+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Long Range Shooting School and my Grendel?

Warrior
    I agree, this is my first class and Im getting into it all at this point! Thw 20" will do me good at this point.
    I read on here about optics. I went with a Vortec Viper HS.
    At this point, I want to just change out the hand guard and put a free floating one on to get better accuracy and mount up a bipod.
    I do not want to get into rebuiding the upper just to do so! Just want to pop the original military style off and bolt up a new one.

Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wojo14 View Post
    I agree, this is my first class and Im getting into it all at this point! Thw 20" will do me good at this point.
    I read on here about optics. I went with a Vortec Viper HS.
    At this point, I want to just change out the hand guard and put a free floating one on to get better accuracy and mount up a bipod.
    I do not want to get into rebuiding the upper just to do so! Just want to pop the original military style off and bolt up a new one.
    In that case, just get a Troy Alpha rail and a low-profile gas block and call it a day.
    "There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?" - Yuri Orlov

Warrior
    Like this one at Midway?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/424...rd-ar-15-black
    What do I need to mount the bipod?

or the yankee hill extended i have a midlength of this one and plan on getting the extended rifle for my next one. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/411...e-length-matte

Warrior
    I like the Troy alpha! What I'm visioning.
    Just need to mount up a bipod stud somehow!?

If you only need something in a hurry to use in the class, why not just mount a sling swivel stud on what you have? I have a "box stock" DPMS Sportical with 16" barrel that a buddy of mine (gunsmith) mounted a swivel stud onto my existing underside. It is loc-tited and very solid. I shoot it quite often with a Harris bi-pod and it also is handy for slinging the rifle while coyote hunting.

Warrior
    The Troy Alpha rails are VERY nice (The VTAC Alpha rails are even nicer depending on what you're planning to do). You can just use one of the short rail sections that comes with the rail, and then get a bipod mount something like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/145...aluminum-matte

I would still suggest doing something like what wiuprof posted above due to your short notice, though. Granted, you'd only really be changing the gas block, but there is nothing worse that showing up to a class with an untested gun that won't run for whatever reason. With only 2 weeks to work with you're going to be pressed for time to order parts, get them, install them and then test everything.
    Last edited by Hooz; 04-09-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    "There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?" - Yuri Orlov

Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooz View Post
    and then get a bipod mount something like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/145...aluminum-matte
    I have this same mount on my Grendel. One piece of advise, if you get this go to an automotive store and buy a bottle of blue loctite (do not buy the red). After 20-30 rounds the two screws attaching it backs out and needs tightening. I have a few of these on other AR's and my Grendel is the only one with this problem.

+ Reply to Thread