Clear All
  • ChellieWiles

Well above mil spec

IMG_2550.jpg
    AXTS 556 Lower Receiver with 45 degree BAD ASS safety select serial # 00037
    JP Enterprises Left Side Charging Upper Receiver
    JP Enterprises 22" Cryogenically Treated 6.5 Grendel Barrel
    JP Enterprises lo-pro adjustable gas block
    JP Enterprises Tactical Muzzle Compensator(recoil-nonexistent)
    JP Enterprises FMOS w/ Black QPQ Finish
    Magpul UBR Collapsible stock
    Troy Industries Alpha Battle Rail 13"
    LaRue Tactical 1 piece scope mount with quick-detach/return to zero
    Zeiss Conquest 4x-14x w/44mm objective and target knobs
    Harris Bipod-Custom 9"-21"
    Yankee Hill Bipod Mount

3 shot group @ 977yards 7.27 inches
    as McD's use to say "i'm lovin it"
  • ChellieWiles

p.s.
    Geissele DMR two stage trigger
    1:8" twist

Comment

3 shot group @ 977yards 7.27 inches
      Holy plastic dog doo-doo Batman! What bullet/load was that with? Nice! I was reading along and even looked at the picture..."Ok, he's got some high-end JP stuff here, blah blah, token Magpul accessory somewhere, oh Troy Alpha Rail-nice, blah blah, 3 shot group @ 977 yards 7.27 inches? Woah!"

Comment

• ChellieWiles

108 Scenar (NO MOLY in this barrel) over 29.4gr. H322 mv - 2815fps
        1.512" lapua brass
        ogive length 1.894" approx. 2.253"coal
        those scenars are something special
        thanks lrrp

Comment

I would never have guessed the 108gr Scenar. How long have you had your Grendel? How long did it take to work up that load? What method of load development did you use, etc.? Very interesting...

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Bill Alexander has told me several times he would shoot the 107 SMK or 108 Scenar at 1000 as his first choice, then move to the 123's if he couldn't get them to do what he wanted at that range.

Comment

• ChellieWiles

Only about 3 weeks now but i've been reloading for over a decade and choose powders based on type - ball for smaller cartridges or 30-30's but extruded when I'm really seeking duplicates through the chrono. H335 performed really well but the grouping suffered a bit after 575 yards so I changed, did some research on a powder that is similar to varget (my hunting load in my 5.56's), and after seeing that h322 is a "varget-like" extruded but a bit faster than h335 (I wanted a 32" holdover at 500 yards to get the mil dots lined up right with my velocity, that's why I went faster) I began weighing out charges on a rcbs 10 10 gravity scale. I started at about 27gr and worked up to a bit over 30gr in .25gr increments. At about 28.75 slight extractor marks and flattened primers began to show but velocity was still gaining like it should when all the powder is being consumed so I forged onward. At about 29.8 the overly flat primers and minimal increase in velocity told me to stop so the 30grainers + went to the pulling station. I backed off the usual half grain and that was my load. This process has worked very well for me in the past from loading up little bitty 17hmr's all the way up to my largest caliber gun, a 375 ultramag. I have an 18" grendel that likes the same bullets but almost .5grain less in powder than what my 22 incher likes. Take the time to focus on quality reloads instead of quantity and your groups will just get tighter and tighter.

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Nice rifle & nice shooting!
                NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Drifter
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                  Bill Alexander has told me several times he would shoot the 107 SMK or 108 Scenar at 1000 as his first choice, then move to the 123's if he couldn't get them to do what he wanted at that range.
                  I've read very similar words written by Arne.
                  Drifter

Comment

• 65G_Sethum

I'm building my Grendel very slowly, just discovered them earlier this year. Just purchased an 18" barrel a few weeks ago. I will be reloading some ammo for it. I'm 19 and will be learning about reloading as I go. Do you have any advice for a beginner other than reading the reloading manuals?

Comment

• ChellieWiles

The manuals are great for a rundown on specifications, load densities, what primers to use, c.o.a.l. and everything else. perfect for finding a place to start. they have all the specifications for most cartridges and give the reloader a world of information he will use while reloading. the thing about reloading, though, (for me) is to produce cartridges that are held to higher tolerances than box ammo and, on certain occassions, higher velocities. not only do you control the quality of your rounds, you can reload most of the time for less than what box ammo is sold for with better results than the factory ammo. i'm a bare knuckle, sticks and stones type of reloader. i do not trust digital scales, calipers or even powder dispensers. every, and i mean EVERY powder dispenser (electronic and gravity fed) i have ever used is not consistent and is a flaw on a reloaders bench to me. I have had +/- up to .6grains of powder difference in charges thrown with these types of instruments and that can equal over a 60fps spread or +/- 1.5" elevation change at only a hundred yards(downrange this can be much more). this to me is no different that factory ammo and sometimes makes the load worse than factory. I would say to any "new" reloader to invest in a decent gravity scale and go for quality reloads over quantity. it will save you much money and aggravation at the range when you can't figure out why you keep having that one or two shots that don't find the group on the target. even a $30 gravity scale can outperform every single powder dispenser you can find. you are going to learn as you go and that's just the way it is. you will make mistakes but it will only be a mistake if you don't learn from it. for this caliber, reloading manuals aren't going to be much help as none that i know of have a section for the Grendel, hence, the true value of this forum. I have been reloading for 10 years and have still gained a lot of valuable knowledge from this site by others who have been reloading for decades beyond what I have been with the experience and understanding to go along with it. the more you read about it, the more you will begin to see a pattern and you will eventually begin to notice that not all of us do things the same way but get similar results. this is all part of reloading. every gun is as different as the hands that hold them but the principles stand the same. find what works for you, what gives you the best results and grow from there utilizing what you are going to learn and have fun with it. welcome to the wide world of reloading and understand, it is a life long hobby and no matter how long you have been doing it, there is always more to learn.
                      as for manuals, my favorite is Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. Much more information in that manual than any other i've seen.

Comment

my favorite is Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. Much more information in that manual than any other i've seen.
                        +1!

Comment

Originally posted by 65G_Sethum View Post
                          I'm building my Grendel very slowly, just discovered them earlier this year. Just purchased an 18" barrel a few weeks ago. I will be reloading some ammo for it. I'm 19 and will be learning about reloading as I go. Do you have any advice for a beginner other than reading the reloading manuals?
                          Have someone that has a good head on their shoulders and has significant reloading experience show you the ropes. The more educated they are, the better, regarding formal and practical knowledge with applied physics. It's important to understand the relationship between pressure, temperature, volume, and density, while being able to follow logical procedures for using simple mechanical devices. Understanding how to diagnose pressure in a firearm, starting with a chronograph, then looking at brass & primer signs, are some of the most important things you'll deal with when hand-loading.

Comment

Originally posted by ChellieWiles View Post
                            108 Scenar (NO MOLY in this barrel) over 29.4gr. H322 mv - 2815fps
                            1.512" lapua brass
                            ogive length 1.894" approx. 2.253"coal
                            those scenars are something special
                            thanks lrrp
                            H322, the good stuff. I love that powder. I don't know why more people don't use it.

Comment

thats some dang good shooting! does that p mag feed good for you, if so how many rounds? hope mine shoots that good.
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2012, 01:17 AM. Reason: off topic

Comment

Working...
                              X