• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChellieWiles

H322 and the Six5 Grendel

IMG_2550.jpg
    Hello all,
    I'm new to the site and new to the world of the Grendel but already feel at home due to the nature of the beast. I'm a 31 year old honorably retired Marine from North Carolina who can't stand being away from the fields and the woods for too long. I found this site while trying to locate and close with some real life reloading data. Even though I own what seems like every reloading manual they make, the information for where to start and with what to use for this kind of cartridge seems to be eerily vacant. Due to this, I took what I know about burn rates, propellant size, cartridge shape and case capacity to discern what I believe to be one of the best loads for this particular firearm and I wish to share what I've found.
    I began building this AR 6 months ago and 2 weeks ago every piece of the puzzle finally came into place. I ordered pieces from around the U.S. to put together a "greater than mil spec" Grendel. From what I had been seeing about the loads others on this site have put together; h335, 8208, X-term, tac and so on, and then by analyzing burn rates vs. peak pressure curve vs. percentage of case capacity filled I made an educated decision for a powder with very good metering capabilities as well as a boost in over-all velocity. H322 became a threshold that has shown some very real and very positive results. Before I came upon this powder for this round, I went through BL-C2, Win 748, and H335 with H335 giving the best velocity results. Win 748 showed some very good accuracy but still wasn't fast enough to give me a 32" holdover at 500 yards as this was my goal with a 100 ttsx. I have put together a few rounds with 120gr. bullets but I do not believe the Grendel was intended to perform the best with 120+ gr. bullets, but this is only my opinion. I am sure that accuracy is better with the heavier bullets pushing the b.c. past the .450 stability barrier, but velocity is very limited with those bullets. Now, I own a 6.5 creedmoor and the 120+ bullets seem to be intended for that cartridge moreover the Grendel, but that is a whole new bag of rats and we won't open that sack here.
    Back to the H322. The powder is extruded and seems to resemble varget that has been cut in half. And I think everyone here can attest that Varget is a very accurate powder due to it's extruded form. This fact alone led me to begin developing a max load and a hunting load based on it's burn rate and extruded form. H322 is a little faster than h335 and outperforms it on almost every test I have performed from distances as little as 50yds. to 750yds. I believe this is due in part to it being extruded and h335 being a ball powder though I shoot nickel groups at a hundred yards with this powder in my 5.56 AR so I am not saying it is an inferior powder at all. Different cartridges like different powders and I just don't believe it to be the best for the Grendel.
    I began my loads at 27 grains of h322 in lapua brass over cci 450 primers. Initial test confirmed what I expected. Dime size groups at a hundred yards with a muzzle velocity right at 2575fps. After inspecting the brass and primers for damage and found not a scratch, I bumped the load up to 28.5gr. and achieved a MV of 2720fps and knew I was getting close to the velocity I needed to hit the holdover I wanted. I began to wonder, at a hundred yards, if I was pulling shots over the target somehow but knew that I wasn't when I put the first 5 shots through the same hole leaving no indication that more than one shot was fired. This made me really excited. Brass/primer inspection revealed a slight flattening of the primers but no other indicators so I put together a few more loads with increases in .25grain increments to discern where the peak pressure/ unburned powder threshold resided. This is what I found.

H322 Muzzle Velocity Group Size @ 200yds.
    under100gr.BarnesTTSX B.C. .359
    29gr.-----------2775fps------2" (primers become noticeably flat)
    29.25gr--------2800fps------1 3/4"
    29.50gr.-------2825fps------1" (tightening up)
    29.75gr.-------2850fps------1/2" (solid-flat primers but no extractor marks for75rounds
    30.00gr.-------2875fps---------5/8" (very flat primers/extractor marks every other round
    30.25gr.-------2886fps---------3/4" (very flat primers/extractor mark every round)

