• Rugerfan.64
    Warrior
    • May 2014

Sorry, 24" Brownells.

Comment

• Vsaluki
      Unwashed
      • Feb 2016

Second time out with my Grendel, and first time shooting my own load. Shooting at 100yds.

First shot was a flyer, then the next four grouped at .987.

Second five shot group was .966

Third five shot group was .834

Then done for the day. I'm shooting the Odin Works 20" with the Odin Works BCG. They guaranteed under 1 Mao, so I guess I can't get my money back. My Gredel has a lower parts kit trigger that is rough, heavy, and creeps forever. Polishing the sear surfaces didn't seem to help much. Have already ordered a Hiperfire 24C trigger as a replacement, so we'll see if the groups get any better.

Load data.
      Hornady AMax 123 gr.
      IMR 8208 XBR, 27 gr.
      Hornady brass
      CCI 450 primers
      OAL 2.27 - this was about the max length that I could fit in my E-Lander mags.

The factory Hornady 123 Amax that I used as a source of brass for these loads were shooting closer to 2 Moa. Also, most of my spread is in the vertical. Horizontal spread is closer to a half Moa.

Comment

• richj
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2014

Forgot the chrono this weekend, loaded 120 sierra hpbtmk , 25,26,27gr of AR-comp.
        26gr were the best groups out of the 24" Hart, mini mauser.

no pressure at 27 so there is room.

Comment

• Matchgrade65
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2015

Hi guys, I want to load up some Berger 130gr AR Hybrids in Lapua brass with Rem Gold Match small rifle primers using either: AR-Comp, N540, H335, Varget, N140... (My stash).

Does anyone have load start/limit for me? Thanks, and sorry if this exists already, I did many searches over the last weeks.
          JP

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
            Warrior
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Matchgrade65 View Post
            Hi guys, I want to load up some Berger 130gr AR Hybrids in Lapua brass with Rem Gold Match small rifle primers using either: AR-Comp, N540, H335, Varget, N140... (My stash).

Does anyone have load start/limit for me? Thanks, and sorry if this exists already, I did many searches over the last weeks.
            JP
            i run CFE 223 28.6gr loaded to 2.66 for .4moa when i do my part

Comment

• Matchgrade65
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2015

Thanks Moto, I finally sprung for a jug of CFE223, it is incoming now. I called Berger and got this over the phone:
              Varget - 22gr to 24.8gr@2330MV
              BLC2 - 23.5gr to 26.3gr@2400MV
              W748 - 23gr to 25.5gr@2420MV

Do you know your MV with CFE223?
              Thanks, JP

Comment

• bob4432
                Warrior
                • May 2016

I was wondering, 25 pages later, has there been 3 - 4 loads that seem to work well in a good variety of barrels?

Comment

• m796rider
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by motoxxx_ryder View Post
                  i run CFE 223 28.6gr loaded to 2.66 for .4moa when i do my part
                  So your COAL is 2.66"...? I take it you're using a bolt gun?

Comment

• outlaw45
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2012

Finally got around to finishing my load work up. As already suggested, found two loads that work really well with my gun. Lija 20" rifle gas length, 100 yards from a bench, C.O.L. 2.250", CCI450 primers.

123 Amax, 28.5gr 8208 xbr averages 2485 fps out of 15 shots. My 2nd and 3rd 5 round groups were pretty good. The group on the top would have been a 3/10ths group but I pulled the last shot. My nerves got to me when I knew it was looking good.

123 Amax , 31.0gr CFE223 averages 2485 fps out of 5 shots. Roughly a 1/2" group.

Last edited by outlaw45; 06-11-2016, 02:20 AM.

Comment

• HONDO
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2015

Bump for a great thread... I have 123gr sst's, 123gr scenar's, 130gr Berger HVLD and ordered 123 A-Max and 120 smk. I have 8082xbr and bl-c(2). The local GS has cfe 223 so I'll try and throw that in the mix as well. It's going to be a few weeks (or more) before I can assemble and test it, but will post my results per the scope of work. I'll include the other info for grins.
                      Galatians 2:20-21

Comment

• Grendelseeker
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jul 2016

The groups you guys show are as good as what I can normally shoot with my bolt actions. Impressive ('for autoloaderS') I can sometimes do it with my BAR in 270win which has a very spongy trigger. I usually attribute a .5 moa "flier" from a cloverleaf group as being me. I often think "I must be more variable than the machine." You guys are showing that autoloaders can be quite accurate.
                        Last edited by Grendelseeker; 09-27-2016, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• david7992
                          Unwashed
                          • Nov 2016

I am new to the forum and hoping im not jumping in out of turn. I have some reloading questions. I have just recently started reloading the 6.5 and the 260 Remington. I have been using Varget for both. I have loaded the Grendel with 120 AMAX up to the 129gn. I just got a box of the 130gn ELD. Any opinions on a different powder for better performance? Also I have some 120 and 140gn Nosler that I had planned for the 260. Can or should I try the 140's in the Grendel? I just want some good target and hunting options. I currently have the Grendel in a AR platform and the Howa Mini Action. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Varget powder is not optimum for the 6.5 Grendel because you can't get enough powder into the case to get decent velocity. The top performing powders with 123 grain to 139 grain powders seem to be CFE223, Levrevolution, AR Comp, Accurate 2520. IMR 8208XBR works for 123 grain or lighter bullets but I haven't seen many members use it with 139-140 grain bullets.

You can load cup and core 140 grain 264/6.5 bullets in the 6.5 Grendel but the long length take up a lot of space so it limits the amount of powder you can get in the case. You normally can't get enough velocity with a typical 140 grain bullet. The newer designed 139 grain Nosler Accubond Long Range (ABLR) or Berger VLD seem to be made different enough to still work in the 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• 454bore
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

A load with the 100 grain Amax that is shooting half inch in my rifle is 29.7 grains XBR8208 and Fed match primers.
                              I'm starting to like the 100 grain bullets with this load.
                              Shoots well in 65Grendel and 264LBC.

Comment

• bow shot
                                Bloodstained
                                • Aug 2015

Well, I've been off the forum for a while (had to go back to school) and I'm realizing how late I am on here, but I can at least contribute this: The 123gn Hornady AMax does fantastic in my JP (22" 1:8) barreled Grendel (Grendelyn, to me...). I expect 0.5" with this, and have shot several 0.3" (5 shot) groups with these rounds (no wind and good form days of course, lol!). I've matched that with the same bullet over 26.5gn Benchmark, Fed match primers, and my ability to shoot well enough to tell which round is better (or if there is a better load) just aint there.

FWIW, the handloads are using neck-turned, junky hornady brass, shoulder bumped and then neck sized.

Here are the 1st 3 shots I sent when I barreled up:
                                Last edited by bow shot; 01-16-2017, 04:58 PM. Reason: Barrel length correction

Comment

Working...
                                X