• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skyfish
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

AR Shooting position?

I saw some mention on another thread on holding an AR differently than a normal bolt action when shooting from bags.

What I do, and I'm not saying I'm right. Front of rifle on bags or bipod. Hold rear bag and move for large changes, while squeezing rear bag for small changes. I do that for both bolt actions and AR rifles.

Is there a better technique? Are bipods and front bags handled differently?

Critique away, I'll listen to anything to help make me shoot better.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by skyfish View Post
    I saw some mention on another thread on holding an AR differently than a normal bolt action when shooting from bags.

What I do, and I'm not saying I'm right. Front of rifle on bags or bipod. Hold rear bag and move for large changes, while squeezing rear bag for small changes. I do that for both bolt actions and AR rifles.

Is there a better technique? Are bipods and front bags handled differently?

Critique away, I'll listen to anything to help make me shoot better.
    SF:

Seems to me you are doing what anyone else does when using bags.

The questions is more what you want to accomplish when shooting from a supported position using bags.

Personally, I shoot off of bags when I want to run an initial test on my loads. If I get the consistency I want, I then run some tests at the distances I intend for the load in a position that I use for what ever purpose I have for the rifle and load.

When I do such testing off of bags, I have found my best performance to occur when I have a very solid position. Note the word 'position'. Position encompasses everything from how you set up your rest and bags to fit you and point the rifle at the same time through pressure being put on the rifle via my firing hand, non firing hand, and cheek. I will hold the magazine well with my non firing hand and pull it in to my shoulder while exerting force down on the stock with my cheek. I will pull the pistol grip back into my shoulder as well with my firing hand. What this does is exerts force downward on the bags and to the rear into the shoulder. My bench position with one of these gas blasters is pretty high too so the stock is fully seated into the pocket of my shoulder. It all adds up to comfort that a person is in control of the rifle and that translates into more focus on what is needed which is attention directed on sight picture through the entire shot and re-indexing (follow through to some), then going through the process again.

When you shoot a high recoiling rifle from a rest and just let it recoil, it will blow it and you out of position which means you must take more time to get back into a good position -- and most likely you will change something when you do -- whether it is having to re-adjust your bags or re-set the rifle and you for another shot.

What is happening is you are now having to get a brand new position every shot and it probably won't be consistent. Then the mental game comes into play. Your shots start flaking out and your attention shifts from what you must do for a good shot to being pissed off or wondering why you or the rifle isn't performing.

Have a firm and confident position that controls recoil and you will not get knocked out of position which means more consistency and better attentional focus.

How does that sound?

LR1955

Words to describe this would be 'confident', 'in control', and 'firm'.

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
      SF:

Words to describe this would be 'confident', 'in control', and 'firm'.
      Those concepts also work well with women, too. And dogs.

Comment

Working...
      X