RCBS 264 LBC dies same as 6.5 Grendel specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zach987
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2011

I have the RCBS catalog open in front of me and it says that the AR series dies use a small base sizer (SB) die, so I wonder if their version of the small base dimension is too small for Grendel brass. FWIW, I use Redding Grendel dies for my 264LBC-AR with no problems.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Zach987 View Post
      I have the RCBS catalog open in front of me and it says that the AR series dies use a small base sizer (SB) die, so I wonder if their version of the small base dimension is too small for Grendel brass. FWIW, I use Redding Grendel dies for my 264LBC-AR with no problems.
      Zach:

We have been loading Grendel ammo on non SB dies since the cartridge came out. I believe there was one incident on the old forum where I recommended a SB sizing die to a guy. No one made them at the time but I thought his problems could be solved with a SB die.

I don't have much confidence in RCBS so it would not surprise me their SB Grendel die did what it did to your brass. They made the die wrong, probably knew it, sold it anyway, and figure it is cheaper to let the consumer do their QC than for them to do it. I haven't bought RCBS gear for years because of this type of thing.

Send the die back. RCBS will send you a new one. Hopefully, it will work. If not, send it back and they will respond with 'your chamber, loads, alignment of sun and moon', etc., were wrong and not them.

LR1955

Comment

The reason I bought the SB die was my Forster die was not sizing the case web down small enough.

I "assumed" that all Standard FL Grendel dies were cut to the same dimensions and purchasing a Redding or Hornady or RCBS Standard sizing die would not solve my problem.

For the first time in my life I thought I was going to need a SB sizing die for a semi-auto as all the standard dies would be the same.

I was wrong!

The problem was with the Forster FL die right from the get-go. Replacing it with a "Standard" RCBS sizing die has solved the problem. IMO the Forster sizing die is also cut wrong.

Anyone want an RCBS 264 LBC Seating die? I still use my Forster Micro BR seater and do not need the RCBS seater.

Comment

• TropicalVibe
          Warrior
          • Mar 2015

Getting ready to reload my PPU once fired brass, I set up my .264 LBC SB RCBS sizing die and pressed out an empty cartridge. I noticed the case looked strange, kinda like a belted 6.5 Grendel. I am bringing this thread up, as I seemed to have the same problem, with the same set of dies, that I got from Midway within the past few months.

I ran four of the cases and got the same result on all. Here is a picture of the case.

Has anyone else had the same issue recently? I plan on sending these back to Midway.
          Attached Files

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Looks like the exact problem above. Doesn't even look like it's safe to use with any Grendel brass at all, more like another case dimension entirely at the base.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• TropicalVibe
              Warrior
              • Mar 2015

Nope, not safe at all. Good thing i only ruined 4 cases, as I was making adjustments. After 4, that was enough!

I am planning on getting the Hornady New Dimension dies and the Microjust. Up until now I have never had issues with RCBS dies, but I have heard good things about these Hornady's.

Comment

• terrywick4
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

I had a set of the 264 small base dies from rcbs and had same issue. Called RCBS and they wanted me to send them dies and rounds. I opted to send them back to midway with the rounds they wrecked and got a full refund + shipping. I now use the hornady new dimension dies. Just make sure to bump the shoulder back far enough.

Comment

• m796rider
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by terrywick4 View Post
                  I had a set of the 264 small base dies from rcbs and had same issue. Called RCBS and they wanted me to send them dies and rounds. I opted to send them back to midway with the rounds they wrecked and got a full refund + shipping. I now use the hornady new dimension dies. Just make sure to bump the shoulder back far enough.
                  Yep, I also use the Hornady dies with good results so far. To ensure the shoulder gets bumped correctly, I measure resized cases with a Wilson case gauge.

Comment

• Rainman
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2015

6.5 ammo and dies are compatible with .264 LBC chambers. Hornady dies work very well when you follow the directions for setting clearance between the sizing die and shell holder. Use a feeler guage. Since I set mine up this way with .003 clearance I have had no issues with handloads chambering or ejecting. Before that it was a crap shoot. Also, during the sizing process check your die frequently to make sure it stays screwed down snug to the press as this can be an issue if thread clearances between the dies and press are sloppy. I suggest ordering a Wilson Case Guage die (around $12) from Wilson, Midway or Sinclair. If your reloads fit they will cycle in a correctly functioning AR in .264 or 6.5 Grendel. I have not shot or reloaded PPU brass. However, the problem discussed above with "belting" the brass has been discussed here and seems to be fairly common and specific to this brass due to its soft composition and some have said it is done after 2 or 3 reloads.

Comment

• koden
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by WHITEBULL View Post
                      So the RCBS .264 LBC-AR SB T/C Die set will work for the Grendel cartridge?
                      I wanted to give a little input on these dies. I have a .264 LBC chamber in my 18" tube. I have 2 sets of Hornady dies and a set of RCBS SB dies.

Both will work for my gun. I usually use the Hornady dies. Once in a while I will size the brass fired from my rifle and they will not drop free from the case gage. They are just a hair oversized at the base. I have a tight match chamber I guess. If they don't drop free out of the case gauge they will sometimes not chamber. I purchased the RCBS SB dies and ran the brass that would not drop free through the sizing die.

20151108_213838.jpg

20151108_213911.jpg

After sizing them with the RCBS SB dies they drop free and chamber perfect. The brass also looks good. No flow at the case head. So after resizing with the Hornady dies I check each one and size them with the RCBS if needed.

One other note, I purchased a bunch of once fired brass from someone and their chamber was much looser than mine. I had to resize with the RCBS SB dies and there was a noticeable band at the case head. It did not look as bad as some of the pics in this thread though. I cut a few of them down to inspect the inside and they were structurally sound. I fired off a few as a test and after firing they look and act like all my other brass. They resize perfect and there is no sign of case head fatigue.

I like the RCBS SB dies and they work perfect for me however I know I have a tight chamber, not a Grendel spec chamber.

Comment

• Joseph5
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2012

Koden,
                        I guess my question is why not just use the small base dies all of the time. I have the 264 LBC SB dies because RCBS is the reloading equipment I was familiar with. I have only reloaded 400 rounds so far but they have worked flawlessly so far. Joseph

Comment

• koden
                          Bloodstained
                          • Sep 2014

Hi Joseph,

Thats actually what I have been debating also. I don't like to work brass any more than necessary but it would sure speed up my reloading process.

Comment

Working...
                          X