Homemade Steel Target Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lead Chucker

Go by your local fire department and ask if they have any old fire hose. Its stiff and will swing. Easy to replace and cheap if for free. If you can mount it so the steel angles down, most of the splater will go towards the ground and not towards your hanger, it will last longer!

Comment

Thanks a ton for all the tips everyone.

Comment

Maybe you could find an old rubber mudflap off a semi truck. That would probably work well also. Good luck cutting it though!

Comment

my home made steel target

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Very cool, Deezil!

Question: You've probably seen frames for various things made with that white plastic PVC plumbing pipe? Would that work with your gong and chain setup?

John
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

it would, but would not hold up to a bullet hit. But at the last local gun show I seen people selling the same idea, except the uprights were connected unlike my metal one.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Here are the pics of how I attached the chains to my plate...

I forget the diameter, but I just went with the largest size grade 8 bolts that would fit through the holes that were in the plate. So far that plate has only been shot with Grendel and 5.56, nothing bigger. At 600 yards they only make splash marks on 3/8" AR500. If I do manage to cut through a chain or bolt head then maybe I'll try what you guys were talking about.

ETA: After seeing Deezil's target stand I need to make one like that. I've been using two T-stakes with another one across the top to hold them apart under the weight (that plate is heavy!), and it is a really crappy setup. Deezil's idea would work much better IMO.
                Last edited by Variable; 04-09-2012, 12:24 PM.
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

Man, you guys keep my brain, so in gear...
                  I have access to tons of conveyor belt scraps.

Comment

I have many steel targets on my home range. Most are for rimfire and cast bullet centerfire handgun & rifle calibers (CAS type loads). I do have two long range targets that I shoot with centerfire rifle calibers and jacketed ammo.

My two long-range targets are both home-made. The 300 yard target is a 9" square steel plate that a buddy of mine welded two bars to the back of. I suspended it from a portable stand with a piece of re-bar. I wish he had welded the two steel bars to the sides of the square plate, but he put them on the back. The result is that it naturally slopes slightly to the rear and downward but deflects most of the splatter into the ground. I've shot this target many times as can be seen from all the pock marks. It is not high grade steel, but at 300 yards, I'm not worried about "splash-back".

My 400 yard target is a recent addition to the home range. It weighs 27.5 lbs. and is suspended by two short lengths of chain. From the two short pieces of chain, I have used a pair of "S-hooks" on each side. If an errant shot were to clip the short piece of chain, I've got several more to replace them. If the "S-hooks" get hit, I don't see that they'd be damaged much. If they did, I have several spares waiting in reserve. (they're only a few bucks at Wally-World) I don't know what grade of steel this is, but I've hit it with 6.5-284 and 7 Rem. Magnum and only lightly pock marked it. It will last my lifetime if I use common sense and keep it at 300-400 yards.

Comment

• MrSurgicalPrecision

If you happen to know anybody that works in an underground cole mine the hooks they hang stuff from the roof with work excellent. They're tough and cheap (free) and really easy to replace if they take a direct hit. We use them on our 3/8" thick AR400 human silhouette and 2'X2' targets. I've pounded them with .338 Lapua rounds as close as 300 yards and haven't broken one yet. I haven't hit one directly yet though.

Comment

Well, I took a page out of wiuprof's book, specifically his circular target and used some spare S Hooks and hanging hooks I had laying around. I did have to spend another $8 on the heavy duty chain. However, so far, I've only spent $42 on this. Hopefully it holds up much better than the zip ties and thin wire did. Thanks for all the suggestion here.

target 1.jpg

target 2.jpg

Comment

• hobbesgunner

We use 1/2 to 3/4 inch rebar ....(the stuff u put in concrete ...for those who haven't used it before)bend it into a hook and weld to the back of plate...2 for big plates....it's harder than chains...seems to hold up longer to direct hits..

Comment

We have a tactical steel range on private ground all of the targets are hung from chain with a four to six inch bolt. The bolt makes the target hang at an angle deflecting the rounds to the ground as they breakup. Most target suppliers advise this setup to extend the life of the target. I also advise anyone I sell steel targets to rotate the target once and awhile if not they will bow after extended time of shooting. We engage our 1/2" ar500 targets as close as 50 yards with 5.56 with little to no marking on the targets other than loss of paint.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                              Chieftain
                              • Apr 2012

I made this one for my heavier rifles and it has taken full power 404 Jeffery shots with ease. Used wearalloy that is used for digger buckets - dozer blades repair.

Put the angle iron on after a couple of low hits.

Easy to set up and transport to the range.

Von Gruff.
                              http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                              Acts 4:10-12

Comment

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
                                ...Easy to set up and transport to the range.
                                Von Gruff.
                                I was wondering why the beautiful landscape wasn't showing any damage! LOL!!

Comment

Working...
                                X