Help! Reloading Problems--Way Overpressure??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bronco_buster

Help! Reloading Problems--Way Overpressure??

Hopefully some opinions can help clarify the issue that I'm having. I bought my Satern 6.5 Grendel barrel off gunbroker as new. It came with a bolt headspaced to it. I removed the extractor and checked headspace off new Alexander Arms rounds. I checked it with 100g Berger, 123g Lapua, and 120g Nosler. They all closed. Applied two pieces of tape, and no closure. My experience with AR15's told me that this is good to go. So I first shot the Lapuas, and I'm thinking that I may have a tackdriver on my hands. The Noslers were about the same, the Bergers a little off. I ran a box of Wolf through it, and refuse to waste any further barrel life on it.

So I prepped the brass with a stainless tumble, full resized with a standard Redding full length die, and reloaded with 123g Amax to 2.260 and Win748 with CCI mag small rifle primers. Needless to say accuracy wasn't very good. I went up and down ladder testing...without very good accuracy. Typical groups were 2-3 MOA off a bench rest. I thought the new scope combo was to blame, it is after all, a quick detach...but its ADM, so I trust it. I tried it on my 6BR, and the scope tracks and groups a typical ragged hole, so the mount and scope are good. I thought maybe I didn't torque the barrel into the sweet spot during assemlby, so I bought a torque wrench and noted that I had it on there at 35 ft/lbs. I cranked it to the next hole on the barrel nut to 60 ft/lbs, reassembled, checked its headspace, and decided that I would switch to 8208XBR.

First reloads I decided to go 26.5g of xbr in 2x fired Lapua brass that was full length sized. I annealed the cases prior to firing; I use the drill-spin-drop in water bucket method. I've annealed hundreds of 308 and 6.5CM and have refined my technique to the point where the annealing is not in question. I never get crazy with it, they spin until I detect faint red, then they drop in water.

So I loaded up the rounds, went to the range, and got three shots off before I had a jam. I checked the case which had a mangled neck, but then I noted the case head had a swell, the primer was out, and I was getting an ejector mark and swipe on the rim. I also noted that the ejector on the bolt had cracked as well. The lip was sheared, so I packed it up. Too much pressure at 26.5g didn't seem reasonable from the loads people have been posting, and I went middle ground by the Hodgdon online data which gives 28.5g as max on 8208xbr, so I began troubleshooting.

Anyway, I ordered a heavy duty bolt from AA (still waiting for it 4 weeks later) and because of the long wait, I ordered a new extractor which showed up this week. I got it in and decided to trouble shoot the reloads.

I dropped the charge to 25.5g of 8208xbr. This is thrown on an RCBS Chargemaster, which gets freshly calibrated in between reloading sessions, and once during a string of reloads. Again, I used Lapua brass, again its 2x fired due to the failure to get through the previous 50. After pulling bullets, I full resized without the decapping pin in the Redding dies. First reload fired out under 123g Amax at 2.260 and I have a blown primer. Pack it back up for more troubleshooting.

I had reloaded the first batch with Redding dies with an RCBS shellholder. I thought maybe manufacturer compatibility was the issue, so I ordered a Redding shell holder. I also have a set of Lee dies, so I resized a couple pieces of brass with them over the RCBS shellholder. I noted that they did indeed bump the shoulder back 0.002 beyond the Redding full length. I was hopeful, because it seemed to clinch my hunch that the shell holder was probably to blame. So the Redding shellholder shows up. I resize the rest of the brass with it (Redding die/Redding Shellholder) measuring the resultant shoulder bump at 0.003 beyond what they were with the RCBS shellholder.

