X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Longtubeman
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

out shooting, got some new load data. was shot with ar, 24'' barrel,cci450 primers,,and all with cfe223. 95 gr vmax, 35 gr, 2956 fps, .365 group. 127lrx barnes, 32gr,2624 fps, .491 group. 95 vmax were at col of 2.5 and 127 lrx were at col of 2.3. all shot at 100 yards, at 70 degrees.

Comment

• JakillO'neill
      Unwashed
      • May 2019

Starline brass. Cci 41 primer. 120gn SMK. 28.5 gn Power Pro Varmint

Comment

• Lemonaid
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by JakillO'neill View Post
        Starline brass. Cci 41 primer. 120gn SMK. 28.5 gn Power Pro Varmint
        Jakill, I am going to load the 120 SMK and Power pro varmint with Hornady brass and cci 450 and more details about how your load preformed would be of great help. Accuracy? Velocity? pressure signs? cartridge overall length? firearm and barrel length?
        Any indications that there is any thing to worry about with temperature sensitivity or weirdness?
        Thanks!

Comment

• roor
          Warrior
          • Jan 2018

This is shot out of a Howa MA:
          Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

A total of 10 rounds shot. 5 out of a cold bore and 5 out of a hot bore. Even though velocity increased SD remained (barely) in the single digits

Recipe:
          Lapua brass
          Lapua 123 scenar
          26.6gr of N135
          CCI 450 primer
          CBTO 1.770
          COAL 2.310

Comment

• FLshooter
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

After having broken in my Grendel barrel w/200 rds factory loaded ammo,I started working up hand loads.I tried the powders that I use for .223,which I have several lbs of each.CFE223,ARCOMP, & H335.
            H335 has give me the best accuracy and has been most consistent.I like 123g Hornady ELD match bullets.They work well and can be found in 500 rds packs for under $150 delivered.
            But,I have had the best success w/123g Sierra MK bullets.Starting with 26.5g H335 and working up,I got consistent moa and sub moa groups out of both of my cheapo BCA 24” barrels.
            123g Sierra MK aren’t cheap.Around $190 for 500 bullets.But,for me,Sierra MK have always been my favorite bullet.If my barrel can’t shoot at least MOA w/Matchkings,it’s time to rebarrel!

Comment

• jbmarshtx
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2017

I have about 200 rounds through my bolt action, mostly hand loads. Chrono'd 2 loads today via magnetospeed. I shoot high power metallic silhouette.

Rifle Specs:
              - remington 700 bolt acction
              - 26 inch 1-8 barrel
              - SAAMI chamber

Lapua Scenar 108 grain
              Lapua new brass
              CCI 450 primer
              2.28 OAL
              27.4 grains Varget not compressed if I shake the cases
              2451 fps (SD <20 new brass)
              I shoot this load at 200m (zero), 300m (+3.5 moa), and 375m (+6 moa). The primers look fine here, and the speed is fine for what I need.

130 grain Berger AR Hybrid
              Lapua 1x fired brass
              CCI 450 primer
              2.3 OAL
              30.2 grains Leverevolution
              2517 fps (SD 7.5, 0.289 bushing)
              I shoot this load at 500m, there was no heavy bolt lift, primers look fine. Temp was about 85 today, maybe higher.
              Last edited by jbmarshtx; 07-15-2019, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• Mac86951
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2019

I wonder if at this point we don't have enough data to start plotting charts. I'll start working on a summary chart if noone else has one

Comment

• Liberty65
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2019

I have a Satern Liberty 20" straight fluted stainless steel barrel with their available headspaced bolt. I'm using 123 SSTs with 28.0 grains of IMR 8208XBR, both Hornady and Federal brass, Federal Match AR primers and a COAL of 2.266". The average velocity is 2545 fps and I can get 0.5 MOA if I do my part.

Comment

• DIESEL MIKE
                    Unwashed
                    • Nov 2019

First of all I would like to say thank you for some of the data here. I am brand new to the 6.5 grendel. After reading and research I decided to try my luck and bought a Palmetto State Armory upper in 6.5 grendel. 12" barrel in a pistol configuration. I put in on one of my existing pistols which is configured as such. Spikes lower, Giesslie two stage trigger and shockwave pistol brace. Loaded new hornady brass with 7 1/2 remington match primers with 30.9gr of Cfe and 123 SST bullets. Wow! Out of the box was just over 1moa and after just 10 shots was grouping around .750 with 4 shot groups. Dont have a chrono so I cant give velocity but I am very impressed with this round. Now to find out how it does on whitetails this weekend.

