• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
    Okay guys, I think it's time we get a little more organized. Most of us seem to focus on what shoots best out of our rifle. That is not what we are after here. I would like as many people as possible to load and shoot the four loads picked as candidates and provide all the data in the spreadsheet provided by Rickoshay.
    I know that is a lot to ask, but I think if we put in a team effort to shoot all four loads and provide the data requested in the spreadsheet posted by Rickoshay we will gain more knowledge about the Grendel in general. That is my goal, to identify one or two loads that any new shooter can start with and be reasonably confident in achieveing good results.
    It may be getting too cold in some parts of the country, but southern states are just comming into the best time of the year to do development. Let's see if we can't have 25 complete sets of data, including comparison to the Hornady 123 A-Max factory load by late spring.
    Bob
    Late spring is coming up fast any more updates to this thread?

Just bought 2lbs of 8208 and was looking for some load data.

My contribution will be soon however, it will be with the 123 SST and the 123 Nosler CC (All out of A-max) using IMR8208XBR powder, Hornady (Many fired Brass) and WSR Primers

Comment

• luvnar
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2013

Ive been working on a load that would shoot out of my 6.5 saod 20" 1:8 LW50 barrel and my sons 19.5 1:9 AA grendel chambered barrel. A couple weeks ago I finally got a really good group with the 6.5 saod using 123 smk, 28.5 8208 xbr, rem 9 1/2 primer, wolf brass trimmed to 1.52, and coal 2.260. Group was 3/4" with a flyer. Four shot was 5/8". That was my best group with the two powders blc2 and xbr over 123 ncc and 123
      1377350448528.jpg 2013-08-22_17-20-14_509.jpg

This sierra outperformed the ncc near max powder charge in my rifle. I dropped the charge to 28.4 and made sure that I trickled it right at 28.4 then set the bullet deeper 2.255 from 2.260. Here are the results.
      20130902_135051.jpg 20130902_123108.jpg
      Even though the grendel chamber didnt shoot it as well it still shot descent with a 10 power scope opposed to the 16 power on the 6.5 saod. The grendel barrel isnt as broken in w/80 rounds through it and has the slower twist.
      1378153551660.jpg1378153403044.jpg
      I also finally found a descent shooting 140 grain Sierra Match King load out of the 6.5 saod. 140 smk, 28.5 blc 2, 2.250, case trimmed to 1.517. Shot a half inch group with a flyer that I know I pulled.
      20130902_140432.jpg
      Last edited by luvnar; 09-02-2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• I can't see any of the attachmnets.

Greg

Comment

• luvnar
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by GLShooter View Post
          I can't see any of the attachmnets.

Greg
          Even when you click them

Comment

• Originally posted by luvnar View Post
            Even when you click them
            Yes. This is what I get:

vBulletin Message

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

I see a pic a tthe bottom and it is OK but no other pics.

Greg

Comment

• luvnar
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by GLShooter View Post
              Yes. This is what I get:

vBulletin Message

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

I see a pic a tthe bottom and it is OK but no other pics.

Greg
              Have another look

Comment

• SCORE!!!!

Greg

Comment

• It's been a while...any conclusions?
                  From what I have seen the Hornady 123gr Amax factory ammo shoots very well. I don't know what it's loaded with, could it be leverevolution?
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-15-2013, 02:32 AM.

Comment

• I'm wondering the same thing. I need to pull a bullet and look at the powder. I know it gives me 2470fps average from my 16", and it gave at least one of the 14.5" Saber barrel builds 2420fps avg.

Comment

• SG4247
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2013

After reading this old thread over several times I decided to try 8208 and the 123 Amax.

Very impressed with 8208 load, works better than factory Hornady Amax in my gun.

Settled at 28.4 gr at. 2595 ave speed. Shot really well in the wind this morning.
                      Attached Files
                      NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• Kikn
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2011

Bump back into relevance

Comment

• Originally posted by SG4247 View Post
                          After reading this old thread over several times I decided to try 8208 and the 123 Amax.

Very impressed with 8208 load, works better than factory Hornady Amax in my gun.

Settled at 28.4 gr at. 2595 ave speed. Shot really well in the wind this morning.
                          What brand barrel and length please.

Comment

• SG4247
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2013

This was from a 22" Broughton 6.5mm 5C Rifling blank, that I chambered in 264 LBC.

Ported to rifle length. Medium throat depth.

So, a little longer than the typical Grendel. With the supposedly "faster" rifling lands.

Hope that makes sense....
                            NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• Kritter
                              Unwashed
                              • Mar 2014

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgAfter load work ups
                              My best groups with IMR XBR 8208 28.5gr 2.245 coal .005 jump lapua brass
                              CFE 223 31.5gr 2.250 coal 0 jump (according to my hornady gauge)
                              Cfe group with lbc hornady brass
                              Both loads with cci 450 primers
                              100yard groups off bipod and rear bag
                              Lilja AR740 20" Grendel chamber
                              Sorry no fps my chrono is broke for the moment

I tried nosler 123 cc also they group we'll but there is always flyers
                              28.2 XBR works well with cci450s in lapua brass (pic group minus flyer)
                              groups c-c
                              Last edited by Kritter; 07-12-2014, 02:38 AM. Reason: pix

Comment

• Love this Posting

Guys - I shoot a customer built (Precision Firearms) AR15 6.5 Grendel (Top) and a customer built (Precision Firearms) 5.56 piston driven AR. Both are incredible shooting experiences but I'm a huge fan of the Grendel. The post provides some really great info on 6.5. I have two loads that work well, 120gr Nosler Spitzer with 29gr's of Varget and 123gr A-MAX and 25.4gr's of Vihtavuori N530.

I hunt mule deer and Antelope in Montana with my AR's and have taken both with both the 5.56 and 6.5 - The 6.5 performs incredibly well out to 800 yards - beyond that the drop is off my scope. I have an very nice Browning A-Bolt 30-06 with the BOSS - have never missed but much prefer hunting with the 6.5 - HUGE HUGE HUGE Grendel fan - can't beat the BC for the 6.5 - am actually looking at AI AXMC 6.5 Creedmore which can really extend the 6.5 effective distance.

Thanks for the posting on 6.5 reloading - I have 8lb's of IMR8208 XBR and plan to try with the A-Max's

JB

Attached Files
                                Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2014, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X