitrided it will extend the life even longer,stay away from any chrome lined barrels

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2012

I just got my j&t kit fit and finish is good. They do use a 6.5 bolt not the 7.62 bolt.
                    Last edited by CPT.CRAZY; 03-17-2012, 01:13 AM. Reason: wrong word ( auto correct)
                    sigpic

Comment

Is this Loki any good? I see the bolt is compatable?

Comment

• jwilson1985

Originally posted by wojo14 View Post
                        Is this Loki any good? I see the bolt is compatable?
                        JP is really the only one considered a competitor ,and loki rifles come with more options for less money.
                        there are many magazine articles out about us for review and more to come this year. Testing for some military contracts going on ,and a few police department that have switched to Loki rifles. There are many champion shooters in 3gun that run Loki rifles as well (they are not paid to do so).

Comment

Thanks,
                          nope I am not the same guy, I assume I am not the only old sarge out there

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
                            JP is really the only one considered a competitor ,and loki rifles come with more options for less money.
                            there are many magazine articles out about us for review and more to come this year. Testing for some military contracts going on ,and a few police department that have switched to Loki rifles. There are many champion shooters in 3gun that run Loki rifles as well (they are not paid to do so).
                            I'd have to disagree with that assessment.

AA's rifles are considered top of the line as well. There are also very high quality rifles manufactured in Grendel from Templar and a few others.

I have seen JP's rifles, I've seen Templar rifles, and I've seen multiple AA rifles that would meet anyones quality standards. Although I've heard good things about Loki, I haven't seen or shot a rifle, so I can't really comment on them.

However, to simply state that JP is the only thing that compares is simply wrong. AA's cut barreled rifles are simply top of the line as well.

Comment

What about Precision Forearms 6.5g uppers?

Comment

Working...
                              X