• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

Duh! Tried to do a circular reference!
    Last edited by JASmith; 01-07-2016, 02:03 AM.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Sadly, comments about accuracy got lost in the several steps from original post in this forum through to Ammoguide.

New entries that exhibit good accuracy can be noted in the comments section.

Should one of the existing loads show excellent accuracy, PM the owner (usually jasmith) so the comment can be entered.
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• davidj
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

All three shot groups. 19.5 (AA)Shilen Barrel. Targets are 1" squares.
        target#1 100 yards 123gr AMAX 28.4 grains 8208XBR.
        #2 200 yards 123 gr Nosler CC 28.4 grains 8208XBR.
        #3 300 yards 123 gr AMAX 28.4 grains 8208XBR.
        8208 is all I load. I tried CFE223 but it just didn't work for me.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by davidj; 01-07-2016, 06:44 AM.
        Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

• JohnCanMakeIt
          Unwashed
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by jbliii View Post
          Guys - I shoot a customer built (Precision Firearms) AR15 6.5 Grendel (Top) and a customer built (Precision Firearms) 5.56 piston driven AR. Both are incredible shooting experiences but I'm a huge fan of the Grendel. The post provides some really great info on 6.5. I have two loads that work well, 120gr Nosler Spitzer with 29gr's of Varget and 123gr A-MAX and 25.4gr's of Vihtavuori N530.

I hunt mule deer and Antelope in Montana with my AR's and have taken both with both the 5.56 and 6.5 - The 6.5 performs incredibly well out to 800 yards - beyond that the drop is off my scope. I have an very nice Browning A-Bolt 30-06 with the BOSS - have never missed but much prefer hunting with the 6.5 - HUGE HUGE HUGE Grendel fan - can't beat the BC for the 6.5 - am actually looking at AI AXMC 6.5 Creedmore which can really extend the 6.5 effective distance.

Thanks for the posting on 6.5 reloading - I have 8lb's of IMR8208 XBR and plan to try with the A-Max's

JB

where did you get that AR stock with the foot off the bottom? I've been searching forever for one.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JohnCanMakeIt View Post
            where did you get that AR stock with the foot off the bottom? I've been searching forever for one.
            You have to buy them seperately.

Comment

• GeauxTide
              Unwashed
              • May 2015

Regarding differences in feeding reliability between this class of bullet, the hollow-point, and plastic tipped bullets, there have been few, if any reports in the various posts in this forum. Some of us, however, have the same concern about accuracy with the lead-tip bullet in any magazine fed firearm. That is that the tip can get deformed on the way into the chamber. Again, not many reports of this being an issue appear to have surfaced
              Thanks JA. I loaded some up with CFE, so I'll report when things dry out some.

Comment

• SDguy
                Warrior
                • Oct 2015

Clearly the bolt actions in 6.5 Grendel are in the minority

I know there are not exactly a lot of bolt action Grendel's out there yet. Still I'll pose this question. Are there some propellants that may not work so well in an AR type firearm that may excell in a bolt action Gredel?
                Mind you, I'm not talking about higher-pressure loads for a bolt action. Just wondering if there are propellants that perform very well accuracy wise in a A.R. type firearm, that may not cycle the action ideally.

Comment

• glackin88
                  Unwashed
                  • Mar 2016

Ive just read through a bunch of reloading data here and can't seem to find anyone using benchmark powder. So far out of everything I've tested its the best. 26g benchmark, 123 amax and cci400 primers in hornady brass shoots .5-.75 MOA in my gun. you guys should give it a try.
                  6.5 Grendel
                  M&P stripped lower
                  AA billet upper with side charging handle
                  AA bolt carrier and bolt
                  Geissele DMR trigger
                  Sabre defense 20" stainless barrel
                  Magpul PRS stock
                  JP enterprises 15" hand guard
                  Vortex viper 6-20 with Burris P.E.P.R. mounts

Comment

• Drillboss
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2015

+1 on the Benchmark. Not as fast as some, but I've seen my best accuracy with it as well.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

