Long Range Shooting School and my Grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Range Shooting School and my Grendel?

Guys I am taking a long range shooting school in 2 weeks. I am taking the Grendel!
    But, I am concerned if it is ready (and me! my range is only out to 200) we will be shooting out to as far as 1000 yards.
    My rifle is a stock AA hunter 19.5 barrel with an AA target triger.
    I want to get a free float installed before the class!
    Will my rifle do good with this barrel? Or should I wait for a later class and get a 24"
    Also, What is a good free float fore end to slap on to replace the one I have on there?

Depending on what load you're shooting, your gun should get you 1000 yards for paper-punching without too much issue. I'm building another Grendel right now to use in a precision rifle class this summer. Mine is an 18".

As for the free-float tube, you've got a standard barrel nut, so you have quite a few options as to what you can put on there without having to break the barrel loose. Are you sticking with the railed gas block, or are you open to changing that while you're remodeling? Do you want rails, or are you sticking to a smooth tube?

Comment

I just re-read your post and saw the "2 weeks" part. For some reason that didn't click the first time...

If your gun is shooting well now, I'd be reluctant to change anything on this short notice. When (re)building an upper, there are quite a few things that could change your accuracy for the worse, at least initially. Two weeks might not be enough time to get any potential bugs ironed-out before the class.

You might also want to wait because, depending on what your class covers, you might formulate more solid opinions on what you want or need to do to the rifle. The purpose of taking a class it to open your mind to ideas and expose you to scenarios that you might not have thought about before. I've been to classes before where guys ended-up stripping stuff off their guns that they thought they needed and found out (during the class) that they didn't.

I'd say shoot it as-is for the class, THEN decide how you want to change it.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2012, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Hooz,
        I guess the barrel on it is good for the class.
        I guess right now, I just want to put a smooth tube and leave the gas block on it. I just want to take the original off and throw on a new one.?
        I just want to be able to put a bipod on it! Not sand bag. It time to start getting serious and more consistant!!
        I guess I need a rifle length?
        How about the hogue?

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by wojo14 View Post

What is a good free float fore end to slap on to replace the one I have on there?

I guess right now, I just want to put a smooth tube and leave the gas block on it. I just want to take the original off and throw on a new one.?

I just want to be able to put a bipod on it!
          Since your current rifle is the AA Hunter with standard military-type handguards, it would be relatively easy to install a Daniel Defense Omega quad rail. The upper wouldn't have to be dismantled, as only the handguards would need to be removed. Gas block, barrel nut, everything else stays in place. Here's a link to the item (you'll need rifle-length):

If you're dead-set on a round handguard, it's very likely that you'll have to dismantle the upper, as this style of handguard might require a different barrel nut. Even if it did use the same nut, the round handguard probably wouldn't slide over your existing gas block, so that, and any muzzle device, would have to also be removed.

If you have the experience and the right tools, receiver block, vise, etc, select what you want and proceed.

Otherwise, since time is of the essence, I suggest something like the "drop-in" 2-piece DD Omega mentioned above. I think Troy, and perhaps others, offer similar products.

For the drop-in style, a handguard removal tool is perhaps the only additional item you might need:

Last edited by Drifter; 04-08-2012, 05:20 PM.
          Drifter

Comment

Is there another option besides the Danial Dfense. A little more than I wanted to spend.
            Dont get me wrong, its nice, Im just on a budget.
            Do I need the tool to remove the existing handguard?

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Is there another option besides the Danial Dfense. A little more than I wanted to spend.
              Troy has one:

Cheaper Than Dirt! is America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter, and we live up to that title. Expect bulk ammo deals, discount firearms, parts to build your next gun and more.

There are quite possibly some cheaper foreign-made options.

Do I need the tool to remove the existing handguard?
              Not necessarily. Perhaps you might try it to see. If you can't get it off, order the tool.
              Drifter

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Guys I am taking a long range shooting school in 2 weeks. I am taking the Grendel!
                But, I am concerned if it is ready (and me! my range is only out to 200) we will be shooting out to as far as 1000 yards.
                Will my rifle do good with this barrel? Or should I wait for a later class and get a 24"
                Also, What is a good free float fore end to slap on to replace the one I have on there?
                WOJ:

This question is interesting as a Shaw barrel probably won't do well at that distance. It is really kind of a coin toss but it may not matter, either.

What do you want to get from the shooting school?

LR1955

Comment

I just want to get better at shooting, and understand it better. Long range interests me a lot too!

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

I just want to get better at shooting, and understand it better. Long range interests me a lot too!
                    Woj:

A 24" barrel would be better than a 19" barrel for the long distances but given your intent, it won't make any difference for this event. Maybe it will have meaning if you continue to shoot at the longer distances but probably not now.

What will make a difference in this case will be your ammunition and the ability of your optic to elevate enough for 1000 yards. Use the best ammunition you can get and you will probably need a 20 minute base for your optic. In fact, I would assure you that you will need a 20 minute base as a minimum. A very good optic will make a difference as well.

You will probably be shooting prone and not from a bench so ensure you have enough stock length that your eye relief will be comfortable.

LR1955

Comment

I agree, this is my first class and Im getting into it all at this point! Thw 20" will do me good at this point.
                      I read on here about optics. I went with a Vortec Viper HS.
                      At this point, I want to just change out the hand guard and put a free floating one on to get better accuracy and mount up a bipod.
                      I do not want to get into rebuiding the upper just to do so! Just want to pop the original military style off and bolt up a new one.

Comment

I agree, this is my first class and Im getting into it all at this point! Thw 20" will do me good at this point.
                        I read on here about optics. I went with a Vortec Viper HS.
                        At this point, I want to just change out the hand guard and put a free floating one on to get better accuracy and mount up a bipod.
                        I do not want to get into rebuiding the upper just to do so! Just want to pop the original military style off and bolt up a new one.
                        In that case, just get a Troy Alpha rail and a low-profile gas block and call it a day.

Comment

Like this one at Midway?

What do I need to mount the bipod?

Comment

or the yankee hill extended i have a midlength of this one and plan on getting the extended rifle for my next one. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/411...e-length-matte

Comment

I like the Troy alpha! What I'm visioning.
                              Just need to mount up a bipod stud somehow!?

Comment

Working...
                              X