Yote gets acquainted with suppressed Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yote gets acquainted with suppressed Grendel

I was able to get away to western Kentucky for a long weekend to coyote hunt.

I was itching to get in the woods and try out my suppressed 6.5 Grendel. Its an 18" Satern barrel w/AA side charge upper that I've used this fall/winter and took my first yote with, but it was threaded 9/16x24 and couldn't use my suppressor. I've sent the barrel to Saturn to have it cut back and thread it to 5/8x24. Now its set up with AAC Scar-H 308 can.

Saturday evening I've called this female on my second stand right at 45 minutes. I have a Minaska caller that I've attached primos decoy on top of it so its visible in a tall grass and minimize the number things to carry. I also bypassed the decoy switch and wired it to the aux port of the caller so I can turn it on/off with the remote.

After about twenty minutes on the stand the caller tipped over rendering the decoy useless and pointing the speaker into the sky.Th e yote female walked on the north side of the field upwind of the downed caller looking for a cat and bird in distress. I've shot her at 85 yards with 123 Amax and she just dropped right there. You can see the entrance and exit wounds. Poor think was infested with ticks.

I got to see a lot of white tail and turkey and had a hawk swoop down on my decoy twice before realizing it wasn't what he was after. I've also spooked a bedded yote on my way out that morning so I've barked to try to stop him, but by the time I've dropped my caller and shouldered my rifle he was in next county.

I was a great weekend for me as I won't be able to go back till September.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

• bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Well done!

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Cool! Can't wait to get my can.
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Nice....very nice. How much noise does the can cut down? Percentage rise? I've been thinking about one but didn't know how much noise they really cut.

Comment

Strong work! Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by Shivesy View Post
            Nice....very nice. How much noise does the can cut down? Percentage rise? I've been thinking about one but didn't know how much noise they really cut.
            Can't sat on the percentage, but I've shot 5 rounds on steel plates I have set up on the farm just to check the zero as I've took the barrel and scope off and reassembled and my ears didn't ring like they would with out. I wouldn't call it hearing safe, but its noticeably quieter. It gets rid of the loud boom, but you hear a sharp supersonic crack. Its great for hunting (where legal), but for long range session I still use hearing protection.
            Now when I shoot suppressed 300 whisper with 208/240 gr subsonic rounds its Hollywood quiet and with the gas turned off sounds like a pellet gun.

Comment

Sounds like you did her a favor. Having spent a lot of time in the woods and getting eaten alive by tics and chiggers, I'm quite familiar with that form of misery.

Comment

Nice, very nice!

Comment

Nicely done and sweet looking stick!

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Well done! And Congrats!

Sound suppression: actually your rig likely is hearing safe at the shooter's ear with supersonic ammo. OSHA spec is 140db for "impulse" sound pressure levels, and I'd wager you are well under it. It all depends on number of "events" (sound pressure), duration of each event, and cumulative time of exposure. It is still wise to wear hearing protection for range time, but if no one else is shooting something non-hearing safe then you should be fine while hunting.

Technically speaking, anything over 85db is potentially damaging depending on your time of exposure (think hours), whereas a gunshot has peak sound pressure levels that are measured in milliseconds.
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Good job!

Too bad the prohibition of suppressors is prevalent in states known to be not friendly to guns. Otherwise they would be very popular for ear-safety reasons.

Comment

What kind of grip is on that "stick"?? Is it a Packmeyer??

flk k

Comment

Sorry, that was "Pachmayr’".. flk

Comment

Yes its a Pachmayr grip

Comment

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                              Good job!

Too bad the prohibition of suppressors is prevalent in states known to be not friendly to guns. Otherwise they would be very popular for ear-safety reasons.
                              Which is precisely the reason they prohibit them, because they don't want guns becoming popular to more people who dislike them now b/c of the noise.

Comment

Working...
                              X