CFE 223 and Power Pro 2000MR - 120g PRVI MPT and 130g Berger VLD velocities!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFE 223 and Power Pro 2000MR - 120g PRVI MPT and 130g Berger VLD velocities!

I got my new Chrony friday; a Gama Master. I spent all day Friday learning how to use it. Here are the results that I was able to "remember" to save.

I forgot to add weather variables for that day of shooting: Temp - 78*f, Elev. 2300 ft., RH 55%, Hmg 24.87, Winds 0, Cloud Cover 0%

Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2012, 08:55 PM.

thanks for posting i am going to try cfe 223 with some 123 amax and 120 sierra hpbt today.

what length barrel are those from?

Comment

2700fps+ with the 130gr VLD? What barrel length I ask as well. That is crazy velocity with the 130gr. I thought 2500fps would be pushing it with the 130gr. How far from the muzzle was the chronograph?

Primers are clearly flat, but I don't see any cratering. Is this from an AR or bolt gun?

I saw a pic of a 20" gun you posted before. I'm not sure how long your bolt lugs will last, but you have a no-BS 1000yd load right there if you can tighten-up the ES. Are you sure those weren't 120gr MPT's?
      Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• BjornF16
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Does the 2.300" OAL fit the magazine?
        LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
        Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• OLd Man
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2012

If those numbers pan out that would be kind of a game changer for the gredel. It could move up to the top of thee class. Are ther any good examples of high pressure on primers and cartriges?

Comment

I have a 24" J&T upper.

The primers did look a little flatter than usual but, these are Winchester large rifle primers and they have VERY soft "Thin" cups and the primers are always flat, regardless of charge weights. I find it interesting that the LAPUA cases produced flatter primer's than the Winchester cases with the same charge wt.

The Chrony was 15 feet from the muzzle, as per the directions that came with the chrony. I have been keeping an eyeball on my bolt, and so far it is showing very little wear. Round count for the barrel is approaching 500rnds

I am very sure those velocities are from the 130g berger VLDs. I haven't loaded CFE223 with any thing else lately. The PowerPro 2000MR looks to be a promising powder as well.

Unfortunately my supply of Berger 130g VLDs and CFE223 are running out, once they are gone; I have 500 130g Norma GTs to work up.

I will continue to work with CFE223, Reloader 15, PowerPro 2000MR, 8208 XBR, and post results as I get them. I have a few other projectiles 100g A-max, 120g SMK to work with also. Once the Winchester large rifle primers are gone, I will be using Tula 7.62 and S&B large rifle primers.

Comment

@ Bjornf16 - No, the 2.300 OAL will not fit in a standard AR mag. I do intend on trying some mag length loads soon; with the remaining VLDs that I have. The 130g Norma GT is VERY close in appearance to the 130g Berger VLD; the Norma is a little bit longer with a more pronounced boat tail.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2012, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• OLd Man
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2012

I can't tell you where, but I read on a different forum that Cfe223 and PowerPro2000MR were the same powder from different sources. Reading it doesn't make it true so don't take my word for it. Any idea what the MR stands for?

Comment

MR stands for Medium Rifle

Comment

• BjornF16
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                    @ Bjornf16 - No, the 2.300 OAL will not fit in a standard AR mag. I do intend on trying some mag length loads soon; with the remaining VLDs that I have.
                    So you are single loading these?
                    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                      So you are single loading these?
                      Yes I have been single loading the VLDs

I can't tell you where, but I read on a different forum that Cfe223 and PowerPro2000MR were the same powder from different sources.

Nope! Not the same! They have different odors too.

Comment

WOW! Those velocities are impressive. I think its time I pickup some 130gr Bergers and some CFE powder...

Comment

• OLd Man
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2012

Is CFE made with unobtainium too. I have been looking around and it is a little hard to come by. Are you planning on testing some 123's and mabe the 127 Barnes also? I can't find anything for the grenel with CFE in the reloading sites.

Comment

i just ran some cfe with 129 hornady sp flat base through my 16" and got 2420fps with 31 grains going to re shoot that because the wind was terrible and i could only get 2 to register. best groups were at 30.4 going to shoot that again and go to 31.8-32.4 and see what happens.
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2012, 02:56 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Great job Bwild ! I tried for the old 3000 /with a / 100 gr. on Sunday-w/3031. Not worth it, only got to 2792, ==( powder is wayy too bulky, for it's wt.-Clean burn tho.), with a Horn. bullet=100SP. Last yr. I hit 2852 w/ x-term. and a 100 Barnes unit--------- Maybe CFE,, or 2000MR will work /w/ a 20" bbl. How do each fill a case,by volume and wt.- fill one each by volume-then weigh each charge ? Thanks for the info!
                              Last edited by sneaky one; 04-24-2012, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X