Examination of piston accuracy (6.5 Grendel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 556 with a LW barrel that shoots under 1 moa. I put a Osprey Defense piston on it. I thought I would loose accuracy but it was not the case. I did not even have to work up a new load for it. It is a different piston system then the adams.

Maybe I just got lucky. I have not been willing to put a piston on my grendel although I am still thinking about it.

Comment

• Timmy Toughnutz

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      I understand that first hand experience trumps all.

I often wonder, though, the quality of builds and maintenance in failure rates.

I had to shoot something like 700 rounds over many months, without cleaning, to get my Grendel to have a misfeed.
      Like I said in my first post on this thread, i chose a piston for my rifle because I truly believe in the operational quality of the system vs DI. The majority of the weapons systems I fired over the years have been military issued, some fairly old and not tended to properly. I have also owned several DI chambered for 5.56, and have always had problems with stove piping double feeding etc. I've tried dry lube, Rem oil you name it all to no avail. This is the first rifle I had built to my specifications and for a different caliber, with the micro slick and the piston system including the PWS compensator the felt recoil is approx the same to the 5.56 and the muzzle rise is all but unnoticeable. After years of 2nd, 3rd and lowest cost firearms use, I spent the money for this superior round, and have my first 'high class' AR. at a cost of 1500 for the upper alone it should be hahaha. I have put around 600-700rnds through it and only cleaned the piston tube twice, no lube. outside of brass fouling on the extractor, no other cleaning was needed. I have not had a single misfire/malfunction to mention. So in short I do agree with your assessment bwaites, but i also cant shake my opinion of DI systems. I am also currently considering a hydraulic buffer, my thought being that even though it is a semi auto rifle, it will all but eliminate recoil. But I am hesitant to do so because I am not confident that a factory load will expell enough gas to slide the bolt to the rear properly if the hydraulic buffer is installed. I am really curious to know what the you salty dogs think on this.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

I've been running a hydraulic buffer in my rifle for 2+ years without any problems, BUT....you have to make sure you use the right one.

AA used to sell them, but I haven't looked recently.

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Timmy Toughnutz View Post
          After years of 2nd, 3rd and lowest cost firearms use, I spent the money for this superior round, and have my first 'high class' AR. at a cost of 1500 for the upper alone it should be hahaha.
          So If I understand correctly: you ran very cheap or poorly/not maintained DI uppers and they weren't reliable. Then when you spent $1500 on a piston upper it ran well. Ever consider that a quality DI upper would have also? The same goes for ammo if that wasn't addressed.

FWIW: Without even counting my own experiences-- I witness piles of quality DI guns run very well every time I go to qualify at work. Perhaps they were different from what you were using.
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• TheOTHERmaninblack
            Warrior
            • Apr 2011

Am I understanding that there are issues with the Adams piston system specifically? I've had one sitting in the safe for over a year waiting for this build I'm starting, but I don't want to (figuratively) shoot myself in the foot by installing an inferior system, regardless of how much I paid for it.

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

I missed this thread but just found it and thought it might need reviewing. I have built many DI rifles and 5 Adam Arms and 1 bushmaster gas piston rifles. I have never experienced any accuracy problems with a gas piston rifle. I read on this forum people suggesting gas pistons degrade accuracy but I have never experienced it with any of my builds. I was wondering if anybody else has had any accuracy problems with a gas piston build ? I shoot three gun and use the DI system because a DI system seems to have an edge in less felt recoil.

Comment

Working...
              X