So I decided to shoot OCW testing. I still want to use 8208xbr, so I decided to drop the charges a bit. I chose 0.5g increments; 25, 25.5, 26, 26.5, 27, 27.5, 28. Again, 123g Amax at 2.260. So at the range, I fire the Lee resized round...popped out primer, big extractor mark, they're retired from the round robin. I fire the 25g, case loooks good. I fire the 25.5g case looks good. At 26g primer pops out, extractor mark, case bulged. I would have let the gun cool, but it wasn't even luke warm. I checked the chamber, clean. Barrel free of obstruction. Recovered the primer from the FCG. Then went back to a 25g round. Primer pops out, case bulges, extractor mark, swipe...I'm livid. Try the 25.5g same result, 26g same result...I pack it up.

I call Satern machining, they're apologetic for my troubles. I give the serial number on the barrel and she tells me Bill wants it sent back to them for inspection with a few rounds of my reloads. She said that it may have a chamber issue, because its from a batch where some dimensions changed, but she really doesn't give a firm affirmation of whether its the culprit or not. With Camp Perry, I'm looking at 4 weeks before it can get sorted out if its the barrel or not. I'm hoping to gain a collective opinion here first, before resorting to that.

On one hand, the barrel has never shot like a Satern. Its performed poorly, which I attributed to being new, and my naivety with the Grendel round. I'm never surprised when I have to tune my rifles to perform. But this is not getting any better, and I don't want to keep wasting Lapua brass. I'm wondering if this is the powder, but others love it. Or, is the chamber is out of spec or something.

I'm hoping to get an experienced reloader's opinion on this topic. Brass pictures are below. I've been reloading for 2 years now, and this is the first caliber/rifle that I'm having a great deal of trouble with. I reload 308, 223, 6.5CM, 6BR, 45, 40sw, so I'm not really new to this rodeo.

Any help appreciated.

First thing I would suggest, is to check for a max COAL with the 123g Amax in your chamber. 2.260" might be way too long.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

I'd have to agree with BWild on this one. Those loads should not have pressure signs UNLESS you are well into the lands with the AMAX.

However, there have been reports of a bad batch of bolts that went through Satern. Supposedly these bolts were not headspaced correctly. No one has ever posted exactly what the issue was, but Satern apparently made good on the issue, since it hasn't cropped up on the board in quite a while. I'm wondering if yours might be from that batch, especially since it got to you through GunBroker.

Please keep us posted on the results you get.

Can you measure the depth of the bolt face?

Is the barrel a Grendel or a .264 LBC chamber?

Comment

• bronco_buster

Couple of answers to your questions:

Measured COAL of rifle: 1.630
        COAL of my reloaded rounds is stable between 1.610 - 1.620
        Bolt face depth is 0.1345 +/- 0.0005
        Its a 6.5 Grendel chamber.
        Serial number on barrel is 4303.
        8.75 Twist barrel.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

If it is a Grendel chamber the dimensions did not change, they have remained constant. The words on the barrel do not necessarily indicate that the chamber is correct. Examine the neck length of the chamber vs the case. Certain variants shortened the neck and in some instances the case would jam onto the neck/throat transition. Annealing will allow this jamming to occur more easily. Also measure the fired case neck diameter.

The pressure indicators show that this is bordering on dangerous. I would not shoot this rifle until the issue is resolved.

Comment

• ChellieWiles

If your brass is measuring 1.610" - 1.630" in length then your case is too long and will crumple around the bullet when you chamber it, if you can force it closed. Case length should be 1.515" or at least between 1.510" and 1.520". As bwaites and bwild stated, the 123 AMAX does hit the lands at mag length. Did you trim those cases down after annealing? Did you get a good shoulder bump when resizing? There are a lot of variables you must consider.

Comment

• bronco_buster

I dont know how to measure my chambers neck length...any tips on it?

COAL (ogive to case head) 1.630 (my chamber based on the hex comparator sold by Sinclair)
              Brass length 1.513 before firing
              Neck length .247 after firing
              Neck length .245 before firing
              OD neck after firing .299
              ID neck after firing .268

Brass sat flush in my Wilson case gage, so admittedly, I didn't trim.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bronco_buster View Post
                I dont know how to measure my chambers neck length...any tips on it?