31.2gr CFE
                      123gr AMAX
                      Lapua brass
                      Rem 7 1/2 SRP
                      2.260"
                      17.6" Lilja Barrel
                      SAAMI chamber reamed by AA

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by glackin88 View Post
                        Ive just read through a bunch of reloading data here and can't seem to find anyone using benchmark powder. So far out of everything I've tested its the best. 26g benchmark, 123 amax and cci400 primers in hornady brass shoots .5-.75 MOA in my gun. you guys should give it a try.
                        Benchmark has had some issues in the past. It tends to spike pressures very quickly in the Grendel, so that you go from Good, to Good, to Good, to BOOM. It's a very good powder, but it requires caution.

Comment

• Drillboss
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2015

That's some good information to have, thanks. I've seen similar concerns with 8208 XBR before, but not Benchmark.

As luck would have it, I was working with Hornady data for 123 gr bullets. Their max load is 27.1 gr, versus Hodgdon's max of 27.5 gr.

I found my best 3 shot group at 26.2 gr and groups less than an inch on up to 26.8 gr, all with very similar POI's.

Comment

• SDguy
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2015

Bench Mark in the grendel

Interesting.

1st Load I tried In my CZ 527 Grendel happened to be among my most accurate loads to date. Sorry to say I have fallen prey to seeking a couple hundred FPS in hopes of attaining similar accuracy with the additional velocity.

Thanks for the heads up on what may be a higher risk factor when trying to push the limits of benchmark in the Grendel. NEVER pushed my Benchmark loads to anything close to the ragged edge. And Ill be less likely to consider doing so given the history.

THNX Drill Baits
                            Last edited by SDguy; 03-12-2016, 12:08 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
                              Warrior
                              • May 2014

AR Comp

Side tracking the Benchmark discussion momentarily, after careful consideration I went with AR Comp. I have used Alliant powder for a long time in other cartridges and found them to deliver excellent accuracy , velocity , and lot to lot uniformity. With that being said I looked everything I could find on this powder with 6.5 Grendel as the application. I read about the excellent single digit SD's and went with it. I loaded up from 26.4 - 27.9 grains in .3 gr increments. I have never used a mag primer with extruded powder , ball powder yes.

I took all of this + my chrony to the bottoms and spent the afternoon with my Grendel and a 25-06. All my groups were from a cold barrel. The velocity was where I expected. When I got to 27.0 grains of powder my SD went from low double digits to single digits. I was only shooting 3 shot groups, but recorded an SD of 1 on one of the loads. So from 27.0 to 27.9 all the SD's were single digits. I shot one 3 shot group at .286" at 100 yards. The rest of the groups from 27.0 - 27.9 were between .286" and a touch over 1".

Velocity of my chosen load ended up being 2610 fps. I reshot the 27.6 and 27.9 load the next day and the 27.6 load went 1.19" at 100 yds. It had an SD of 8.42. I believe AR Comp is an excellent powder for the 6.5 Grendel. The 10 shots were fired slow fire, single load , the barrel warmed up pretty well but not scalding. It also had at the end of the session 60 rounds through it. I didn't think about it when I started but I should have cleaned it. No telling how it would have shot had it been clean.

My load consists of :
                              Hornady brass
                              27.6 gr AR Comp
                              CCI 400
                              Sierra 120 gr Pro Hunter.
                              Here are my results.
                              ( tried to insert picture here, its on my profile album)
                              I haven't shot this at 300 yet to bare out my results so it is still pending but very encouraging.
                              I view the 6.5 as more of a very good 300 -350 yd deer hunting round. I realize it is capable of long range feats well in excess of the small size it portrays. Most of my shooting is done either in preparation to shoot an animal or at the actual animal. In this arena I believe it will preform very well.
                              Last edited by Rugerfan.64; 03-12-2016, 01:15 PM. Reason: picture

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                                Administrator
                                • Feb 2011

RF64, great report, but am I missing your barrel length?
                                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                                X