• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

Bolt rifle for dedicated handloaders

All right guys, I will nail my flag to the mast with my colors showing for all to see.

I am in the begining stages of a projected build of a bolt rifle that may horrify some of the Grendel purists but satisfies my tinkering obsession.
    There will never be a factory Grendel cartridge in my rifle so I decided the a chamber that wasn;t necessarily SAMMI would not be a detractor. The second factor in my thinking is that the Grendel brass is rare and expensive here where the Win 7.62x39 brass is plentiful and relatively affordable. I am no longer in the work force so these things are a consideration.
    After a lot of drawing and bouncing ideas of a few learned shooters and tinkerers I have come up with what I call the 6.5 GM or 6.5 Grendel Max. It will involve a couple of preliminary steps but is easily doable for the similarily afflicted tinkerer.
    My first step is hydro forming a case to use instead of the usual go, no-go guages for headspacing at barrel fitting time and to do this I will use a Forster Grendel Full Length Sizing die set in the press with a .05 spacer between the shell holder and the base of the die. The decapping stem is removed and with a Winchester 7.62x39 case inserted into the die and using an apropriate forcing mandrel a case is hydroformed as a Grendel Max, being .05 longer at the shoulder and shoulder neck junction. In the process the neck is reduced in length from the Grendel SAMMI length of .235 down to .22 for a neck length of 83.5% of bullet diameter which is the same percentage as the 300 Win Mag. Of course throating would allow the OAL of the loaded cartridge to be maximised for the mag length even if that was lenghtened to the rear marginally.
    I know there is a volume loss using the reformed 7.62 case in the Grendel chamber but by lengthening it to the GM dimensions then that and more should be gained back and with the pressure advantages of the bolt rifle then I beleive a worthwhile gain can be made
    I am in the sourcing process for a Mod 85 Zastava and a barrel and hope to geterdone over the winter. (Southern hemisphere winter) although those who indulge in these tinkering projects know how the time can get away from the planned completion dates.
    Will stock it myself in one of the laminates I have made lately where I start with a 15mm (about 9/16) central core and do all the tapering of the forearm and mag well to wrist and butt section so that all the subsequent laminates are running paralell to the eventual outside surface of the stock. Just something a bit different but by not cutting through the outside laminates then I beleive a stronger and thinner stock can be made with the advantage of lighter weight. I will use NZ Beech for its colour, strength and toughness.
    Anyway that is my intention so will sit back and see what the Horde think of the idea.

This is a pic of the 7.62x39 case with a straight necking to 6.5 as is chambered by some here in NZ alongside a Grendel case so you can see how much can be gained if the grendel neck shoulder junction is moved forward.

And my drawing of the Grendel and the Grendel Max

Von Gruff
    Last edited by Von Gruff; 02-28-2014, 08:07 PM.
    http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

What reamer will you use? Looks like a fun little project.

Comment

I shoot bolt action Grendels and I like the idea of a GM. If you get the chance, can you see how many grains of water each will hold?

Comment

• Von Gruff
        Chieftain
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        What reamer will you use? Looks like a fun little project.
        It will be a standard and SAMMI Grendel reamer set .05 deeper at headspacing time.

Von Gruff.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
          Chieftain
          • Apr 2012

Have been informed that quickload gives the 7.62 x39 case reformed to 6.5GM a preliminary gain of just over a 1/2 grain over the factory Grendel case. As reported on the forum here the Grendel case has a 2 gn capacity gain over the 7.62x39 case reformed to Grendel so a 3 1/5 gn gain advantage over the reformed case seems to be indicated.
          If only someone made the 7.62x39 brass without the heavy capacity depriving walls and instead made them to the same dimensions as the grendel - ppc cases but at the full 1.550 (39mm)length

Von Gruff.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
            Chieftain
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
            It will be a standard and SAMMI Grendel reamer set .05 deeper at headspacing time.

Von Gruff.
            I just rang the gunsmith and he said it is a Manson reamer to industry standard specs. Those in the know about the various reamer makers speck will be able to imform us whether the Manson is the real mcCoy as far as the Grendel spec is concerned.

