Bloodstained
    • Aug 2015

I should clarify, that's their factory "Match" ammo

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by bow shot View Post
      my JP (18" 1:8) barreled Grendel (Grendelyn, to me...)
      Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: "And you maggots will give your rifle a girl's name!!!"
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• bow shot
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2015

LOL!!! That's what happens when you fall in love. You do stupid things.

Comment

• davidj
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bow shot View Post
          LOL!!! That's what happens when you fall in love. You do stupid things.
          Just remember....you can always change its name.
          Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

• dangerzone2
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2016

I'm just starting to get into reloading and a little confused how you choose what powder. It seems there are a few preferred flavors out there but how do you pick? Thanks!

Comment

• PKT1106
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by dangerzone2 View Post
              I'm just starting to get into reloading and a little confused how you choose what powder. It seems there are a few preferred flavors out there but how do you pick? Thanks!
              Consensus seems to be that CFE223, IMR 8208XBR and ARComp are popular. I saw them get called out the most when I was looking for powder. I got a pound of CFE223 locally and recently picked up a pound of 8208XBR to have. I would say if you can get one of those three to start with, depending on what bullets you want to shoot, you should be OK.

Comment

• JASmith
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by dangerzone2 View Post
                First, choose your bullet.

Then go to the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook or Ammoguide.com and see what loads and powders are available for that bullet.

Powders with significant koad data across the board include TAC, IMR 8208, and CFE 223.

I personally like CFE 223 because it gives decent accuracy for a lot of different bullets, gets good velocities for bullets in the 100-130 gr range, and fills the case nicely for these bullet weights.

CFE will also get your toe in the water with compressed loads. There is a wide variety of opinions on compressed loads.
                shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• dangerzone2
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2016

awesome, thanks guys.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2015

I keep seeing people recommend AR Comp for the 123gr, but I can't find any load data for it. Would someone mind telling me what the max is?

Thanks!

Comment

• 1911man
                      Warrior
                      • May 2015

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
                      I keep seeing people recommend AR Comp for the 123gr, but I can't find any load data for it. Would someone mind telling me what the max is?

Thanks!
                      I am not sure what the max is but I have been as high as 28.5 grains with the 123 AMAX without significant pressure signs. My black hole barrels favorite load is 28.3 grains with the 123 AMAX and now 123 ELD. I would start at 27.0 grains and work your way up to be safe.

Edit. Its also important to note you will start to compress the powder around 27.7 grains. So you will hear a crunch as you load the bullet.

Comment

• ripcord
                        Bloodstained
                        • May 2016

Hey all....FNG here. Just bought two 6.5's...a 24" AR upper and a Howa heavy barrel. I have worked up a trial load of 30.3 grains of BLC(2), 123 grain Hornady AMAX and CCI #41 primer. Loaded to 2.245". Haven't been able to fire these yet as it is raining these days in God's Country here in Central FL and ruining my range time. This load was given to me by a fellow club member that heard I was "Grendelizing"...hope it works as well for me as it does for him. Any thoughts or comments on this load? Especially the BLC(2) powder? (I have a lot of it)

Comment

• CrisAnderson27
                          Bloodstained
                          • Sep 2016

Subscribing to the thread. Just beginning to reload altogether, and I'm ordering the Grendel Reloading Handbooks today. I'll be following along here closely, for sure.

Comment

• cb4017
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2016

So far I've tried loads with CFE223, AR-Comp and 8028. Mostly with 123gr AMAX. It's hard to find something this gun does not like. Virtually everything will shoot at an inch or less at 100 yards if I do my job.

I'm REALLY liking this caliber. Seriously considering selling off my 6x45 and .308 stuff.
                            Cliff
                            USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Nobody is coming. It's up to you.

Comment

• Rickc
                              Warrior
                              • Aug 2016

anybody tried the 123 Matchkings for an accuracy load?

going to try them next weekend with 8208 and CFE

Comment

• Falfreak
                                Unwashed
                                • Dec 2016

Lots of good info. I have only tried ARComp with a 123SST at 2.25" OAL in AA/Lapus brass and I was getting compressed loads (a lot of crunching when seating the bullet) and pressure signs at 26.5 grains. The powder seems too bulky, not dense enough. Any ideas?
                                Last edited by Falfreak; 03-07-2017, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X