Endurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endurance

I achieved a goal yesterday at the National Matches, Camp Perry Ohio. That goal was to achieve Distinguished Rifleman Status and I set it in 2008. It took me four years, 112 matches held in four states, and about $40,000 dollars in expenses. But the highest cost was the time and effort. I'm 58 years old and fading in my abilities but I still have endurance, and that is what it takes more than anything else.
    Yes you have to understand sight alignment, trigger control, and how to build a repeatable and solid position, actually four of them. But you have to be able to endure the elements, long days in uncomfortable weather, rain shine or whatever, the match goes on.
    If any of you are interested here is the history of the distinguished rifleman badge, here is a link to the history http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/In...ulver_2000.pdf
    Bob
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Congrats!! That's huge!!!

Comment

Congratulations Bob. You have done well.

Dave

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Well done sir!
        Drifter

Comment

congratulations stokes, well done!

Comment

Excellent effort and result, Bob. We, as largely novice shooters-with some obvious exceptions, appreciate your endurance in responding to endless inquiries and sharing your wisdom and skillsets with us. Thanks for your many contributions-I'm a better shooter and handloader for it.

Comment

Outstanding!! That is truly an admirable achievement Bob.
              I'm with bobke on this one, your shared wisdom is greatly appreciated!

Comment

Congrats and thanks for your insightful sharing of knowledge as well. This is a monumental achievement for a professional rifleman. I'm interested in what type of mental and physical preparations you make, aside from the focus on rifle and kit. For example, do you wipe your schedule clean before a match, and go into a zone with no distractions, start hydrating, eating certain foods, vitamins, etc.? I notice how much being hydrated helps me shoot better, or do anything better, for that matter.

Thanks for sharing this achievement with us!

Comment

• ChellieWiles

So you had to "pay" for a distinguished marksmanship status? Any title I had to pay for isn't a title worth winner. Though, congrats either way.

Comment

Gotta pay to play, Chellie. Entry fees, travel expenses, guns, ammo, upkeep and on/on. I'd say most here don't subscribe to the entitlement philosophy-if you want it, you fund it!

Comment

Great job!

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Bob:

Good work there. Guys chase those leg points for years. Not uncommon for a guy to spend five or ten years depending on the availability of Excellence in Competition matches in their area.

Normally, a guy who legs out for rifle heads towards the pistol side. I understand there are a bunch of guys who are Distinguished in one but very few in both. Might as well spend a couple thosand on pistols and go for it!

LR1955

Comment

Thanks to all for the congratulations.
                          Just to be clear, the money I mentioned was spent for travel, lodging, food, reloading components, equipment, match fees, and so on.

LR1955, I have a capable service pistol and a wad cutter gun, but I'm thinking of learning to shoot my match rifle properly first. My goals are the Presidents 100 and High Master, of course I'll still have to shoot my service rifle for the P100 but the Match rifle is for High Master, I can't see the iron sights well enough to make high master with the service rifle. Then I'll maybe seek the double distinguished with the pistol. I have two friends that have done so.
                          Bob

Comment

Bob-
                            Would you be up for sharing a minor amount of detail on the gun and optic selections you've distilled for your "go to" competition battery? Think a lot of us could glean some real wisdom from what it takes, gear wise only, to attain your select status. Thx.

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bobke View Post
                              Bob-
                              Would you be up for sharing a minor amount of detail on the gun and optic selections you've distilled for your "go to" competition battery? Think a lot of us could glean some real wisdom from what it takes, gear wise only, to attain your select status. Thx.
                              I would second that!

In fact, I'd ask if you can take us through your whole setup, including reloading, shooting pad, coat, etc. !

I know you are busy, but a series of articles would be awesome. If there are things you would do differently in regards to prep, reloading, equipment, etc. that would be very helpful to avoid the same mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                              X