Grendel mags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vanguard138

I ordered some extended round magazines from AA and they work great. I am going to try their 10 round.

Comment

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
      rapid prototyping machines are so cool!!!

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

"...new production magazines will be available from C Products Defense through LCJ Wholesale in late November..."

Comment

• Ridgerider

For those that are desperate for a magazine Sportsmans Warehouse sells a plastic 20 round 223 mag by Wilson N.C. Have tried it and it will accept 10 6.5 rounds and will feed them no problem.

Comment

• jwilson1985

ima have to get a stock p-mag to show yall the difference ,but its really quite simple,,, in a nut shell grind the large hump out of the anti tilt follower /taper back the feed lips at the front a smige at about 25-30deg

Comment

Originally posted by stanc View Post
              It looks like D&H has one gawd awful big bug, then.

Photo comparison of CProducts and D&H 6.8 mags:

http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...amp-H-6.8-mags
              As I looked at the D&H 6.8 mags, it looks like the large guide rib is indexed for a Grendel cartridge, not a 6.8...It's set too far back maybe.

Comment

• GaCopGolfer

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
                ima have to get a stock p-mag to show yall the difference ,but its really quite simple,,, in a nut shell grind the large hump out of the anti tilt follower /taper back the feed lips at the front a smige at about 25-30deg
                That would be awesome! I collecting parts to build either a 6.5G or a 6.8SPC and, other than the magazine issue, would greatly prefer the 6.5G. A reliable mag mod, especially in something like the P-Mag would cinch it. Have u used it on 20 rounders?

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2011

We have a lot of 6.5 Grendel Mags in stock, both by C-products and by ASC. We recommend the 15 round body blocked to 10. They always work. Have never had a single complaint on those. We believe it has something to do with the spring length, only filling part of the body, and long legs on the follower. The 25 Rounders are the biggest problem child in this bunch regardless of who makes them. They just plain bulge too much. Working with a manufacturer right now to increase the wall thickness and add some more ribbing.

Precision Firearms
                  "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
                    Do I smell a video???

Comment

• pinzgauer
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

Before everyone get's too excited over pmags, there is still the core issue of the mag body bulging badly when loaded over 10 rounds. This is not a feed lip thing, it's the thickness of the walls not allowing the grendel cases to stack in the same fashion as 5.56 does. In a true double stack, the pressure of the spring is mostly transmitted upwards by the round directly above, but on the same side. IE: Any given case touches the case on the opposite side of the stack as well as the one directly above and below in the stack.

So there is not much spring pressure trying to spread the rounds into the walls in a normal double stack like the current cprod grendel mags. (and pmag with 5.56)

The pmag walls are thicker, so the "stack" is narrower. So the Grendel cases only touch each other cases at an angle, which forces the walls to try to expand under the spring pressure.

This is the problem with pmags & grendel. No amount of lip or follower grinding will address this. I suspect any plastic mag will run into this issue. I'll try to post some photo's which show this, it's easy to see.

So yes, pmags work to a limited extent as is. But will never be as reliable or have the capacity of steel mags with the current body design.

If you are willing to pay $40 per mag, the barrett & PRI 6.8 mags may be worth a look. They are pretty mags, but I'll never pay that given my dozen or so cprod grendel mags all work flawlessly.

But trying to modify pmags is the long way around unless you are happy with 5 round mags. And still will not be as reliable as the currently available cprod. (Don't know about the ASC mags. D&H had a good rep, but the 6.8 mags photo's I've seen so far look worse than I ever saw from cprod).

Comment

• pinzgauer
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

Photos of grendel in PMAG (click for large version)

The first photo shows the narrow stack and how it creates angular forces spreading the mag walls. The grendel mag on the right has a correct double stack, with each case touching 4 others. (Directly above and below, as well as two diagonally)

The second photo shows the positioning of the bullet tips, as well as another view of the gap due to the incorrect narrow stack.

The third shows a dead on view and how the bullet tips are two low. Even if you grind the feed lip (not advised) they will still sit too low. A better option would be to heat & reshape the lip upwards.

Note: even sitting too low like they are they will still feed in the grendels I've tested. This may be due to M4 feedramps, but they work.

Other comments:

- The follower won't address the stack or lip issue.
                        - The pmags appear to have dremel work on them that I never noticed before. This is one fresh out of a package prior to my testing.
                        - Yes, I see the dented shoulder on one of the grendel rounds. That was from a jam in a pmag with 15 cartridges loaded.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Pinz, I thinned the walls on the pmag -inside.- Side to side-front to back, I wanted this mag. to work , as it's perfect for cold weather= big gloves to use it easily. I even honed the correct angle into the underside of feed lips, and follower. Got very close, to making it work - a 20 rnder., with 13 in it, then one last tweak and it;s only a way awesome 1 rounder now. If I put 2 in-- it drags the second along, while letting the charge handle go. Yeah, let it go guys. If maybe Lancer would get involved, with the metal lips molded into a poly. body,,, or Surefire,,, they make the 60-100 round mag's. for 5.56 =way cool stuff there. Maybe they could make 10, or a 20, or a 35 rnd,er. for the Grrr. Email them, tell them these thoughts= most manuf. love some side input. I've done it already. We'll have to wait for AA to make an announcement on what's next, I guess. The newest cprod. mags work if you lift the lips a bit to line up the bullet tip to center of feed ramp., the 10 rnd. has been awesome.
                          Last edited by sneaky one; 10-18-2011, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                            Pinz, I thinned the walls on the pmag -inside.- Side to side-front to back
                            Interesting, that must have been challenging! did you use a long mill to do so? trying to think how someone could do that on a 30 rounder.

I think the trick on the feed lips would be to heat and reshape rather than grind. You really don't want them thinner. I may take a grendel dummy round and see what a heat gun will do to the feed lips. Can't go too high or it will hit the bolt carrier I'm thinking.

For cold weather I'd be looking at something like rhinoliner on the mag body if that was a concern. (just the part that sticks out the mag well)

Comment

• stanc
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2011

Anybody tried 6.5 Grendel in MWG 7.62x39 nylon mags?

Comment

• jwilson1985

you ground yours differently then i did...i have yet to have a problem with mine it even works in my beowulf...im not saying that someone could not have a problem ...but i have not ,have had mine fully loaded, i ued this mag cause i had one ,alot of people just like the looks of the mag so they want it i know that ..there are mags made just for the 6.5 we all know ...i would have to say that the mod i made on the pmag is just as reliable as my metal one

Comment

Working...
                                X