X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeauxTide
    Unwashed
    • May 2015

Question. I have 1000 120gr Corelokts that I bought for my .260 and 6.5-06. In looking at the available loading data, there is no load listed for bullets with exposed lead. I used a BAR in 308 and 7mmRM back in the 70's when there were no polymer tipped bullets. I'm new to the AR platform, so is the system more prone to malfunction using standard bullets in my Alexander Grendel?

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Not sure where you are looking for load data, but pages 8283, 87 (120 Pro Hunter), 90 and 91 of Volume 2 of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook has a pile of loads for lead-tipped bullets. Page 87, in particular, has loads for the 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter, which loads very much like the Core-Lokt.

More loads are at GrendelData.com.

Grab a copy or subscribe, look at the loads, and start low and work up to a comfortable accuaracy node.

Regarding differences in feeding reliability between this class of bullet, the hollow-point, and plastic tipped bullets, there have been few, if any reports in the various posts in this forum. Some of us, however, have the same concern about accuracy with the lead-tip bullet in any magazine fed firearm. That is that the tip can get deformed on the way into the chamber. Again, not many reports of this being an issue appear to have surfaced.
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• 208Grendel
        Unwashed
        • May 2015

.264 LBC IMR 8208 XBR/CFE 223 Loads

I experimented this weekend with CCI BR4 and CCI 450 primers along with several different powders. There were some promising results using my BHW barrel chambered in .264 LBC. Groups were shot at 100 yards. Conditions were near perfect, with an intermittent tail wind of 2-3 mph and a temp of approximately 86 degrees F.

30.6 grains of CFE 223 with a CCI 450 primer yielded the best result with a two hole clover leaf and two of the three rounds in the same hole. Several other loads may require further review (loads using IMR8208 XBR may have been influenced by minor differences in charge weights or shooter error). However, these loads did result in slightly lower velocities when compared to the best CFE 223 result.

Brass/primers did not exhibit any pressure signs.

*DISCLAIMER* I began with the intention of loading five rounds per load, but foolishly did not count how much brass I had. Thus the reason why the 4 groups in the middle of the target had five rounds and the others only three. I accept responsibility for any fliers Hope this is informative as I am still getting the hang of posting around here.
        Attached Files

Comment

• jawbone
          Warrior
          • Jan 2012

outstanding data display, 208!

Comment

• apynckel
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2014

Has anyone done a load progression with 8208 XBR with 95 gr VMAX in a 24" barrel?

Comment

• pdq5oh
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2015

Here some 8208 loads I'm working on. 20" BHW barrel. 264 LBC Type I chamber.
              Last edited by pdq5oh; 08-05-2015, 02:37 AM.
              Phil

Comment

• 1911man
                Warrior
                • May 2015

Are those 5 shot groups? What twist is your barrel?

Comment

• pdq5oh
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2015

Hi, the top 2 are 3 shots. The lower 2 are 4 because the groups opened up and I wanted to see if it was me, or the load. I'm going to work more with the 28.1 & AMAX. I think 28.5 is max, so will try a couple more tenths. I'm very pleased with the SSTs. Now, to get them shot at 500 & beyond, and see what I get.
                  I've, also, had good luck with 28 gr 8208 and 107 gr SMKs at 2.250 OAL. Though those bullets have proved vexing to get consistent OAL without a lot of messing around. Honestly, I don't see much point in messing with them as the SSTs and AMAXs load much easier, and are $7 less per 100.
                  The barrel is 1/9 twist, with a Yankee Hill Slant muzzle break.
                  Phil

Comment

• 1911man
                    Warrior
                    • May 2015

I have a 18" BHW barrel with a 1x9 twist and my rifle does not seem to like the Amaxes and XBR. I get really good 3 shot groups and the occasional good 4 shot but never a good 5 shot group. I have had much better success with the 120 SMK and with TAC powder. TAC is slower than my liking though.

Comment

• pdq5oh
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2015

I'll shoot some 5 shot groups, and try not to panic & throw the fifth shot out ha. I have some 120 SMKs, but haven't done much with them. The Hornadys shoot so well, and are $7 or more less per 100 than Sierra bullets here.
                      Once I get the load I want, I'll get out the chronograph and let you know what velocity I'm getting.
                      Last edited by pdq5oh; 08-05-2015, 04:39 PM.
                      Phil

Comment

• 1911man
                        Warrior
                        • May 2015

Yeah, I wish the Hornady bullets would shoot better out of my gun as they are cheaper and have a higher BC. My gun just likes the Sierras better. I have noticed that in all of my guns every load that I have that I shoot with a Hornday bullet will shoot better with a SMK. I think Sierra just makes the better bullet.

Comment

• 37L1
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2015

First three shots today at 200 yards. .183 MOA
                          123 Amax, 31.8 CFE 223, Tula 5.56M, Hornady brass, 1.680 Ogive.
                          Lilja 740, 20", 1/8, Precision Firearms LMD Brake. Average velocity 2470 fps.

Shot two additional five shot groups, several in same hole but with outliers, still shot in the .6's.

Lilja makes good stuff. . .

[IMG][/IMG]
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Steamburn
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2015

The site grendeldata.com is down!!!

Comment

• rabiddawg
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2013

Steamburn look at this.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...s-to-Ammoguide!
                              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Steamburn
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2015

rabidawg:
                                Thanks.
                                I went to ammoguide and to my surprise, I had signed up back in 2013, so I only had to renew my subscription.
                                Now for the search of the most precise load. I don't care much about speed or energy, but I'm interested big time on precision, which is info missing in ammoguide (I think or until I find if it is hidden somewhere).
                                Regards.

Comment

Working...
                                X