X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClutchAutomatic
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

New here thought i'd share my reloading experience for the first trial.
    Brownells 24" Satern Barrel
    Silencerco Omega
    Hornady Custom Grade Dies
    Hornady Black once fired brass
    Hornady ELD-M 123GR
    Winchester WSR Primer
    IMR 8208 XBR 27.6gr
    2.245"
    1/2 moa @ 100y

Comment

• beastep
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
      Whoa, that is just about the shortest chamber I have heard of in the time I have been on these boards.
      The 120 ELDM had to be seated even shorter. Im running into pressure signs way early using the 123 and CFE. Im on the hunt now for a different powder that may help.

Comment

• Crusty
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

AR-Comp 123gr ELD-M

Just got back from shooting an OCW spread with my new rifle and I believe I've found an AR-Comp load for it which will deliver good accuracy without over pressure signs (primer flattening comparable to Hornady Black factory ammo).

The hBN bullet coating appears to have worked in that I didn't have a single flier in a 50rd OCW spread, and the original accuracy node at 26.8gr was found again at the expected 2% powder increase after coating the bullets.

AR-Comp 27.2gr
        HDY ELD-M 123gr (hBN coated)
        CCI #450
        COL 2.260" (ogive 1.688")

2448 fps avg, 11 ES, 5.4 SD
        Group size .81" avg
        Attached Files
        I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• ricsmall
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by beastep View Post
          The 120 ELDM had to be seated even shorter. Im running into pressure signs way early using the 123 and CFE. Im on the hunt now for a different powder that may help.
          You need to find someone to stick a reamer in there and get your throat where it’s supposed to be. Any gunsmith in your area can do this in a matter of minutes.
          Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• beastep
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
            You need to find someone to stick a reamer in there and get your throat where it’s supposed to be. Any gunsmith in your area can do this in a matter of minutes.
            I agree. But my area is fresh out of competent gunsmiths or ones that you can actually get to do something. I shot a few 123 ELDM yesterday and had slight pressure signs at 26.0 of AR Comp and bad at 26.3 which shouldnt be anywhere near max but it is in my gun loaded at such a short OAL. Im just going to keep trying to find a load it likes unless I happen across a guy with a reamer that will actually ream it.

Comment

• fdbyrne78
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2017

Can anyone recommend a hand reamer? The more specific recommendation the better. I have this same problem to what sounds like the same degree. I've done a lot of research and just can't find exactly what I need to lengthen only the throat in my SAAMI-spec chamber. The barrel is a stainless cut-rifled Satern barrel but they've been no help at all in making things right.

Hell, I'd even loan it out to the community if I had one like I do with my specialty Toyota tools in the Toyota forums.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by fdbyrne78 View Post
                Can anyone recommend a hand reamer? The more specific recommendation the better. I have this same problem to what sounds like the same degree. I've done a lot of research and just can't find exactly what I need to lengthen only the throat in my SAAMI-spec chamber. The barrel is a stainless cut-rifled Satern barrel but they've been no help at all in making things right.

Hell, I'd even loan it out to the community if I had one like I do with my specialty Toyota tools in the Toyota forums.

I would recommend you contact Dave Manson for a 6.5 Grendel SAAMI Spec finish reamer. Please do not use PTG! Dave Manson reamers have a very good reputation in regards to the 6.5 Grendel.

Here is a link to Dave’s catalog. If your serious you could buy the finish reamer and required tools then rent the reamer to other forum members in need. You could put a sticky in the buy trade section for the 6.5 Grendel forum for renting your finish reamer and maybe go no go gauges.

CONTACT US
                david@mansonreamers.com 1-810-953-0732 (tel) 1-810-953-0735 (fax) 8200 Embury Road Grand Blanc, MI 48439 Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30 pm Eastern

Comment

• fdbyrne78
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2017

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

• 1911man
                    Warrior
                    • May 2015

I agree. But my area is fresh out of competent gunsmiths or ones that you can actually get to do something. I shot a few 123 ELDM yesterday and had slight pressure signs at 26.0 of AR Comp and bad at 26.3 which shouldnt be anywhere near max but it is in my gun loaded at such a short OAL. Im just going to keep trying to find a load it likes unless I happen across a guy with a reamer that will actually ream it.
                    Is it not possible to send it back to the barrel maker?

Comment

• fdbyrne78
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2017

You would think so, but apparently not.

When I told them that I couldn't load to anywhere near SAAMI spec she told me 'we don't cover anything related to reloading.' When I went on to say that even factory ammo jammed way into the lands she said she'd have Steve call me. He never did.

Comment

• FW Conch
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2014

We should NEVER admit to a manufacturer that we are reloading :-((

Edit: of course, factory spec SAMMI ammo should chamber.
                        Last edited by FW Conch; 02-12-2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• beastep
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
                          Is it not possible to send it back to the barrel maker?
                          It might be if I could ever get them to call me back.

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

It might be if I could ever get them to call me back.
                            You might be a candidate for the Sierra 107 TMK. No one else can't get them loaded long enough. Too much jump to their lands.
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• beastep
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                              You might be a candidate for the Sierra 107 TMK. No one else can't get them loaded long enough. Too much jump to their lands.
                              I have seriously considered it. I had that discussion with a friend of mine that has a Saturn barrel with a short throat also. Im real close to getting a load figured out with 123 ELDM and after I have it down I may tinker with the TMK a bit off and on. I just dont know how they will do on pigs and deer.

Comment

• Crusty
                                Warrior
                                • Dec 2017

Hmm...
                                I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

Working...
                                X