Von Gruff.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
              Chieftain
              • May 2012

It seems neat and should work out well but unless you just want to tinker with somethin I dont see the point of a bolt action grendel especially if part of your goal is to increase performance why not just build a gun in 6.5x47mm Lapua (cases can be formed from 22-250) or 260 and you will have models of performance over what you could squeeze out of a gender max
              Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Sounds like a great project gruff. It will be interesting to see the velocity gains over a regular grendel bolt gun. Good luck and I know you'll keep us posted.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                  Chieftain
                  • Apr 2012

Why not just build something else does not fix the want I have to do this. If I wasn't going to play with this I would stay with my 20VarTarg and 7x57 for the type of shooting I do they would, and do, handily take care of everything to date. Who can explain a fancy for a particular cartridge. I have nothing against the 6.5x47 or any of the other 6.5 cartridges, but they do not have the appeal that this little case does. It may very well be that I go with the recognised grendell but the tinkering side of my nature keeps me awake at night saying "what if" and by the morning I sometimes have answers that nearly make sense. This is one of those times.

Von Gruff.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2012

That what I figured I have a few projects that have started from the same way and half the stuff we have today has come from a guy tinkering with something because he was wanted to know what if.... At least you don't need any specialized dies for this project wildcat dies can get expensive fast also once you get the gun built to would be neat to form a few cases from grendel brass to see if there is a worth while difference and if not you can always set the barrel back to sammi spec and carry on
                    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Von Gruff
                      Chieftain
                      • Apr 2012

Making a case from the Grendel brass wouldleave a neck length of .185 or therabouts which is down to 70% of bullet dia and while it would be fine for single loading I wouldn't see it as a recipe to take on a hunt where rapid reloading may be necessary. It would increase the case capacity by another 2 gn though.

Von Gruff.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Sound like a neat project. Will the thicker 7.62 brass will allow for higher pressures or would that be a bad idea for other reasons?
                        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                          Chieftain
                          • Apr 2012

Possibly but I dont want to get into the leaking primer situation. I like to think my brass will last many reloads so while I like to get much from a case I don't chase the nth degree of performance.

Von Gruff.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                            Chieftain
                            • Apr 2012

Well things have moved on past the purely hypothetical stage with the Forster FLS die to do the hydroforming on the way from Sinclairs, along with Wilson seater die and a few other bits and pieces. Have Win 7.62x39 brass and 123gn A Max bullets sourced locally so in about a week all should be in hand and I can do some case forming and get actual comparative capacities. Have a few Grendel cartridges that I will pull down and re0form and have the three cases (reformed 7.62 and Grendelcases along with the standard Grendel case) to do an actual on the ground, head to head capacity comparison. Have feelers out for an action or donor rifle so just the barrel to get nailed down. Would prefer to go with a .295 neck and long throated but have only one reamer in NZ that I know of as yet and I believe it is a Manson Grendel. The particular GS wasn't to forthcoming so may have to look for alternative source. Anyone out there able to get and legally post a barrel to me in NZ?

Von Gruff.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                              Chieftain
                              • Apr 2012

Well the first steps on the road have been taken. I was able to source an action for the rifle. I was talking to a GS who has done work for me in the past and he had an older Interarms Mark X that had a blown extractor and had no mag spring or follower and I got it for $NZ80 ($US60)

Am going to stock it in a laminated stock and made a start on it yesterday. My laminated stocks are different to the usual laminated stocks as I like to see the outside laminate running parralel with the outside of the rifle without all the laminate layers being cut through as is usual. I rough cut my 6mm to shape and using a electric hand planer set to .6mm made a pass from the magazine well to the forend tip and from the magazine well down through the wrist then from the butt through to the wrist and did a dry clamp up to test. With a little adjustment here and there I then sand all the laminates and glued the first two together.

All the laminates and the pattern planed, sanded and ready for glueing.

Have talked to the GS who will do the work on the rifle and he has a barrel and can ream to whatever dummy case I come up with. Have been contemplating the various advantages -disadvantages to the Grendel Max but untill the dies arrive from Sinclairs ( the tracking number says they left the final sorting facility on June 2 but nothing further yet) then I can do the forming and actual capacity comparisons. Have been in discussions with Joe ( kudos Joe) as to QL data so hope to have it nailed down one way or the other soon.

Von Gruff.
                              Last edited by Von Gruff; 02-28-2014, 08:11 PM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

Working...
                              X