Unwrapping my SAOD 20" Upper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwrapping my SAOD 20" Upper

Hi all, Like many here I became very impatient with the wait times on just barrels/bolts and took the plunge an SAOD 20" Hunter Upper. I ordered it on 27 May and it arrived at the post office on 5 June - mail can be a bit slow up here. The overall fit/finish is outstanding and all of the parts appear to be top shelf although I have no idea who supplied the components. The F/A carrier was a pleasant surprise but it won't work with my sear blocked 6601 lower so I caved and ordered a complete lower from Rainier Arms which should be here in a few days. The finish on the carrier and the staking looks just like my M4A1 when it was brand new. I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to polishing contact surfaces and will be doing this in the coming days prior to her first range trip. I'm not a fan of either the H/G or the gas block and will be swapping them out eventually for a either a PRI or Lancer extended length vented L/W hand-guard since I'll be using this as a hunting rig. The barrel appears to have a slight taper and I mean slight behind the gas block which narrows in front, flaring at the muzzle like an older M249 barrel. Needless to say she's got a bit of heft but is balanced well compared to my issued carbine which is a brick with everything we slap on the rails. The only glass I've got is a Trijicon TriPower and TAO1NSN and am trying to decide between a couple of IOR's (1.5-8 or 2-12) the SWFA SS1-6X14HD or an Accupoint. Fortunately I found a local source of 123gr A-Max for $20 so I'll be able to feed her until my press/dies get here. So without further adieu:

The box:

Documentation:

Comment

Comment

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Very nice, you know your required to post a range report after teasing us with the pictures.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
              Very nice, you know your required to post a range report after teasing us with the pictures.
              As soon as my new lower gets here I'll be heading out to shoot and will post pic's/vids. I won't be able to gauge much since I'm limited to a 1X optic. The upper is sitting on my recliner waiting to go. My goal for the summer/fall is to take Dall Sheep and a Moose with the Grendel ;-)

Comment

Working...
              X