Comment

• DIESEL MIKE
                      Unwashed
                      • Nov 2019

First of all I would like to say thank you for some of the data here. I am brand new to the 6.5 grendel. After reading and research I decided to try my luck and bought a Palmetto State Armory upper in 6.5 grendel. 12" barrel in a pistol configuration. I put in on one of my existing pistols which is configured as such. Spikes lower, Giesslie two stage trigger and shockwave pistol brace. Loaded new hornady brass with 7 1/2 remington match primers with 30.9gr of Cfe and 123 SST bullets. Wow! Out of the box was just over 1moa and after just 10 shots was grouping around .750 with 4 shot groups. Dont have a chrono so I cant give velocity but I am very impressed with this round. Now to find out how it does on whitetails this weekend.

Comment

• DIESEL MIKE
                        Unwashed
                        • Nov 2019

Forgot COL was 2.255" and was about 40 degrees with about a 5mph side wind

Comment

• Old Bob
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2019

Anxious to get started reloading again. I've been laid-up a bit the last two years. Started collecting components for my Grendel; bullets & powder mostly. I already have beaucoup primers of different brands (CCI, Federal & WSR) & some once fired brass from 123 SST Hornady ammo. Might get some unfired brass also. I want to stay within the 120 to 130 grain range of bullets suitable for hunting big hogs so no BTHP, ELD Match, LDF or SMK bullets. I wish Hornady made a ELD-X in 123 or 129 grains.

In an earlier post, in a video attachment, the fellow in the video was trying to load a bulky extruded powder (IMR4166). He was tapping the cases on his bench top trying to get the powder settled before seating his bullet. What might have helped him get a more compressed powder drop was to use a longer drop tube (8" to 12" I'm thinking). I used to shoot (a lot) in black powder cartridge matches. I used a 24" tube for the 1F powder loads in my 40-70 Sharps & 45-70 brass. It made a big difference when it came to seating bullets. There's not as much crunching with those compressed loads. A drop tube might be handy if you're using 4895, Varget or any other extruded powder. I think most reloaders here are using ball or flattened-ball powders which meter quite well so a drop tube probably won't be needed.

Has anyone here used David Tubb's Final Finish bullet kits to lap their barrels before load work-ups? I've used them for .223 & .308 barrels & they do smooth out a bore quite well. His 6.5mm kit uses 140 grain bullets. I talked to some one at his business & he said they should work just fine for the Grendel if starting loads are used.

One more thing... I haven't seen a lot in these threads about bullet crimping when posters give loading data. What's the consensus on crimping? None, light, heavy, taper, Lee Factory crimp... ?
                          Last edited by Old Bob; 11-06-2019, 05:36 PM.
                          I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• bwills80
                            Unwashed
                            • Feb 2019

Older thread, but I just started loading for my 2 6.5 Grendels. I have an AR with a Bear Creek Arsenal upper 18" barrel and a Ruger American Predator. So far the bolt gun is a fair amount more accurate, but I really just need to shoot more.

My best load @ 100yds so far has been:
                            120gr Sierra Pro Hunter over 24.7g H335 CCI primer 2.240" sub MOA
                            120gr Nosler BT loaded the same has been almost as accurate.
                            Ruger American Predator 6.5 Grendel
                            6.5 Grendel AR DPMS lower, Bear Creek Arsenal 18" upper

Comment

• Cajuntransplant
                              Bloodstained
                              • Apr 2016

I've switched back to the Hornady 123ELDM rounds loaded over ARComp. Still the most consistent and best shooting. Averaging around 2520fps from supressed 20" barrel and can hold 1/2 - 3/4 MOA out to 600yds. Easy to find components too. I liked the 107TMKs over benchmark powder but the 123ELDM just give a little more thump on targets at distance. The Gen2 PST 5-20 has been top notch as well for the Grendel. Very happy and hoping I can get out this winter for some critter control.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2015

Hornady case
                                Ar-comp at 28 grains
                                Cci450
                                120 gold dot at 2.290 coal
                                No crimp

Straight money in my 16 inch and 12.5 inch grendels.

Comment

Working...
                                X