My friend held a burglar at gunpoint this morning, criminal crapped his pants!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend held a burglar at gunpoint this morning, criminal crapped his pants!

Just got off the phone with my friend and real estate partner.

About 5am this morning he and his wife heard noises in the yard. Trusty little dog was growling and acting all manly too. So he grabs his Glock 34, which is his IDPA competition pistol and sees a guy in his fenced-in back yard trying to break into his garage.

Out of the house he goes, shouting instructions to the thief to get down or risk being shot. The criminal takes a couple steps toward him and he shouts again to SIT DOWN, at that point criminal sees the Glock and drops to the ground and shits his pants.

His wife dialed the local police who respond in force. They arrive guns drawn and ask for my friends gun, he declines and says he is the homeowner. Cops keep guns drawn on him until he agrees to put the gun down. He does without issue. In the mean time the criminal is being taken into custody and placed in another car. Then there is some swearing by the officer at the car and a call for another car. The car arrives and it has the hard plastic back seat instead of a traditional padded seat. Our criminal, who we will now call "Mr Stinky Pants" is manhandled into the easily hosed down car and hauled away.

Homeowners dog keeps wandering over to, and sniffing, the spot in the yard where Mr Stinky Pants was forced, at gunpoint, to lay down

Score another win for a homeowner with a gun
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Awesome!...send the story to NRA for publication in their monthly magazines...
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

+1 for the good guys!

Comment

With all the negative stories out there it's good to hear a positive story. Thanks

Comment

Great! Thats good "stuff". Wonder what a liberal would have done. the stink would probably have been on the other ,uh, rear.

Comment

I hope they will follow up with the story and a photo of his mugshot in the local paper so the community can have an increased awareness also, and shame him with a snicker... tisk tisk.

as a follow up, where there any issues with your friend after he finally complied to the orders of the police to put his gun down? he got to keep his firearm?

Comment

Originally posted by Northwind View Post
              as a follow up, where there any issues with your friend after he finally complied to the orders of the police to put his gun down? he got to keep his firearm?
              The whole thing went very smooth. He realized that he was being told to put down his gun, put it down and backed away. The police questioned him and confirmed he was the homeowner. Upon that confirmation they TOLD HIM TO GO INSIDE THE HOUSE AN PUT ON HIS PANTS . . . then come back out to talk to the detective who was en route to his home. So the criminal had CRAP in his pants and the homeowner had NO pants.

The police did take his gun. They also told him he could pick it up today at lunch. If they wanted to run the numbers it seems like that could have been done on the spot, so I don't quite understand why they took his gun. But he already got it back.

VIDEO => http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...k4qCPBc#t=517s
              Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2012, 01:45 AM.

Comment

• BjornF16
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

good on him for restraint...at 0500 in Texas (dark) that would have been criminal mischief and perfectly legal/sanctioned for the trespasser to have been shot on sight.

I hope he got a receipt for his gun before he let them depart his premises. I think their taking it is a foul since there was not a shooting.

I think it would make a good story for the NRA magazines...
                LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                  good on him for restraint...at 0500 in Texas (dark) that would have been criminal mischief and perfectly legal/sanctioned for the trespasser to have been shot on sight.
                  Perfectly legal here in Indiana too.

Indiana Code:
                  (d) A person:
                  (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against any other person; and
                  (2) does not have a duty to retreat; if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.
                  (e) With respect to property other than a dwelling, curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against any other person if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person's possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person's immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect.

Comment

Just be careful about having to shoot someone with a gun modified for competition in any way. Anything that you do to make a gun easier to shoot than a factory gun can be used in civil court to try to prove that you were trying to make it easier for you to kill someone, or intent to shoot them or kill. I know, it's scuzzy, but no need to help the bad guys. Also, no handloads, same reason. I carry ammunition marked by the manufacturer as "Defense", or the same ammunition used by the police department. No custom gun shop guns for carry or defense pistols. I don't necessarily agree with it being right, but I took it as good advice.