The first thing I noticed once I began to look through the collaborated data is that peak pressure/maximum burn is around 30 grains of H322. According to how the the .25 grain increments work, every .25 gain in powder displayed a 25 fps increase. Once I reached the threshold of the amount of powder able to burn I realized that powder from the 30.25 load went unburned and did not display the expected velocity increase. From that load and extractor mark data I concluded that 29.75gr. seems to be what my firearm likes even though the primers are a little flat. I do not recommend anyone load this up until they have worked up to this load as there are signs of overpressure. I have been reloading for a decade and have had the expertise of 3 generations of military men in my family to lean on for advice concerning pressure signs and grossly over pressurized loads. I have watched my brothers see the signs and still go way beyond to the point of catastrophic cartridge failure where the case actually blows apart in the middle of the case. Luckily, no firearms have ever been destroyed from these "experimental" loads and nobody has ever been hurt, but, one must always remember when loading your own ammunition is that hot metal is harder to remove from your face than it is going in.
    Well, it's been a real treat to finally get on here and talk a little about what I've learned. I'm sure that new loads will be worked up in the future and this seems about the best way to build a guide for reloading the Six5. This really is a wonderful weapon to own.
    respectfully submitted,
    14thMay2012
    Wiles, Scot C
    USMC-RET

IMG_2716.jpg
    left to right
    AR 15 Carbine
    AR 15 6.5 Grendel 18" Carbine
    AR 15 6.5 Grendel 22" Tactical
    AR 10 6.5 Creedmoor
    MK 14 MOD 0

Scot, Welcome to the horde!

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard!
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Howdy! Great first post.
        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Welcome, Scot, great to have ya!

John
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• JPShooter
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2015

I notice that you have a PMag in your 22" Tactical 6.5 Grendel.

Are you able to get the PMags to work with the Grendel or was that just a "photo op" thing.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JPShooter View Post
              I notice that you have a PMag in your 22" Tactical 6.5 Grendel.

Are you able to get the PMags to work with the Grendel or was that just a "photo op" thing.
              You can load up a small handfull in a PMag (I think most folks report 5-7ish) and they'll work. Past that and they'll start to bind up because of geometry issues. Some folks use them in a pinch, and they'll work for low capacity use.
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• JPShooter
                Bloodstained
                • Jul 2015

Thanks, that's great to know. I'm still waiting on my first Grendel upper (be here next week!) and I have been putting a few rounds in a PMag and thinking that it should be able to feed, but of course can't prove it to myself yet.

5 rounds in a 10 rounder would be plenty in a hunting situation for my needs.

Comment

• SG4247
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2013

I too am finding good results with H322. These are from two days ago. Shot about four hours apart.

Very please with consistent sub 1/2 MOA performance from this powder. I stopped the charge weight testing at 26.5 grains with a 120 grain Berger, since I could not find much published data describing where the upper limit is. Primers look a little flattened, but fine otherwise.

I plan on doing more chrony work tomorrow weather permitting.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by SG4247; 08-04-2015, 01:50 PM.
                  NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• 1911man
                    Warrior
                    • May 2015

SG427 What kind of velocities are you seeing out of those loads? What is your barrel length?

Comment

• lamrith
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

That looks good. You going to try any 123grn?
                      Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                      18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                      SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                      16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                      Anderson Pistol lower:
                      16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                      6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• SG4247
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
                        SG427 What kind of velocities are you seeing out of those loads? What is your barrel length?
                        Average is 2350 from a 20" tube with this load. I think H322 will run faster above 26.3, just haven't had time to test for an upper node yet.

Comment

• EOD Ranger
                          Unwashed
                          • Dec 2014

SG4247, that's impressive and good news because I just bought 8lbs of H322 a couple hours ago. It's my powder of choice for my Sako 6mm PPC. I've been shooting my Grendel with IMR 8208 XBR and getting good results, but I like to have 2 go to powders in case one gets hard to get. I've been puzzled because it doesn't look like too many people shoot H322 with the Grendel. The Grendel is based off of the 6mm PPC so I figured that H322 should have some success with the Grendel also. I'm anxious to try it out of my 22" Bartlein barrel.

Comment

• SG4247
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2013

I like H322 for accuracy.

And it's stable too. Should be great from a 22" Bartlein.

Please post your results with H322 Ranger!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

You have my attention.

I load H322 behind the Sierra 85 gr HP Varmint pill with excellent results. 28.5 +/- .2 grains seems to be this 18" BHW's yummy zone, and moves them @ 2660 fps. I also got respectable groups with 30.1 grains, but that was compressed and at or near max. Primers were never distressed, but this tube has yet to show flattening at any charge levels.

First outing with both barrel and H322. 28.5 gr.

Load workup, one month later. 28.4 gr.

I haven't tried H322 with anything heavier, yet, but I would love to find a charge which works with the 123's.

I'll be interested in seeing how your work progresses, EOD Ranger.
                              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                              X