• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by melensdad View Post
    The concept of a cheek weld with the 'carbine' stock and the factory CZ scope mount is nothing more than a mythical concept. The stock is too low and the rings are too high to get a good cheek weld.
    I was afraid of that.

Do you think both stock and mounts need addressing for an appropriate scoped rifle, or do you think perhaps just a stock change using your existing rings (and bolt handle) would work appropriately?

Here's an image and link to CZ's 527 Varmint stock:

Also, one of the strap-on stock pads that raises the cheek and stores ammo might be an inexpensive solution for the Carbine stock (though it might not suit everyone's taste):

Drifter

Comment

Agreed. The 527's stock makes it difficult to use a scope- and a Grendel really needs a scope to live up to its potential. The first thing I did was refinish the stock since my wood wasn't as nice as some anyway. That of course didn't help and the wood still sucked. So, I bought a aftermarket laminate stock from Boyds. I hollowed out the butt and opened up the forarm to lighten it up some-still no help. I played with different rings some and finally setteled on Millet rings. I put a Blackhawk nylon cheek piece on-the one wih a little pocket on the far side to store a spare clip. I am now left with a very functional Grendel 527 carbine, not as pretty as some, but it's as light and fast as a 30 30 and can hit waaay out there.

Comment

My thought is that I bought the Carbine model because I really wanted the small, light stock.

But I'm gonna have to do something.

The scope is so high with the standard mounts that instead of resting your cheek against the stock you actually have the stock resting up against your lower jaw. I honestly think that the CZ mounts have to go and, along with that, the bolt handle needs to go because the shape of the handle is why CZ made the mounts so tall. So swapping all that out will get the scope down lower and closer to the bore axis where it belongs.

If that is not enough then I'll have to do something like adding a pad to the stock.

Here are a couple photos that show how high the scope is mounted using the standard factory rings in relation to the buttstock.

Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2012, 01:26 AM.

Comment

The regular "American" CZ stock is the same as the "Carbine" model, except it has a normal, (more) straight comb. You'd have to inlet it for the sight block barrel profile, but it would still accomplish the same thing.

But, the modified bolt handle (I have the one from CRT) and lower mounts do help... Just not enough IMHO.

Comment

This sounds encouraging to me. I need at least 2.25" drop in the stock to get a good cheek weld with a scope. If this one is really low for someone else, with my Cherokee cheeks, this may be perfect for me. I know the 527 .223's that I have fit me very nice. I may have to get on in 7.62 and polish the action (which took me hours in the .223's) and see if I can make a grendel out of it

Comment

• Von Gruff
              Chieftain
              • Apr 2012

Have any of you thought of using the hot oil method to bend the stock at the wrist and raise the comb line for more user friendly scope use with lower mounts and a bolt handle change?
              http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
              Acts 4:10-12

Comment

I've given no thought to bending the stock or even changing the stock, I hope to stick with the stock.

But I have already stated that the rings and bolt handle will likely be changed.

Comment

And.. at least consider using a scope with a 50 mm objective, since the bell sits so high over the action.

Comment

Well, got word back from McGowen Precision Barrels today. 20 week wait to get a conversion barrel installed. YIKES?!?

Comment

• Drifter
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Well, got word back from McGowen Precision Barrels today. 20 week wait to get a conversion barrel installed. YIKES?!?
                      They say that good things take time, but it's tough to wait that long.

I mentioned previously that CSS had pre-fit CZ-527 Varmint-contour barrels in stock (as of a week or two ago). I think they have reamers for three different chamber variations, and 6.5 Grendel SAAMI could be one of 'em now. At the time, indication was that they could get one chambered and sent out within a week. Then timing would depend solely on the barrel installation. Might be worth checking with Triple River to see what kind of timeline they're on. Add a Varmint stock (or open the barrel channel on your Carbine stock), and you could be hunting with it this fall.
                      Drifter

Comment

I already sent them an email asking a few questions, am awaiting an answer.

Comment

I had a remington Gredalied by Wyatts firearms (Washington or maybe Oregon). It only took 4 or 5 weeks. That included orther work too.

Comment

I had McGowen do the conversion on my 527 300 AAC Blackout. They built the barrel, accurized the action, installed and re-blued everything. The price was right (~$450 door-to-door), but it took FOREVER! I sent in my barreled action in the middle of November 2011 and I got it back in late May 2012. That's 6 months plus!

I should also mention that I ordered barrel fluting, I paid for barrel fluting and the invoice/packing slip that came back with my new barreled action said they fluted the barrel... But the barrel wasn't fluted. They did give me the option to send it back for them to flute, but I opted to take the refund and not wait another month or more to get it back again.

It did turn out nice, though. They made my barrel to the standard Varmint contour with a 1:8" twist, hacked it off at 16.25" and profiled the muzzle for my suppressor mount (Spike's MRS-2). Here's a picture of it in the Kevlar stock. I have a laminate stock that it'll go in once I get around to pillar bedding it.

Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2012, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Hooz, is that an HS Precision stock?

Comment

Hooz, is that an HS Precision stock?
                                Yes. That is the old-style Varmint Kevlar stock made by HS Precision. The new ones are supplied by Bell & Carlson and are slightly different.

Comment

Working...
                                X