Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first 6.5mm Grendel Project - after 3 .223 Rem AR-15s

Hi there,

I registered here because all the german gun forums lack of sufficient information about this young and potent caliber. After some experiences with custom .223 AR15s, (DMR556 & SBR556 (yes, they are allowed in Germany) I am planning my first 6.5mm Grendel Rifle and hope to receive some advice or hints from all you professionals out here. Maybe I start with the setup I planned by now, here comes a list of the parts I like to use:

Upper Receiver: VLTOR MUR 1A
    Lower Receiver: DAR - DAR Lower Advanced
    Handguard: GenIII Delta Carbon Fiber Forearm Rifle Length Black
    Top Rail: Gen III Delta Forearm SPR Straight Top Rail rifle length (does anyone know the height this rail adds to the flat top receiver?)
    Barrel: 20" Lothar Walther 1 in 9 twist (what twist would you recommend? My intention is to use heavier bullets)
    Barrel Extension: Les Bear Custom
    Bolt: Alexander Arms
    Bolt Carrier: DPMS M16 (due to its mass)
    Gas block: Noveske Switchblock 5.56 Rifle length (I know, there is one available for 6.8SPC, but only in Midlength, do you think the Switchblock will work?)
    Stock: MAGPUL UBR was my first choice, but maybe a standard A2 is suits that concept a little bit more, what do you think?
    Trigger: Geissele High Speed Match
    Charging Handle: Rainier Arms Raptor™
    Mag Release: Norgon Ambi Mag Catch
    Magazines: AR-Stoner 10 rd
    Grip: TangoDown Battlegrip
    Muzzlebrake: GUNWORKS VAULT762 - not released yet
    Scope: Schmidt & Bender PMII / LP
    Scopemount: ERATAC BlockMount

This is my first approach, what do you think? Did I forget something? Does anyone know who sells the corresponding reamer like this one from PTG?

Thank you very much in advance for all your suggestions!!

@Mod
    I am not quite sure if this posting is at the right place here, feel free to move it to a more appropriate place
    Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2012, 09:23 PM.

Welcome. Looks like a good start so far. I've also wondered about the appropriate Noveske Switchblock to use with the Grendel, if any. A lot of the Grendel gas port diameters/gas system lengths seem to be comparable with how a 5.56 gun is set up. What suppressors are you considering?

You will NOT need the PRI top rail, as it will add excessive optic height with the ERA-TAC. Get the appropriate 1-piece mount that will give you the eye-relief you need, and get a Magpul PRS stock, or the Magpul ACS. If the gun will be riding the bench more and accuracy at distance is your main goal, go with the PRS. You might need the extended ERA-TAC mount with the 3-12 PMII.

Looks like a great start to a top-end build. Maybe consider a higher-end barrel to match your component selection. Does LW have select match barrels in Germany?

The 3-12x50 S&B is the largest I would go for a 20" Grendel. ERA-TAC mounts look good. I would definitely go with the 20 MOA model, even though you will have plenty of elevation travel with the S&B, as you'll be closer to optical true at distance. Remember to get the 34mm rings of course.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Sounds like you have a top of the line shooter planned out. Is factory ammo available in Germany or will you be loading it all?
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

@LRRPF52
        I came to the same conclusion concerning the Noveske Switchblock. I will try this one out, if it does not work, it will be changed with a PRI Adjustable. I already ordered a british TRIDENT MODERATORHEYM Barrels a Redding S die set is ordered - I hope it ships to Germany.

Comment

"Kohoki"
          I thought about the PRS, too. The reason I selected the UBR or A2 Std. is that I already have one of these on the 18" AR-15. I tried to avoid two similar setups. I do agree, accuracy at distance is the main goal of this built up. Are there other stocks on the market with adjustable cheek pieces?
          Here are two very nice alternatives to the PRS!

This one is the Mako SSR25, it uses a rifle length buffer, tube, spring. A little on the light side but very durable.

This is the Mako recoil reducing stock, uses the carbine length buffer, tube, spring.

Comment

• IndyGrendel63

Welcome to the party!
            Just my two cents but if you want to shoot heavier projectiles then you might want to opt for a faster twist (similar to what is used in the .223 with 69 gr and up). My Grendel has a 1:8 twist Lilja barrel (Precision Firearms upper). I thought the faster twist might give me a bit of an edge with the heavier projos.

Comment

@IndyGrendel63

I think I will order the 20" barrel (whether its from Lothar Walther or Heym) with a 1:9 Twist as shown here.

Maybe the barrel reveives a fluting between muzzle and gasblock, well see.

I just found out, that the PRI Rail adds 0.45" to the height of the receiver.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Kohoki,

According to Bill Alexander, the 1:9 works great in 20-24" barrels, so that is a good choice. I'd love to have a hammer forged Heym in that length!

Comment

@bwaites
                  I think I will go for a HEYM, due to the fact that my two other ARs are equipped with LW barrels.

I talked to my gunsmith today, and we came to a some interesting facts about this caliber.

First of all it has not a european C.I.P. entry. This is similar to the U.S. SAAMI Standard listing and makes the 6.5 Grendel a wildcat in Europe.

Second: Although it has been added to the SAAMI standard in Feb. 12, it is still not listed in the SAAMI Cartridge and Chamber Database.

Or did I miss something? Is the 6.5mm Grendel still a wildcat in the U.S.?

Third: The conflict between these components could be solved
                  1. S&B 3-12x50 PMII (P / LP / MTC): 57mm (2.244") Objective Lens Diameter
                  2. Gen III Delta Forearm SPR Straight Top Rail rifle length: Adds 11,43mm (0.450") to the height of the upper receiver
                  3. ERA TAC BlockMount w/o slope: Height (rail to bottom of middle tube): 22mm

This leads to a distance between the scopes objective lens and the Handguard of about 1.5mm (0.059") and a middle tube height of about 33,42mm (1.31"). Unfortunately I have to waive the 20 MOA Slope. This can be covered if I order the scope with the double turn feature which adds about 160 bucks to the scope.

Das ist irgendwie doof, oder?
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2012, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

The Grendel has been accepted and is now known as a SAAMI cartridge. However, their publication of actual drawings lags behind significantly.

No CIP entry as yet, but we keep hoping that Lapua, who makes the brass, will push it through.

I run a 56mm objective on my 28" Grendel, but it does reside on a 20MOA rail above the main rail, which puts it about 12mm extra above the main rail at the scope center.

Comment

There is also this buttstock, CAA Sniper Stock:

Comment

I heard from a special A.R.M.S. Mount which should fit perfekt for this setup. Does anybody know which one is meant?

Comment

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

SAAMI is an interesting group. They are a "members only" organization, and you have to be invited to join. I'm sure that if you are a SAAMI member, all this stuff is easy to get. If you aren't, you are stuck waiting until they get around to publishing.

You are aware that I posted the chamber drawing, though, right?

Comment

@Bwaites
                              Yes, thank you. I found the drawing a few days ago and already forwarded it to my gunsmith to get a reamer prepared. I just wondered why we do not find a drawing of the chamber measurements although the SAAMI Membership. Maybe it would be more efficient (if they really want to spread the word about that caliber) to have it C.I.P. listed. You do not have a drawing of the AR bolt, haven't you?

The lower receiver came last weekend, I think I will have the Grendel skull lasered on both sides

Comment

Working...
                              X