Grendel at precision rifle match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grendel at precision rifle match

About seven months ago I used my Alexander Arms 19.5 inch Grendel (Shilen barrel) in a precision rifle match. These matches are sort of a cross between assault rifle, and civilian sniper rifle matches. Greatest distance for a target was 10 inch round steel plates at 500 yards. I was shooting against all sorts of bolt rifles made by known high end US, and European manufacturers. The scoring system is a combination of accuracy and speed. The Grendel served me well, and it won the match. Don't let anyone tell you that the Grendel lacks sufficient accuracy at distance. I know my Grendel made quite a few believers that day.

So far, I know of about 4 Grendel shooters at the Tri-county gun club in Oregon. If any other Oregon Grendel shooters are out there, please let us know.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2011, 03:58 AM.

We hold our first Field Precision Rifle match here in Louisiana this weekend. I'll be shooting my AA Hunter against quit an array of other weapons platforms. I really like the G and believe I will be competitive. We'll be shooting 600 yards with a 3" X-Ring.

Comment

• LRS_Ranger

Make that one more as of this week Noone... Hopefully I'll get a good load worked up this weekend...

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by noone View Post
        The Grendel served me well, and it won the match.
        Being a bit modest, are we? I thought it was the anti-gunners who attributed intention to an inanimate object!

Great shootin', man!

John
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Originally posted by JWH View Post
          Being a bit modest, are we? I thought it was the anti-gunners who attributed intention to an inanimate object!

Great shootin', man!

John
          Yep; equipment don't win matches, shooters do.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by RStewart View Post
            We hold our first Field Precision Rifle match here in Louisiana this weekend. I'll be shooting my AA Hunter against quit an array of other weapons platforms. I really like the G and believe I will be competitive. We'll be shooting 600 yards with a 3" X-Ring.
            RS:

What is the course of fire you guys use in that type of event?

LR1955

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
              RS:

What is the course of fire you guys use in that type of event?

LR1955
              We do 3 strings of 20 rounds with 2 sighters each round. We have the rules posted on Snipers Hide under Tactical Competitions or I can PM them to you if you want to read them.
              Rick
              Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2011, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pappy42 View Post
                Yep; equipment don't win matches, shooters do.
                Yep, the loose nut behind the trigger is always the weak link.

[just joking about the loose nut] it is an old saying in some circles.

This was not directed at Al (pappy) we get along really well.

Comment

Originally posted by warped View Post
                  Yep, the loose nut behind the trigger is always the weak link.

[just joking about the loose nut] it is an old saying in some circles.

This was not directed at Al (pappy) we get along really well.
                  At my age, the nut(s) is getting looser and looser. Sigh

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by warped View Post
                    Yep, the loose nut behind the trigger is always the weak link. [just joking about the loose nut] it is an old saying in some circles. This was not directed at Al (pappy) we get along really well.
                    Warped / Pappy:

Not always. Only to a point. Guys too often blame themselves for poor performance and more often than not, it isn't them but their rifle / ammo / sighting system. Or, guys have unrealistic expectations from their equipment and when it fails them, they blame themselves instead of finding out why.

LR55

Comment

I was speaking of knowledgeable shooters, such as you I and some of the others.

We both know when it is us, we also recognize when it is the rifle.

That takes experience, some shooters are far too impatient and that results in a false conclusion.

BTW give a call when you get the chance.

I do agree with you though.

Many times the rifle gets blamed for something that is the fault of optics, I have seen that far too often.

Even reticle designs can be a real problem, using cross hairs that obstruct the target is just one of the problems.

Comment

I can afford and do have some top notch equipment. Does it automaticaly make me win matches? Nope! Still gotta be a SHOOTER.

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

I can afford and do have some top notch equipment. Does it automaticaly make me win matches? Nope! Still gotta be a SHOOTER.
                          P42:

Absolutely. However, with the best gear for the specific purpose, a shooter knows it is him who either does well or not. Process of elimination. I have found with less experienced shooters that they normally blame poor performance on themselves when their gear really is a huge contributing factor. Surprisingly, even relatively inexperienced shooters can probably shoot better than the mechanical potential provided by a service grade barrel, cheap Russian ball ammo, and lousy sighting systems.

LR55

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                            P42:

Absolutely. However, with the best gear for the specific purpose, a shooter knows it is him who either does well or not. Process of elimination. I have found with less experienced shooters that they normally blame poor performance on themselves when their gear really is a huge contributing factor. Surprisingly, even relatively inexperienced shooters can probably shoot better than the mechanical potential provided by a service grade barrel, cheap Russian ball ammo, and lousy sighting systems.

LR55
                            LR,
                            You could shoot an airsoft rifle and beat most of us. You know you could take that "service grade barrel", ect. and outshoot a lot of folks with the best rifle made.

When you find that rifle that controls it's own trigger, reads wind and mirage, and instinctively knows when to hold'em and when to run'em; please buy it for me because I sure could use one.

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

LR,
                              You could shoot an airsoft rifle and beat most of us. You know you could take that "service grade barrel", ect. and outshoot a lot of folks with the best rifle made.

When you find that rifle that controls it's own trigger, reads wind and mirage, and instinctively knows when to hold'em and when to run'em; please buy it for me because I sure could use one.
                              Pappy:

No, not that good and not getting much better.

Have seen way too many Soldiers blame themselves when the culprit is primarily a service grade (and normally trashed) carbine or A-2 firing 855 ball using dot sights or ACOGs that just don't work real well for the task.

No, they should'nt be issued a match grade carbine and ammo because that is the other extreme where they probably won't have the time, motivation, or ability to meet the mechanical potential of their gear. Would be a waste of money.

I guess it is a fine line between equipment and skill. Just that in more cases than otherwise, Joe could shoot his carbine or A-2 better than its mechanical potential (which is pretty poor by civilian standards) but they didn't know it. When that happens, not much you can do to convince him he is good. He has to see good and won't if his blaster / ammo combination shoots four or five minutes.

Got to go. If / when John and Bill set up a Training forum I can go into more detail. Right now I need to do some work with guys who are much better than their trashed A-2's.

LR1955

Comment

Working...
                              X