The Grendel smacked them down last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Grendel smacked them down last night

A friend and I got together tonight to try our luck. Well Molly pulled out his hand call and called for 15 seconds or so. This female came walking down the dirt road just a minute later. She got to about 100 yds and sat down. I told Molly that this yote is doable but he wasn't so sure. Well I let the 123gr hornady a-max fly and it hit its mark right behind her shoulder. This was another AR that I built in .264 Grendel. I shot some deer with this rifle during deer season but hadn't taken a yote with it yet. I thought I would give it a try.

Right around the 3am mark we had this coyote come to Molly's rabbit in distress hand call. It took me 4 shots to get this yote to drop. Long story short these critters are tough.

After a little regrouping and a few more stands we had this mangie yote circling around us. It was about 4am. He was about 150 yards and would stop for a few seconds then go, Molly would stop him with the hand call. After 3 or 4 stop and go sessions I finally pulled the trigger. He bounced around for a second or two and down he went. He sure is ugly but he sure was fun to call up then shoot.

Quick Reply
    Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2012, 07:48 PM. Reason: Pictures too big
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Nicely done!

Comment

Sounds like a great hunt! What part of Alabama or Georgia were you in. I have been coyote hunting in southeast GA for the past couple of months with very little luck. Seems like my stand dried up.

Comment

I can't see the pics. It says they've been moved or deleted.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          I can't see the pics. It says they've been moved or deleted.
          Same for me now, but they were there earlier!

Comment

I think the pics needed to be down sized. We will see how these hold up.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I see the pics

Comment

Originally posted by louieprkr View Post
                Sounds like a great hunt! What part of Alabama or Georgia were you in. I have been coyote hunting in southeast GA for the past couple of months with very little luck. Seems like my stand dried up.
                We night hunt and here is our bag of tricks.
                1) Golf Cart...gotta be quiet, need to be moving and covering alot of territory
                2) Good night vision optics. Gen 3 Night Optics D-760 scopes
                3) Good IR light. Streamlight Tac IR light. You can see their eyes from 400 yds out.
                4) Trigger Stick tripod
                5) Cheap basic fox in distress hand call
                6) Hunt 11pm to 5am. These yote let down their guard and are much easier to kill at that time.
                7) Most importantly...Big Large tracks of open land. Farmers fields, Cow pasture, ect.
                8) 2 Hunters back to back panning for no more than 15 min. Then move on to next spot. If they are there they are coming. We try not to get hung up on a spot if they don't show.
                I would say we yeild on average a 50% success ratio per stand.

We were standing in the middle of large open bare fields last night. The moon was shinning a shadow on our silhoette. These yotes came within 70 yards of us. Go figure.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2012, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Awesome pics and didn't even realize there was NV involved. That looks like loads of fun.

Comment

the third one looks like the infamous chubacabra lol.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

looks like fun. My cousins boss has a thermal riflescope and 360 panning thermal scanner ordered to help "control" the coyote and hogs here in south georgia. Cant wait for that!

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Congrats! Good hunting!
                          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I'm jealous.
                            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by kamrr4437 View Post
                              the third one looks like the infamous chubacabra lol.
                              that's what I was thinking, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X