COAL (ogive to case head) 1.630 (my chamber based on the hex comparator sold by Sinclair)
                Brass length 1.513 before firing
                Neck length .247 after firing
                Neck length .245 before firing
                OD neck after firing .299
                ID neck after firing .268

Brass sat flush in my Wilson case gage, so admittedly, I didn't trim.
                BB37:

Send it back to Satern as they recommended.

You got serious pressure problems that make be believe the chamber was poorly cut in some manner and or the gas system is grossly out of spec.

25 grains of 8208 is so low that it may be on the verge of being dangerous itself. It isn't your powder charges or the bullet. I bet it isn't case length and annealing Lapua brass is utterly unnecessary with the Grendel or any other cartridge for that matter. Unless your chamber and gas system are grossly out of specs.

Send it back to Satern.

LR1955

Comment

Definately looks like a Chamber/Headspace Issue...I agree the trim length is way to long at 1.630", It should be at 1.520"...
                  The COAL for the 123 A-Max is too long at 2.260" should be around 2.225" to 2.35" for most Grendel chambers...
                  Looks like Saturn may had some earlier Grendel chambers that were cut to0 long or had some other
                  dimentional Issues.

I agree with the other posters it is DANGEROUS to keep firing from this barrel...

Good luck with it anyway.

Comment

• bronco_buster

Originally posted by Luv269er View Post
                    ...I agree the trim length is way to long at 1.630", It should be at 1.520"....
                    As stated my BRASS IS TRIMMED TO 1.513 not 1.630.
                    1.630 is my COAL from the Amax ogive to the case base. OAL is 2.260
                    Not sure if people are confused about what COAL means, or if I am explaining that in a confusing manner.

At any rate, I appreciate the opinions. I agree its not worth suffering a catastrophic failure, so I'm not going to tinker with it any longer until Satern has a chance to examine it.

I'll post a follow up in the following weeks...guess I'll go play with the Creedmoor until then.

Comment

C.O.A.L.: Cartridge Over All Length. For most people is the length of the cartridge measured with a vernier caliper only, the use of a comparator to report COAL is what confuses people, it certainly confused me. Can you extract a chambered round (@ 2.260" coal) with the charging handle?

Can you get us a measurement for the max COAL in your chamber? The best method that I know of to get an absolute measurement for max COAL in a specific chamber is very well outlined by Rasp65 Here!

Comment

• bronco_buster

Yes, I can extract rounds that are sized to 2.260 OAL (tip of bullet to base) with the charging handle without sticking bullets in the lands. On my rifle, I measure the COAL (from the ogive) of the 123 Amax to base at 1.630 in my chamber. The rounds being fired in question have a COAL (from ogive to base) of around 1.610.

Comment

• ChellieWiles

Information about ogive length only works with the person reading the caliper. There are a few different ways that most people measure ogive so giving that value only confuses the situation on this forum. Some people subtract the 1.101" from the overall value the comparator gives and some use every inch mark to verify ogives. For future reference, it's in everyone's best interest, and to help with any questions that you or anyone else might have, to use a value that everyone here can agree on instead of trying to force each one of use to evaluate measurements based on a device that attaches to said measuring instrument. KISS. keep it simple stupid.

Comment

Seems odd that's it only happening on your resized brass loads with only 8208. I would lean more towards your charge master or crappy brass. Even with imr your only getting the brass failure once in a while and not every round.

Comment

Also what comparator are you using and what is its length? 1.630 base to ogive seems kinda short for a coal of 2.260. I use the hornady one and 2.250 coal measures at 1.670 base to ogive on hornady brass trimmed to 1.515 with 123 amax. I wouldn't waste my time sending Satern back one of their fine barrels just to wait and them tell you nothing's wrong with it.
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2012, 03:46 AM. Reason: im rick james hoe

Comment

Working...
                              X