Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just tested the 123gr A-Max, 2.250" COL, with 28.5 grains of IMR8208XBR, Lapua brass, CCI 450 primer...definitely works in my rifle with 18" AA barrel. No signs of excessive pressure either.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2014, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• Lonehill
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
      I don't think it is the process of building the match rifles, in fact I was surprised to see how simply they are put together. no lapping, truing or anything like that, just a high quality barrel, and freefloat tube is all that is required.
      I won a few hundred 69 and 77 Scenars this year. They shoot really well but no better than the 77 SMK's or 75 Hornady BTHP, even at 600 yards. The AMU used the 77 Scenars at 600 in 2010 and 2011 for 600 yards after running into a bad lot of 80 SMKs but then moved to the Berger 73 grain VLD this year. Didn't seem to matter, they posted pretty much the same results. Six of the AMU members made it to the Presidents shoot off but five of them along with the All Guard team were disqualified for refusing to shoot in the shoot off in honor of two first time ever perfect scores shot. So we will never know for sure how the shoot off at 600 would have turned out. As it was a guy from California won shooting Sierra 80 SMKs against the Ty Cooper of the AMU using the 73 Bergers. I suspect that any of the bullets could have won, depending on the skill of the shooter.
      I can't help but wonder if the real reason we get such different results with the 6.5 Grendel, is that we have such a wide variety of barrels. By far the most popular barrel in the national matches is the Wilson 1:7 followed by the Kreiger 1:7.7 and the Douglass 1:8 a far distant third. There are Satern, Pacnor, and Green mountain. But you never see a Shaw or Shilen, at the national matches. And everyone knows not to bring a chrome lined barrel.
      Bob
      This is definitely an interesting read. In all of my barrel research, this is the only negative I've ever read about a Shilen barrel. Also, on other forums I've read that Wilson is not a reliable shooter. I trust your info is valid though. Thanks for the info on 77 SMK, gonna give that one a try in the .223 Wylde

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

Too bad Wilson apparently does not make 6.5 Grendel barrels.

Thanks for the protip that the truing and whatnot is superfluous Stokesrj!

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
          Too bad Wilson apparently does not make 6.5 Grendel barrels.
          While standard Grendel barrels from J&T Distributing might be ER Shaw blanks, seems like their stainless barrels were from Wilson blanks (or used to be). Might be worth an inquiry if someone is interested.

Drifter

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
            Warrior
            • Oct 2012

I just got off the phone with them. While they said they might well have been in past, all of their Grendel barrels are from ER Shaw nowadays. They mentioned some of their stainless tubes in other chamberings are still from there, so that might have caused the confusion.

Either way after a little looking into it, it appears there are no Wilson Grendel barrels made as of now.

Comment

• gjpollman
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2013

Well I need to solicit the fine advice of the Grendel reloading gurus... just loaded up some SSTs in once fired Hornady brass. Trimmed to 1.520 (when I could... a lot was under after sizing at 1.516ish) Loaded with 28.5gr 8208 to 2.250 OAL... well after cleaning the brass today from firing off these loads many of the cases have split and the dreaded belted magnum. The barrel is a Lilja chambered by Mark at PF, with his loads and factory Hornady there are no signs of case damage... Does anyone have any advice on what the culprit might be? Is this load too hot for a couple reloads with Hornady brass? Or is there something I should check into in my reloading process? All the brass was checked in a L.E. Wilson Case gauge prior to loading. Other than brass destruction the SSTs with 28.5gr were all very accurate and have 300 Amax to load up next.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

You are right at the hairy edge with 8208 and a 123(?) grain pill, friend.

Most of the people who've reported their results have said that load is definitely hot. Did you see any pressure signs as you worked up to 28.5, or is 28.5 the only charge you tried? It bears mentioning that any new load should be approached in a series of controlled steps to avoid running into such problems, working up from a lower, safer charge.

Either way, consider that not all rifles will tolerate such a hot load, and yours seems to be one. It could be unlocking early, which would account for the belting and split cases.

Not knowing what your setup looks like limits what advice or analysis can be offered. What length barrel and gas system? Rifle or Carbine buffer/spring? Suppressed or unsuppressed?

By providing this information, I am certain some of the boards reloading whiz kids will be more likely to lead you to the source of the problem.
                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

What NF said...if you look at Hornady's Reloading Manual, you will see they don't list 8208 as a powder to load for 120-123 grain class bullets (although they list it for 129 grain bullets). Try CFE 223 or AA2520...

See http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post49823
                  LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                  Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Nukes
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by jbliii View Post
                    ...am actually looking at AI AXMC 6.5 Creedmore which can really extend the 6.5 effective distance....

May I suggest that you consider the Desert Tech SRS A1? The cost of 1 chassis, 1 bolt/barrel, 1 highend scope, and 1 can will compare in price to your AI plan. but then subsequent barrel/bolt chamberings will be in the $1,300 ball park.

Discover precision and innovation with Desert Tech – Manufacturer of the DT MDR, SRS, HTI, and Trek-22 Chassis. Explore our cutting-edge rifle systems and accessories designed for superior performance. Elevate your shooting experience with Desert Tech's commitment to excellence. Next generation iteration on Bullpup designs, choose Desert Tech for a new era in firearms engineering.

Comment

• Nukes
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2014

Hodgdon's online reloading data pageBallistic Performance of Rifle Bullets, but the allegedly "same" 123 gn SST has G7 BC 0.236 and bearing surface of 0.430".
                      Last edited by Nukes; 01-04-2015, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• gjpollman
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2013

The setup is 20" w/ rifle length gas and a JP silent capture buffer (rifle buffer on a PRS stock) I have dialed down the gas block to the min setting for functioning but I have been looking at changing out the spring to a heavier option and see what that does to slow things down. I do understand 28.5gr is on the limit and I did work up to it, I did loads from 28.5 down to 27.7 and like mentioned in this thread the 28.5 was the most accurate. Other than the belting and a handful splitting there were no pressure signatures on the primers at all which is why I found the case issues odd, I haven't seen that happen to brass without issues on the primers too.

Comment

• 37L1
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2015

Got a load in the new to me Grendel

03/07/15
                          123 Amax
                          27.3 8208 XBR
                          Tula 5.56M primer
                          Hornady Brass
                          COAL 2.255
                          .291 Neck Bushing
                          Velocity: 2500 fps.
                          24" 1/8 twist Liberty/Satern barrel (throat reamed)
                          Temp: 34-47F
                          Humidity: 57%-33%
                          Barometer: 30.47 - 30.44
                          Elevation: 800'+
                          Wind 3 mph from West switching to 9 mph from South

Used virgin brass and the group opened up to .445 next 3 shots, two touching and one outside. Took it out to 200 yards and shot .497. Pretty consistent.

Comment

• mnhntr
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2014

I really like the idea of this but have a request either for a new sticky load development post or to ease the use of this one. Can a format be done so one does not have to read through a lot of talk were we can just compare loads with each other? Some thing similar to this:

Barrel:
                            Chamber:
                            Brass:
                            Primer:
                            Powder:
                            Bullet:
                            OAL:

Comment

• JASmith
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2014

...or you coul use GrendelData.com where there is a consistent format.
                              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• mnhntr
                                Bloodstained
                                • Dec 2014

No thanks I will get it for free elsewhere. if people are too greedy to help others out, that's a shame. I will post my load data when I get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X