New to Grendel Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Grendel Hunting

Hi to everyone. Brand new to the Grendel, in fact, haven't gotten my AA upper yet, but like to prepare. For hunting Texas or Louisiana Whitetail, what would you more experienced guys prefer, 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip or Barnes 115 HPBT being sold at AA in a limited run? I have a feeling either would be great, also considering the Barnes 100 TTSX. Gotta get ready for the fall! I'm really excited about this caliber after reading some of your posts! Thanks for the input!
    Phil
  • deer shooter

So you are waiting for your Grendel . You will NOT be unhappy. I too have an AA upper. Just got it a couple weeks ago. I now have taken 15 shots at deer and plastered 14 of them. My bullet has been and will be Hornady 123gr. A-MAX. My handload: IMR8208XB 38.5gr. Fed205match primer..Lapua brass. Please note you have to check your rifle with the load you use but that works great for my setup. Oh sorry! Welcome to Gren crowd !!

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by deer shooter View Post
      ...Hornady 123gr. A-MAX. My handload: IMR8208XB 38.5gr. Fed205match primer..Lapua brass.
      Surely a typo on the charge weight. That much powder wouldn't fit in the case anyway, but would hate for someone to try.

phillaf- Welcome. Hope you enjoy the new upper when it arrives. Also, dig around on the forum for previous discussion regarding hunting bullets.
      Drifter

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by phillaf View Post
        Hi to everyone. Brand new to the Grendel, in fact, haven't gotten my AA upper yet, but like to prepare. For hunting Texas or Louisiana Whitetail, what would you more experienced guys prefer, 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip or Barnes 115 HPBT being sold at AA in a limited run? I have a feeling either would be great, also considering the Barnes 100 TTSX. Gotta get ready for the fall! I'm really excited about this caliber after reading some of your posts! Thanks for the input!
        Phil
        That 115 is actually a Berger, not Barnes I don't think.

Welcome to the board.

Comment

• Kikn
          Warrior
          • Nov 2011

I have only taken one deer with my Grendel so far. estimated distance about 125YD. used 120Gn. Barnes TSX (Not tipped) with 27.3Gr. TAC, the deer fell about 3 feet strait to the ground.

I chose Barnes TSX due to it being a solid copper bullet. I don't like having to pick little fragments out of the meat. Call me lazy if you will....

Also note varied results in reloading the Barnes bullets and accuracy. You will need to test and shoot within the capabilities of your equipment using that round as it is not easily made to be the most accurate of the rounds with the Grendel. If I'm not mistaken I believe most people are getting 1-2MOA out of that round.
          Last edited by Kikn; 03-31-2012, 09:24 PM.

Comment

You cant go wrong with the Barnes in 100 or 120 gr. But you dont "need" it. Most any hunting bullet that shoots well in your rifle in the 120-130gr range is all you need

Comment

• deer shooter

That's what happens when you have three grandsons wanting to go three different ways. One to football, one to gun range and one to shoot his bow.That load was supposed to say 28.5 grs. Drifter, good eye and thanks for the attention.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

deer shooter, yes we all saw the oooooops, no big deal.. what kind of accuracy-speed you getting with that setup ? Focus on the shooter grandkid ! Enjoy time spent on the forum here,-welcome. You almost mimic sir Rodney Dangerfield..
                Last edited by sneaky one; 04-01-2012, 02:19 AM.

Comment

You're right, bwaites, it is a Berger. Went back to check. Great avatar, by the way.

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by phillaf View Post
                    Phil
                    I've had great luck with the 120 Nosler BT in the Grendel. It is a very accurate bullet, and every deer I've popped with it only took one shot and went down just fine.
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

the noslers shoot very well, best Ive found so far in mine. Id rather use Barnes, but hey, whatever works best.

Comment

Hey guys, What size barrel do you guys rec. for hunting 0-600 yards? I have a AA 14.5 (+2 flash hider) and was considering switching it from a tactical set up to hunting. Thanks!

Comment

Wow! All I can say! I just got my AA Entry upper in on Friday, ordered it March 12 or therabouts! Worth the wait! Have to say that Steve at AA was very responsive to my emails and good at letting me know when I could expect the upper! Great work, guys! Mr. Alexander, what a treasure! Mounted a scope (Nikon 3x9) and installed a geissle SSA trigger. What a &%$# awesome trigger! Sweet! Smooth as glass! Now, just have to get to the range to shoot! I am so STOKED!
                          Phil

Comment

sweet, have fun! I was at a range in eastern washington smacking rocks at 450+yds making believers out of everyone there.

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Deezil, you were here and didn't let us know! Bill Alexander was here over the weekend too!

Comment

Working...
                              X