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Guys:

Good stuff.

What does it have to do with mental skills?

LR1955

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                        Guys:

Good stuff.

Well I looked around the forum and couldn't find a better place to put it. But I also looked at it this way:
                        • The homeowner visually assessed the situation before exiting his house to determine a perceived threat level.
                        • The homeowner took command of the situation by using strong verbal commands when confronting the criminal.
                        • The homeowner remembered the gun safety and IDPA training I (and others) had given him and used walls and fence as cover until he was sure there was only 1 criminal.
                        • The homeowner remained calm and composed while having several police officers point guns at him. Something I think is related to stress situation that are found on some IDPA courses.

I honestly figured that those things are mental skills that come with training and education. If they are not, what are they?

Now honestly, I think the 6.5 Grendel Forums could use a few more Topic Areas, perhaps a "general gun handling" area, this thread could easily have gone there. It would be nice to see a "Bolt Action Grendel" topic area, I know I'm not alone in that. Perhaps a "politics of gun issues" area for discussions of legislation, restrictions, etc.

Seems to me that I find those type of threads buried into topic areas where they also make little logical sense, but users are forced to stuff threads of interest into areas where they can try to fit them instead of having topic areas that might be of pretty high interest on other topics. JMO

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

While I find this topic fascinating, (it's always the first section I read in NRA publications) I have to agree it doesn't really belong in the training section.

It doesn't really have a section where it does belong on the forum, because we have made a conscious decision to concentrate on the Grendel and not general interest topics. There are lots of other forums with plenty of space to do that. The old forum sometimes got bogged down with those issues so Hanka made a decision to avoid that here. We appreciate that there are some topics members want to discuss from time to time, so we look the other way so long as it doesn't get too over the top.

I agree we need a bolt forum, and Hanka is considering that, I believe.

I'm going to leave this up, there is plenty of good sentiment here for it, but move it to the general Grendel forum where most of these type threads are.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                            While I find this topic fascinating, (it's always the first section I read in NRA publications) I have to agree it doesn't really belong in the training section.
                            . . .
                            I'm going to leave this up, there is plenty of good sentiment here for it, but move it to the general Grendel forum where most of these type threads are.
                            Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue in any way. But I honestly looked at the whole forum and I honestly believed that this was a big learning experience for my friend/real estate partner and that his pistol training and his modest involvement in IDPA both gave him lessons that he was able to use in real life. I also thought it was a pretty funny story given the criminal crapped his pants.

Do we not draw our mental skills from our training?

Stress situations seem to me to be very dangerous. I intentionally have static shooters practice at from a static point while shooting at a static target and get them into their comfort zone before I change things up. Its fun to watch someone put a magazine full of bullets into a fist size hole from a static spot and then watch them completely miss the target paper when introduce a dynamic movement or two into the course of fire. Get them used to moving. Get them used to moving targets. Their mind then processes these movements, which were when first encountered, STRESS situations, but now are no longer stressful.

To my mind, this was a learning experience and it was also something that had a positive outcome based on the fact that he had the mental skills to deal with the situation.
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2012, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fanofflyn View Post
                              Just be careful about having to shoot someone with a gun modified for competition in any way. Anything that you do to make a gun easier to shoot than a factory gun can be used in civil court to try to prove that you were trying to make it easier for you to kill someone, or intent to shoot them or kill. I know, it's scuzzy, but no need to help the bad guys. Also, no handloads, same reason. I carry ammunition marked by the manufacturer as "Defense", or the same ammunition used by the police department. No custom gun shop guns for carry or defense pistols. I don't necessarily agree with it being right, but I took it as good advice.
                              I read this kind of thinking often and actually had the instructor in my CC class mention handloads. I also have yet to see anyone cite a single incident wherein somebody was sued because they used handloads or a modified gun. In Alaska if you shoot somebody that is in the process of committing a felony, the law protects you from civil suit. Wouldn't matter if I shot him with a mini gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X