X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crusty
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

I'm working on 130 RDFs with AR-Comp and am making some headway. The bullet is so long that it has to be seated quite deep just to fit in a mag, which means compressed charges and so far I'm ruining about 30% of my cases (old, many times fired Hornadys) due to shoulder collapse, but I think I've worked out a different seating procedure to reduce that failure rate. They're already shooting sub MOA for me, and with attention to uniform neck tension and uniform seating depth I'm hoping to get my SD into single digits, though I've still got a ways to go and I'll find out today how well my latest changes have worked.

I really want to make these bullets work because they shoot so well and have the potential to accurately get way out there. Once I've figured out the best combo, I'll prep and load some brand new brass with it.
    I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Hey, Crusty, be interested in seeing what you come up with. 130 RDF is a beautiful bullet.
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Crusty
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

It really is but because it's so long it's tough to load consistently. Uniform neck tension is the hurdle I'm trying to get over now and on the next pass I may have that handled. Maybe AR-Comp isn't the right powder for these bullets because at an OCW node (26.7gr in my rifle) I have to firmly compress the charge and that interferes with seating the bullets to a uniform depth, but I believe I have some procedural changes to control that. Since I've got a new jug of AR-Comp I'm pretty much committed.

In today's session I had a number of 1-2 MOA groups , but there were two groups that were cloverleafs and I attribute the difference to neck tension and bullet seating consistency (SDs were not that good on most groups). I ran a span of seating depths and 1.613" (base to ogive) delivered the tightest groups, and in my rifle that puts the ogive .130" off the lands. Any longer and the rounds won't fit into the mag.

I had one round that lost the neck right at the top of the shoulder and after much searching and a bunch of guys looking into my chamber for themselves and not finding it, we decided that the neck must have gone downrange. It was such a clean and uniform break that I suspect that I cut too deep into the shoulder when I turned that neck, and it may have been the case that I used to set up my turning head.
        I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

Crusty - I have been trying the RDFs loaded long for a Howa (2.32 COAL). Have not gotten to grouping yet, just looking at velocity nodes.

What are you getting for speed. I have been warned off CFE for temp sensitivity reasons, and am looking for a different powder. Leverlution and 8208 were recommended, but I have a FPS minimum of 2450 to reach and 8208 seems to run a little slow at 100% on Noslers site. I was in the mid 2500s with no bolt lift issues on CFE and a couple nice nodes.

When you do find something, please update the Nosler 130 RDF Thread.
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Bearcatrp
            Warrior
            • Apr 2018

Is anyone loading for short barrels. Looking for tips. Have a 12.5 inch coming shortly. Have 8208 that I use for my 12.5 308 that works fairly well with 168 grain A-Max. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

• Armadillo66
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2017

Is the 127gr Barnes LRX too long? I was thinking about trying some loaded longer than mag length for some single shot, first round out hunting loads.
              I was particularly curious about using the 127 Barnes and Lever revolution or the 8208.

Comment

• PRL4314
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2018

Can anyone help me out with a ballistic table? I don't have a chronograph, but I'll give you everything on my rifle/load:
                AA 24" Overwatch barrel
                123 gr. Lapua Scenar bullet
                Norma Brass
                CCI 4BR primer
                28.5 gr. 8208 XBR
                I hope someone here can point me in the right direction, first time posting, since joined. Just zeroed at 200y, using a Leopold Mark AR 6x18 mil. dot scope.

Comment

• Drillboss
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2015

Muzzle velocity is really helpful for ballistics data.

If you have a good 200 yd zero, you could check rise/drop at 100 and 300 yds and then toy with the ballistic calculators to close in on your actual data.

Comment

• ErikS
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

100gr Nosler BTips, 28gr AR Comp, CCI 450

Very light load.
                    #shareyourspare

Comment

• JASmith
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
                      Muzzle velocity is really helpful for ballistics data.

If you have a good 200 yd zero, you could check rise/drop at 100 and 300 yds and then toy with the ballistic calculators to close in on your actual data.
                      Last edited by JASmith; 04-23-2018, 10:33 PM.
                      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• GMZ
                        Bloodstained
                        • Apr 2018

I had better groups with "Load #8" below with 3 shots inside a 1" square with the 2 remaining touching off to the left (poor technique) but I think I will give myself a bigger safety margin and work with 28.2.

Barrel: 16" BA Hanson w/Sandman-S
                        Temp: 80*
                        Elevation: S/L

Load #5
                        Case: HDY 1x fired
                        Primer: CCI 450
                        Powder: XBR8208 28.2
                        Bullet: 123 ELD-M
                        COAL: 2.265

1. 2452
                        2. 2453
                        3. 2439
                        4. 2446
                        5. 2430

AVG: 2444
                        SD: 9.5
                        Pressure signs: light ejector swipe

Load #8
                        Case: HDY 1x fired
                        Powder: XBR8208 28.4

1. 2490
                        2. 2461
                        3. 2453
                        4. 2463
                        5. 2465

AVG: 2466
                        SD: 13.9
                        Pressure signs: ejector swipe

Comment

• GMZ
                          Bloodstained
                          • Apr 2018

Re-shot both "Load #5" and "Load #8", the 28.4 seemed a bit more accurate but I realized by then that my rate of fire was having a negative effect on group sizes along with me jerking the last couple of shots.

My 28.2 load was very consistent and I think I will do a little more case prep ie chamfer, de-burr etc.

Temp: 75*
                          Elevation: S/L

Load #5
                          Case: HDY 2x fired
                          Powder: XBR8208 28.2

1. 2429
                          2. 2433
                          3. 2434
                          4. 2433
                          5. 2435

AVG: 2432
                          SD: 2.4
                          Pressure signs: light ejector swipe

Load #8
                          Case: HDY 2x fired
                          Powder: XBR8208 28.4

1. 2462
                          2. 2457
                          3. 2460
                          4. 2463
                          5. 2441

AVG: 2456
                          SD: 9.0
                          Pressure signs: ejector swipe

XBR ELD.png

Comment

• Blakeh1
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2018

Last edited by Blakeh1; 05-09-2018, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Blakeh1
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Sticks
                              Everything but barrel make/model and length.
                              Sorry about that, edited it

Comment

• Grandpa
                                Unwashed
                                • May 2018

I finally got my 6.5 under 1" today in fact it is right at 1/2" its a 18" BCA barrel, bullets are seated at 2.270 with 28.7 gr of 8208 123 gr Hornady SST CCI 41 primers and Hornady brass. Every thing up to this load was 1 1/2" or larger. There does not appear to be any excess pressure as I have compared the fired rounds with factory cases and both measure the same as well as appear the same. I have a couple questions I see many of ya'll use CCI 450 primers where I use CCI 41s do you ever have doubles? I have a POF trigger in my AR and have experienced doubles with Remington 7 1/2s and Winchester SR primers. Since I switched to the 41s I have not had a double. I had the same problem in my AR 10 also till I went to the 34s by the way that's a hoot running 5, 308's out in a burst. Sure gets every ones attention on the line.
                                My next step will be to load 10 cases with this load to see if I have any stretching issues or primer pocket issues. I'm a little concerned as this load is a bit over the 28.5 most are using.

Comment

Working...
                                X