X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by noone View Post
    About seven months ago I used my Alexander Arms 19.5 inch Grendel (Shilen barrel) in a precision rifle match. These matches are sort of a cross between assault rifle, and civilian sniper rifle matches. Greatest distance for a target was 10 inch round steel plates at 500 yards. I was shooting against all sorts of bolt rifles made by known high end US, and European manufacturers. The scoring system is a combination of accuracy and speed. The Grendel served me well, and it won the match. Don't let anyone tell you that the Grendel lacks sufficient accuracy at distance. I know my Grendel made quite a few believers that day.

So far, I know of about 4 Grendel shooters at the Tri-county gun club in Oregon. If any other Oregon Grendel shooters are out there, please let us know.
    If I remember, you are in the Portland, Oregon area, right? Any more matches coming up?

Bill

Comment

• infidel470

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      If I remember, you are in the Portland, Oregon area, right? Any more matches coming up?

Bill
      Bill, there is a 3 gun match second Saturday of May at TCGC.

Comment

We also have a precision rifle match coming up in August. 600 yard tactical/prone shooting is every Tuesday evening, and the third saturday of each month.

There are two classes for the tactical/prone. Unlimited from a bench; from prone, you can't adjust the front rest. You can use sandbags, a bi-pod, tri-pod, or cradle, but you are not allowed to adjust the front rest like the bench rest shooters do. Rear bags are allowed in both classes. 2 sighter shots, and 20 shots for record. They use the F-class 600 yard target where the X-ring is half moa (3 inches), and the 10-ring is one moa (6 inches).

The bench crowd usually shoots 200/200 with the X count sorting out top shooters. For the tactical/prone group, any score over 195 is doing pretty good. Although there is one fellow who shoots a bench rest gun from prone, and he usually shoots 200/200. But, most of the fellows who shoot this class use what would probably be referred to as true tactical rifles.

Some examples of rifles used in the tactical/prone class:
        6.5 Grendel with a 20 inch Kreiger barrel, billet upper
        30-06 built on a blueprinted Remington 700 with Kreiger barrel
        260 Remington with 27 inch Obermeyer barrel in Manners stock
        TRG22 in 308
        FN bolt rifle with 24 inch barrel in 308 (patrol rifle) (this rifle shoots REALLY well...usually a half MOA rifle)
        GA precision 308 with 24 inch barrel in Manners stock

The Bench rest class uses classic bench rest rifles, with cartridges like the 6 mm Dasher and similar rigs. This fellow often scores 20/20 X ring hits at 600. There is another shooter using a 6.5-06 improved, and he does pretty well also.

Comment

Working...
        X