X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FW Conch
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

Since I could not find any cci450 primers, but did acquire some cci41's, I to am curious how the two compare? I am under the impression the 41's are a "military spec" of the 450's ??

Comment

• 1Shot
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

I don't know what your problem may be with slam fire "double fire" but I have run CCI 400, 450, BR-4, Rem 7 1/2, Winchester silver color, have heard that the new brass color primers have had slam fire issues, Wolf SRM in 4 different ARs that have 3.5 lb POF triggers and another one that has a CMC 2.5 lb trigger with no problems. Is your trigger the problem or is it the free float firing pin. If it is the trigger releasing you need to fix that. A long long time ago when I first started loading for my M1 Garand I learned not to use Federal 210M primers because I got slam fire. I know what it feels like to shoot a BAR with a 2 and 3 round burst. Never had a problem with any other make primers in it either.

Comment

• JimmyAGR
        Unwashed
        • May 2018

Hello All,

I am new here, been reading a lot. I picked up my first Grendal AR on Saturday. It has an Odin Works 18" barrel and matching bolt. I had 3 types of ammo when I went to sight in my scope. I started with Hornady Black 123, then Federal Barnes 130. The rifle shot like crap, 1.5 MOA at best. I thought I had a lemon. The last ammo I used was Hornady 123 SST, this ammo was solid .5 MOA. Anyone else have experience like this? I unfortunately had purchased 500 rounds of the black... I plan on reloading for this when I have brass so my question is does anyone have a load that mimics the SST load as a starting point for me? I will keep trying the black as I can't return it, maybe it will get better .

Thanks,
        Jimmy

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I have seen inconsistent accuracy on a new barrel. Some barrels improve with use, I wouldn’t give up on the Hornady 123 grain ELD-M Black just yet.

Comment

• JimmyAGR
            Unwashed
            • May 2018

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            I have seen inconsistent accuracy on a new barrel. Some barrels improve with use, I wouldn’t give up on the Hornady 123 grain ELD-M Black just yet.
            Yeah that is what I am hoping. It only has 60 rounds on it. The groups seemed to tighten up at distance, so maybe it will break in.

Comment

• kpswihart
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

I have an 18" Odin that was purchased with a matching bolt as well, and I see similar results. My rifle prefers the SST's over the ELD-M's. Can't explain why, but after a couple of boxes of the ELD-M's, I gave the remaining few away to a bud with a Howa Mini.

Comment

• JimmyAGR
                Unwashed
                • May 2018

Originally posted by kpswihart View Post
                I have an 18" Odin that was purchased with a matching bolt as well, and I see similar results. My rifle prefers the SST's over the ELD-M's. Can't explain why, but after a couple of boxes of the ELD-M's, I gave the remaining few away to a bud with a Howa Mini.
                Good to know. Wish I would have known that before I bought 500 of the ELDs, LOL. Do you have a load worked up with the SST's?

Comment

• 1Shot
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

I have an 18" Oden barrel and the only factory ammo I have shot is 123 SST and it would average between 1 1/2 to 1 3/4" five shots at 100 yards. With certain handloads it shoots 1/2 MOA. It really likes 120 Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady case, CCI 450, 28.5 IMR 8208 COAL 2.250 with a medium Lee Factory Crimp. It runs average 2540 fps. I have only had this rifle a little over 3 months and have not had the weather or time to try all the loads I want to try.

Comment

• kpswihart
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by JimmyAGR View Post
                    Good to know. Wish I would have known that before I bought 500 of the ELDs, LOL. Do you have a load worked up with the SST's?
                    31 Grains of CFE, with CCI 450's at a COAL of 2.250 gave me an average of 2459 fps. Factory ammo averaged 2460 when measured. These loads, like factory, shoot under MOA when I do my part.

