Range Report: Absolution at last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range Report: Absolution at last

After discovering the problem with my brake and correcting it, the weather just wouldn't give me a break, until today. Add to that, I managed to get my hands on a box of Hornady 123 Amax bullets. So I loaded up four sets of 5 loads each and headed out. Conditions were near perfect with a modest tail wind straight at the 100 yard target board and I had the range to myself. That didn't last though. After setting up the targets, chrony, bench rest and rear bag and all my accouterments, I settled down and after three shots, the next group of club members showed up. A fellow with two boys who brought their .22s and set up over on the left benches. We only have a five bench rifle range and dad set next to me with his Sako .338 Lapua bolt action. I got another shot off while dad was fiddling around and as I was breaking the next shot, he set that monster off and warped space and time. I naturally fired a sympathy shot and screwed up the group. We traded turns for the most part after that, but he still managed to surprise me a couple more times. Try as I may, I could not detach myself from thinking about whether he was about to shoot or not, but managed to throw some very pleasing results nonetheless. It was cathartic just getting out and shooting on a beautiful Minnesota spring day with everything working right.

The best group I got was from the initial loading of 29gr of 8208, but 29.5 was a close second. The 30 and 30.5 charges were outside the sweet zone and despite being not as good, it was still very satisfying to just get to shoot with decent weather and very capable bullets.

Here's the results:

EDIT: The targets are 1/2" grid and bull.

Now that I have that behind me, I will go back to finding a good recipe for my 100 and 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips since my original effort was poisoned by the brake problem and I still have some left. I may try working up a recipe for a Barnes bullet for hunting. Not sure what I'll pursue after that since I don't shoot competition. Perhaps try the Amax's again at one of the longer ranges in the area to humiliate myself They and the gun are capable of exceeding my own skill level.

Thanks to Bill Waites for his encouraging PMs and help finding some of those Amax's.

Hoot
    Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2011, 12:48 PM.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Sucess!! I'm really impressed by 8208 so far. I haven't loaded any of the 123's but the 107 Sierras sure like it.

Very nice shooting!

Comment

• skyfish
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

Sweet, nice looking groups and nice SD. Central IA was perfect for going to the range but work was in the way on Sunday. See what Tues and Wed bring.

Comment

• PA_Allen
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Hoot,
        Great data and thanks for sharing! What barrel length were you using? 24"?
        Thanks,
        - PA

Comment

Originally posted by PA_Allen View Post
          Hoot,
          Great data and thanks for sharing! What barrel length were you using? 24"?
          Thanks,
          - PA
          Yes, a 24" Stainless ER Shaw air gauged barrel. AA type Grendel chamber. 6-Groove 1:9 twist. I got it and the matching bolt both new for $350 shipped.

Got me into a Grendel rather inexpensively by using my .223 Varmint upper sans barrel and bolt. The gas block even matched. Ive got some of the Amax's tumbling to shot plate them with HBN. Should prove an interesting experiment for this coming weekend at the range. Hopefully the fellow with the thunder stick doesn't sit next to me again.

Hoot

Comment

• rasp65
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Hoot
            You need to adjust your position so that you throw hot cases at the SOB. That should keep him from fireing until you are done. Oh yea good report on the data you collected
            PS Here is a neat piece of software for measuring your targets http://www.ontargetshooting.com/download.html
            Last edited by rasp65; 04-26-2011, 01:41 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
              Hoot
              You need to adjust your position so that you throw hot cases at the SOB. That should keep him from fireing until you are done. Oh yea good report on the data you collected
              PS Here is a neat piece of software for measuring your targets http://www.ontargetshooting.com/download.html
              That's too cute! Scores my 29gr load at .285 MOA without the flyer and .639 with the flyer.

Thanks for the link.

Hoot

Comment

• terrywick4

Great data, thanks for sharing

Comment

• rasp65
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
                  That's too cute! Scores my 29gr load at .285 MOA without the flyer and .639 with the flyer.

Thanks for the link.

Hoot
                  Hoot
                  It looks promising, I need to get my hands on some of that magic pixie dust,

Comment

I wouldn't go as far as call it that, but it's proving to be a very versatile extruded powder, albeit a fine extruded powder. Kind of like tiny shards of .5mm mechanical pencil lead. I like that it lights off with non-magnum primers. I also using it in my .300 WSSM loads. Imagine kicking a 150gr .30 caliber pill out at 3000 fps in an AR platform. Quite the dynamo. I'm still trying to find a load to make it shoot tighter than 1.5 MOA. I have 20 Amax 123s now HBN shot plated and ready for the next day when it's not 40 and raining or snowing. I can't believe we're almost to May and they're calling for the rain to turn into snow tonight. Poor farmers can't get into their fields yet and already 15 days past planting time. Makes my troubles seem insignificant...

Hoot

Comment

• LRS_Ranger

I have 8 lbs of the stuff on the way... and some 123 Amax's as well.. I hope I get as good results as you...

Comment

• terrywick4

is this a compressed load? I was looking at IMR website and it says 28.5 (there max) is a compressed load.

Comment

Originally posted by terrywick4 View Post
                          is this a compressed load? I was looking at IMR website and it says 28.5 (there max) is a compressed load.
                          I set each case on a vibratory tray for few seconds before seating since the extruded grains do not naturally integrate as uniformly as spherical. Its a soft vibe and seems to maximize case capacity. You could accomplish the same thing by momentarily applying a blunted vibratory engraver tip to the case. The only load I felt any crunch on was the 30.5 gr. I know what over compression looks like. I've had bullets back out a little after seating. The 30.5 gr load was no where near that. The Hornady cases had been fire formed as they were on their second loading. I don't know if the IMR spec is based upon a new case, a fire formed one, or perhaps a resized 7.62x39 case with it's lower capacity, though I doubt the latter. Also, I'd bet a dollar to a donut that they seated the bullet to 2.26 as opposed to 2.29 OAL, not that .03 makes that much difference.

Otherwise I'm at a loss to explain the difference. Was their spec based upon any particular bullet?

Hoot

Comment

Working...
                          X