+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To Preload or Not to Preload?

MrSurgicalPrecision

To Preload or Not to Preload?

So I kinda think bipods are a necessary evil sometimes. I prefer shooting off of anything that's not attached to the rifle. But when you're shooting prone, do you preload your bipod or not? I have a set of Pod Claws on my Harris and I load my bipod up, but not really that heavily. Just interested to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Rootshot
    I used to preload but found it didn't make any noticeable difference. Having one less thing to think about helps me concentrate on other elements of my technique.

--Rootshot

warped
    I was always taught to pre-load and it works especially if follow ups are to be made or a belt fed is being used.

If I don't load the bipod, POI is usually ~1 moa higher versus shooting from bags.
    Drifter

mtn_shooter
    I do. Much better for spotting hits on steel.

Marksmanship Moderator
    OK Guys:

Some folks reading this don't know that you mean by 'preloading'. Although I know what it means, it isn't a term I have heard until now to describe putting force on the bipod.

So, for the benefit of guys who don't know or only have a vague notion of what you guys mean, what type of force is applied, in what direction, how much, and why?

LR1955

MrSurgicalPrecision
    Quote Originally Posted by LR1955 View Post
    OK Guys:

Some folks reading this don't know that you mean by 'preloading'. Although I know what it means, it isn't a term I have heard until now to describe putting force on the bipod.

So, for the benefit of guys who don't know or only have a vague notion of what you guys mean, what type of force is applied, in what direction, how much, and why?

LR1955
    Good point, and I've always called it preloading. Wasn't aware of any other terms for it. I apply forward pressure on the rifle by basically inching my body forward until I'm applying a light force against my bipod legs through my shoulder against the buttstock of the rifle. I don't load up really heavy, I just apply enough force to get the feet to dig in, but that's probably much more force than you can apply to a set of standard bipod feet. I've found it to help a little bit in more rapid re-engagements, but haven't seen a shift in accuracy or POI.

Mutt
    I load my bipod, always have. Was taught taht way. You push forward on the rifle (if you can get traction or have something to push against) putting pressure against the legs of the bipod.

By loading the bipod, it takes up alot of the possible movements. It keeps the legs from sliding and helps you get your buttstock tight against your shoulder. It also immoblilizes the front of the weapon. When firing, it takes out almost all of the jump of the muzzle and allows for a very fast follow up shot. This is very important when hunting or shooting at those who are shooting back. I've never been a fan of using sand bags. They just let the muzzle jump and you have to work at getting your rilfe back into position after the shot. Granted, you use what you can in given situations. If all I have is a tree limp or a sand bag to use then they are more than fine. But, if I have a choice I prefer the bipod and prefer to load up the legs.

LRRPF52
    Especially with the AR and auto-loaders in general, if you let them "free-recoil" from a relatively relaxed position, the groups tend to open-up quite a bit. The AR requires some definite muscling, without muscling your sight picture and trigger manipulation...a tough balancing act really.

Quote Originally Posted by warped View Post
    I was always taught to pre-load and it works especially if follow ups are to be made or a belt fed is being used.
    Me too.

+ Reply to Thread