X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ultramag Brion
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2014

I managed to go throw two more groups down range just now .

One with 24.4g , and another at 24.6g . They opened back up to an inch plus and started showing pressure signs...faint ejector mark and slight cratering .

It's a bit more windy today , and a front rolled through last night with a bit of rain.

The keyhole is from my 300RUM ,yesterday , testing with 230 Berger Hybrids (Much fail)

MOLON LABE~PERCUSSA RESURGO

America was founded by tough Hell-Raisers that evaded taxes, grew tobacco, smuggled weapons, brewed spirits, and stood against tyranny......And it will take this type of citizen to save her.

Comment

• Blacklab
      Warrior
      • Mar 2012

I like your signature ultra mag
      Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

• Ultramag Brion
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2014

America was founded by tough Hell-Raisers that evaded taxes, grew tobacco, smuggled weapons, brewed spirits, and stood against tyranny......And it will take this type of citizen to save her.

Comment

• lamrith
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Thanks for the Info Ultra!! I just picked up 4# of H4198 and 1# of 8208 this morning, plus my H335 I have for 223..

I will back off a bit and work up toward your 24.1grn with my amax 123's
          Last edited by lamrith; 04-18-2015, 11:16 PM. Reason: reloading clarification
          Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
          18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
          SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
          16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
          Anderson Pistol lower:
          16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
          6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by gjpollman View Post
            The setup is 20" w/ rifle length gas and a JP silent capture buffer (rifle buffer on a PRS stock) I have dialed down the gas block to the min setting for functioning but I have been looking at changing out the spring to a heavier option and see what that does to slow things down. I do understand 28.5gr is on the limit and I did work up to it, I did loads from 28.5 down to 27.7 and like mentioned in this thread the 28.5 was the most accurate. Other than the belting and a handful splitting there were no pressure signatures on the primers at all which is why I found the case issues odd, I haven't seen that happen to brass without issues on the primers too.
            Did you ever find a root cause for your belting cases? I seem to recall others mention unlocking as their issue. Also wondering if you've got the correct bolt for your chamber - .124" vs. .135" bolt face depths...
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

In the spirit in which this thread was started, nearly 3 years ago, I would like to share the results of my first experience with CFE223 in my BHW 22" 264 LBC. While others have posted their CFE223 Grendel loads, I don't recall seeing one for a 264LBC chamber.

Conditions were nearly ideal for running a 200 yard OCW series, with a mild 75'F and a steady 5mph wind at my back. Rifle was on the Harris bipod, with a rear bag for fine adjustments. I had my Vortex PST dialed up to 24x, and could very easily resolve the 1" target stickers without mirage. In other words, I have absolutely no excuses for any of the operator flubs, of which I acknowledge a couple.

Load: 29.4 to 32.1 gr CFE 223, shot in Round Robin fashion.
              Bullet: Hornady 123 gr A-Max, seated @ 2.260" COAL
              Hornady cases with Remington 7 1/2 primers.

Disclaimer: Some of these loads went beyond what some have indicated as their maximum charge weights. As is always the case, you should approach published maximum loads in safe increments, starting at least 10% below them.

To the results:

As seen in the picture below, I found a couple of very promising accuracy nodes - one near 30.0 gr and another near 31.5.

Maddeningly, the group @ 30.0 was a .1 MOA cloverleaf until shot #4, when I pulled it. Similar issues at 31.8 gr. Those pulled shots were all me. As I said, no excuses. Even still, they average out to a respectable .5 MOA.

I assembled the following chart to illustrate the Velocity curve.

What does it mean? Aside from the aberration at 30.0 and 30.3, it shows a reasonable increase in velocity as the charge increases. No weirdness or scary spikes as I approached the max charge.

Lastly, since I was definitely running into compressed territory at 31.5 gr, I thought I would include some pics of the cases. What I would like to point out is how there are few, if any, visible indications of high pressures, flattened primers or bulging cases. Velocity curve seemed reasonable, as well.

Temperature stability is the main concern I have. Once the temperatures get into the 90's, I'll check the upper charge ranges again (won't take long, around here).
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Blacklab
                Warrior
                • Mar 2012

Great read NugginFutz.
                Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

• davidj
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Good info....thanks Dave.
                  Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

• davidj
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 37L1 View Post

03/07/15
                    123 Amax
                    27.3 8208 XBR
                    Tula 5.56M primer
                    Hornady Brass
                    COAL 2.255
                    .291 Neck Bushing
                    Velocity: 2500 fps.
                    24" 1/8 twist Liberty/Satern barrel (throat reamed)
                    Temp: 34-47F
                    Humidity: 57%-33%
                    Barometer: 30.47 - 30.44
                    Elevation: 800'+
                    Wind 3 mph from West switching to 9 mph from South

Used virgin brass and the group opened up to .445 next 3 shots, two touching and one outside. Took it out to 200 yards and shot .497. Pretty consistent.

What is the web address for this measuring tool?
                    Thanks!
                    Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

• 37L1
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by davidj View Post
                      What is the web address for this measuring tool?
                      Thanks!
                      Here ya go:

the free download is near the bottom of the page.

Comment

• davidj
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

Thank you. I had this on my computer and it just disappeared.

Comment

• Ultramag Brion
                          Unwashed
                          • Jul 2014

Here ya go:

Nice . . . . I'll have to try it out. Thanks

Comment

• Joseph5
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2012

NugginFutz,
                            My velocities with CFE and 123gr SST's were almost identical to yours out of a 22inch Lilja barrel. So was my accuracy.

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

Here ya go:

I found it was worth the $75 to spring for the full version if you want to get a little more anal, er detailed about the analysis. Jeff Block of OnTarget is a nice guy and helpful and the program makes accurate group measuring and comparing various group centerpoints relative to the POA (something important to do in OCW development) much easier.
                              My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• 208Grendel
                                Unwashed
                                • May 2015

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                                In the spirit in which this thread was started, nearly 3 years ago, I would like to share the results of my first experience with CFE223 in my BHW 22" 264 LBC. While others have posted their CFE223 Grendel loads, I don't recall seeing one for a 264LBC chamber.
                                I also have this exact barrel, a 22" BHW 1:8 .264 LBC, in a semi-bull contour however. I am interested to compare my results with yours. I have only just started working up loads for mine, but I will update as time allows.

Comment

Working...
                                X