My first 6.5mm Grendel Project - after 3 .223 Rem AR-15s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The guys from HEYM asked me about the diameter of the gasport today. What would you recommend? It will be a 20" barrel.

Comment

I would try calling Alexander Arms monday and talk to Bill A. There has been some discussion on here about it, if you can find those threads. That is, if noone here can help you out.

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

My gas port is .0980" on a 20" Satern barrel. I know that because I reamed it to that diameter when tuning my rifle for sub-sonic loads. It is a little on the large size and the rifle is very slightly over gassed with full power loads but not to the point where it causes me much concern. I do plan on installing an adjustable gas block but I just haven't gotten around to it. I would recommend a slightly smaller gas port for unsuppressed full power loads and even smaller for full power suppressed. If you intend to shoot suppressed sub-sonic loads a port slightly smaller than .0980" should still work due to the added pressure.
        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

@txgunner

Thank you very much for your reply! I will tell my gunsmith to start with a diameter of about 2.45mm (slightly smaller than the mentioned .098" (2.4892mm)).
          I will mount a Noveske Switchblock on that rifle, so the function can be controlled with that device.

Another way would be to measure the max. diameter of the 20" Switchblock port who enables unsurpressed shooting - the gas port on the rifle should be almost the same size, maybe slightly (.02 mm) smaller. Does anybody know the port sizes on the 20" Switchblock models?

Comment

I would like to laser that Grendel skull into my new lower receiver, would someone be so kind and provide a .dxf, .ai or .eps file? Your help is highly appreciated!!Thanks in advance!

Comment

Besides the lasered Grendel Logo, the PRI delta handguard will get a set of decal stickers as seen on the A-10 Warthog:

The set is in production right now (app. 9 cm x 4 cm)
              Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2013, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Hi again,

the project is going on, I almost got all my parts together, the barrel is in preparation as well as the decal stickers. It will be awesome!
                Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2013, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Guys, it is time to order the barrel. As I described in the past it will be a 20" Lothar Walther custom made barrel. Here comes the spec, comments are highly appreciated:

Length: 20"
                  Gasport: Rifle length
                  Gassystem: Noveske Switchblock
                  Gasport diameter: ??
                  Twistrate: 1/9 or 1/8.75 (I want to use 123grs. and above, whats your suggestion?
                  Diameter from barrelnut to gasport: 25,4mm fluted
                  Diameter from gasport to muzzle: 19mm fluted
                  Glassbeadblasted & Titaniumaluminumoxide PVD coating

Comment

Sounds great! Either twist will be fine, though if you want to go to a longer,lead free projo, the faster twist may be better. Gas port diameter should be .0935 on a 20". Looking forward to range report on this build.

Comment

Thanks to Gswamp, the decals arrived!!! I decorated the dedicated pelicase 1700 for my Grendel immediately:

Waiting for the Grendel parts from Alexander Arms right now, does anyone have a clue how long the orders take right now?

Cheers

Tom
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2013, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Update of all planned items

Product Update:
                        • Upper Receiver: VLTOR MUR 1A - check
                        • Lower Receiver: DAR - DAR Lower Advanced - check
                        • Handguard: PRI GenIII Delta Carbon Fiber Forearm Rifle Length Black inc. decal set - check
                        • Top Rail: PRI Gen III Delta Forearm SPR Straight Top Rail rifle length - check
                        • Barrel & Barrel Extension: 20" Lothar Walther 1/8 Twist, 2.4mm Gasport diameter, QPQ coated - not ordered yet
                        • Bolt: Alexander Arms - not delivered yet, does anbybody know what delivery times to expect there??
                        • Bolt Carrier: High Standard Semi Auto or Fail Zero, - not ordered yet, What would you choose?
                        • Gas block: Noveske Switchblock 5.56 Rifle length - check
                        • Stock: MAGPUL UBR + Aluminum Strike Plate + 0.7" Rubber butt pad - check
                        • Trigger: Wilson Combat TTU 3G - on its way
                        • Safety Selector: BadAss Ambidextrous - on its way
                        • Charging Handle: Rainier Arms Raptor™- check
                        • Mag Release: Norgon Ambi Mag Catch - check
                        • Magazines: Alexander Arms 10 rd, - see bolt
                        • Reloading die set: Redding S-Type full length die set Brownells No. 749-008-199WB - on backorder
                        • Grip: BCM GUNFIGHTER™ Grip Mod 1 - Black - check
                        • Muzzlebrake: GUNWORKS VAULT556 M15x1- check- ordered
                        • Scope: Schmidt & Bender PMII Ultra Short 3-20x50 - ordered
                        • Lens Covers: Tenebraex ARD + TT Covers - ordered
                        • Bipod: Atlas BT10-LW17 + Cleat feet, spikes & pouch - check
                        • Scopemount: ERATAC BlockMount - check
                        • Case: Pelicase 1700 - check

All products I already have in my hands are marked green, the products I am waiting for are marked red.
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2013, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2012

Well you have gone and done it now sir. You made me want to go get some Pelican cases for all my stuff (to be fair this was aided by the fact I just got a couple of Pelican coolers). And, now all of a sudden I painfully want a Jagerschnitzel and an Andech's. This is clearly your fault.

Kidding aside. How did you get a Waffenbesitzkarte for a weapon like that? The German folk threw a fit when they realized I had an AR-15 at home. Oh, and which Bundeslander are you from sir?

Comment

Andechs pilsener! I just opened a JEVER Pils
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2013, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• XcountryRider

I ordered two bolts back in Feb and they haven't showed up. Good luck with that. If they ever come i may sell.

Comment

@XcountryRider

Wow, that sounds inadmissible. I think it is a no-go to tell you on the website that all products are on backorder and then let you wait for half a year. What do they say if you call them?

Comment

Working...
                                X