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

This is not the norm. If you do a general search here on the SST, you will find more often than not, people can not get them to group under an inch, whereas the ELD Black ammo is the goto for accuracy.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• JimmyAGR
                        Unwashed
                        • May 2018

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
                        I have an 18" Oden barrel and the only factory ammo I have shot is 123 SST and it would average between 1 1/2 to 1 3/4" five shots at 100 yards. With certain handloads it shoots 1/2 MOA. It really likes 120 Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady case, CCI 450, 28.5 IMR 8208 COAL 2.250 with a medium Lee Factory Crimp. It runs average 2540 fps. I have only had this rifle a little over 3 months and have not had the weather or time to try all the loads I want to try.

31 Grains of CFE, with CCI 450's at a COAL of 2.250 gave me an average of 2459 fps. Factory ammo averaged 2460 when measured. These loads, like factory, shoot under MOA when I do my part.
                        Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                        This is not the norm. If you do a general search here on the SST, you will find more often than not, people can not get them to group under an inch, whereas the ELD Black ammo is the goto for accuracy.
                        I had heard good things about the Black ammo, that is why I bought 500 even before the gun was assembled. I was just glad I picked up a couple of different boxes at the gun store before heading to the range, I would have thought there was something wrong with the rifle. Does anyone make factory loads with Sierra's on top? I would hate to buy bullets too that don't shoot in this rifle.

Oh and if anyone in the Jacksonville area would like a good deal on some Black ammo let me know .
                        Last edited by JimmyAGR; 06-06-2018, 11:34 PM. Reason: Found Sierra

Comment

• JimmyAGR
                          Unwashed
                          • May 2018

Found that American Eagle makes a 120 Sierra topper, will pick up a box or 2 to try.

Comment

• 1Shot
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2018

The American Eagle ammo has 120 Sierra MATCH KING not Pro Hunter bullets. I don't know of anyone who factory loads the 120 Pro Hunter. Good luck even finding 120 Pro Hunter bullets right now, seems everyone list them as OUT OF STOCK. Sierra must be just running Match King bullets right now because you can find them most any place but their Pro Hunter and Game King bullets have dried up. A few months ago I got a box of 130 Sierra Game Kings and did a preliminary powder work up with LVR in my BCA barrel rifle and found what I believe is going to be a good load. The load put five in just under 1 1/2" but was a good round shaped group. I had them loaded 10 thousands off the lands so I have some more loaded with that powder charge but 20 thousands off the lands to see if it tightens up. I was running low on the bullets and tried to find more and every place was OUT OF STOCK with many saying no back order. Yesterday I went into a gun shop in the town next to mine and BINGO they had two boxes. Notice I said they HAD two boxes. They came home with me. Now to get time to go to the range.
                            Last edited by 1Shot; 06-07-2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• JimmyAGR
                              Unwashed
                              • May 2018

I had heard good things about the Black ammo, that is why I bought 500 even before the gun was assembled. I was just glad I picked up a couple of different boxes at the gun store before heading to the range, I would have thought there was something wrong with the rifle. Does anyone make factory loads with Sierra's on top? I would hate to buy bullets too that don't shoot in this rifle.

Oh and if anyone in the Jacksonville area would like a good deal on some Black ammo let me know .
                              So went back out today with more Black and SSTs. Totally disappointed. Both shot 1.5 - 2 MOA. I will bring my rifle to my gunsmith next weekend and have him check everything out . I had two other people try and their results were consistent with mine. It's not even like there is a flier, just a round circle group, none touching. Maybe I just got a bad barrel.

Comment

• Second
                                Warrior
                                • Oct 2017

So.
                                This is my load:

Rifle (have a build thread also here at the forum):
                                Rem 700
                                Jury SS barrel with 1:7,5 Twist in 20.8" length

Load:
                                Lapua brass
                                CCI400 primers
                                108gr Lapua Scenar bullet
                                26,8gr of VV N133 powder
                                Avg. speed: 2605 fps (794 mps)
                                SD:2 (mps)
                                ES:6 (mps)
                                Distance: 100-110 yards

IMG_1767.JPG
                                Last edited by Second; 06-14-2018, 06:33 PM. Reason: Adding info

Comment

Working...
                                X